Exhuast Emissions

Discuss issues related to the NCT \ MOT

Moderator: Moderators

Exhuast Emissions

Postby Helen » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:59 am

Hi. My car failed the NCT as expected, Sent it to the Mitsubishi Dealer in sligo to get it sorter. was just told that car is a import the computer can not read it so they have to start with a loading sensor or something like that and keep going till they find the problem. €€€€€€€€€

I dont want to spent a fortune on her so advice needed asap. What do we think the problem could be.
I shoud have all the parts needed in the old car so should i get it out of the garage.

Help :)
Helen
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby CJ » Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:08 pm

Helen, I assume theres a cat in place?

The lambda sensor (aka oxygen senseor) in the cat could be faulty which can make the car run rich. A decent mechanic should be able to test the sensor, also, a diagnostic might show up something. Check to make sure that the wires haven't broken off the sensor, you can see if if you get under the car on the drivers side.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Helen » Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:49 pm

There is no cat on her. I have one in the house tho but the guy in the NCT centre told me i did not need to have one on it. Thinking i will have to put it on and see if it works.
Helen
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby CJ » Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:20 pm

Helen wrote:There is no cat on her. I have one in the house tho but the guy in the NCT centre told me i did not need to have one on it. Thinking i will have to put it on and see if it works.

Thats a surprise, IIRC only pre '93 cars can qualify without a cat. Would make sense to stick it back for the NCT ;)

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Helen » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:02 pm

Maybe he was talking rubbish, its alot of work to do if its not necessary. Do you think i should let them change the sensor etc first. it's going to cost me a small fortune if i do.
Where do ye get yer bulbs from €32.00 before vat they have quoted me for a bulb, is that about right?
Helen
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby Muad_dib77 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:12 pm

Helen that's a super-gold-deluxe bulb. You can get crappy ones at the petrol station for a tenner. Mind you - they ARE crappy ones.. should till pass the nct for you though
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Tiomáint sé cosúil go bhfuil tú déanach i gcás maise!
Muad_dib77

Postby kevinod » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:16 pm

http://www.powerbulbs.co.uk is where I got mine last, free sidelight bulbs and all at the time!
Steel Silver manual GR (95 C)
kevinod

bulbs

Postby karlf » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:35 pm

Try the local motor factor for bulbs. In my experience they are always cheaper than the likes of halfords. Got dip head light bulbs before and they were €2 a bulb cheaper than halfords.
karlf
I'm addicted to my FTO
I'm addicted to my FTO

Re: Exhuast Emissions

Postby Kace » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:12 pm

Helen wrote:Hi. My car failed the NCT as expected

Why as expected ? Did you get the previous owner's last NCT cert ? What were the emissions then ?

I presume you carried out the most basic precaution before you went for NCT - drive the living bejesus out of the car so that it's all super warm before going anywhere near the centre.
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:15 am

As per CJ - the first and most important step is just make sure the CAT is on before the next NCT test - you won't pass without it.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to NCT \ MOT