What to get

Discuss other marques here

Moderator: Moderators

What to get

Postby Ed » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:54 am

Right guys, I haven't been on in a while, but I have a question. I have a few quid coming to me and I'm looking to get a new car. I currently have a Mazda MX5. It's not a bad car, and I'm considering a turbo for it.

The other solution is to get an FTO again, or an EVO. I was looking on carzone and I saw and RX7 too. I want to stay away from scoobies though as it seems everyone and his brother has one. I saw an s2000 for salin up north too for 14K. what would the duty be on bringing it in?

Anyway I'm looking for a Japanese car under 2.0L (unless it's an NSX. I'd love one of them) any ideas? I'll have about 15K plus my car (about 5K) so I'm just looking for ideas at the moment.

Ed
Ed
Unleaded
Unleaded

Postby CJ » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:11 pm

Fitting a turbo to the MX-5 should provide a lot of extra power and is reasonably reliable. I would love an RX-7 myself but they're just not reliable enough as a daily driver IMO. EVO - nice powerful machine with big running costs. Scoobies, as you say, every sham has one! S2k, now thats a cracking machine, I had the pleasure of driving Adrians for a brief period and enjoyed it immensely.

What about a Trueno? They're nice looking machines with plenty of power?

Ultimately, you need to think about how you will be using the car, running and servicing costs and the like. Practical but sporty is what you're after by the sounds of things, in other words, an FTO ;)

CK
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby paulkenny » Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:26 pm

If you import yourself, 20K should get you on the road in a 00/01 S15 Silvia Spec R (RWD Turbo :D ) or the DC5 Integra Type R. Both machines have over 200bhp ..look decent and are well spec'd

Integra Type R
Silvia S15
paulkenny
Octane king
Octane king

Postby Ed » Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:06 pm

Yeah, I was thinking of a Sylvia too. They are pretty nice. anyone know about the Celica GT4? or even a late Mk2 Mr2 Turbo?

Is the Evo that mush to run? Seriously I wouldn't drive the pants of it, well maybe every now and then :) but i'm not really into trashing the car all the time. how often do I need to service an evo? I do know that is anything goes in an evo though, it's huge cash to replace. I was told the Evo 1 - 3 are more reliable than 4 - 6. Does anyone have experience of this?

Ed
Ed
Unleaded
Unleaded

Postby soc » Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:05 pm

Ed wrote:Yeah, I was thinking of a Sylvia too. They are pretty nice. anyone know about the Celica GT4? or even a late Mk2 Mr2 Turbo?

Is the Evo that mush to run? Seriously I wouldn't drive the pants of it, well maybe every now and then :) but i'm not really into trashing the car all the time. how often do I need to service an evo? I do know that is anything goes in an evo though, it's huge cash to replace. I was told the Evo 1 - 3 are more reliable than 4 - 6. Does anyone have experience of this?

Ed

AFAIK Evo's need servicing every 5000 miles or so, not to mention the mpg of 12-13 and the insurance. I know someone running a very nice Evo VI and it costs him around €2k - €2.5k a year in servicing costs alone.
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Re: What to get

Postby soc » Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:16 pm

Ed wrote:Anyway I'm looking for a Japanese car under 2.0L (unless it's an NSX. I'd love one of them) any ideas?

Isn't an RX7 classed as a 2.6lt car because it's twin rotary?

For around €20k would you consider something like an MRS and getting it turbo'd. I remember I saw one someone on the net before with big wide wheels, wide arches and a turbo and it looked amazing! Or what about an Altezza? Beams or RS?

The other car that would tempt me is the Legacy B4 but I'd have to change some bits to get away from the chav image....

Of course the FTO would still top the list - get a nice 98/99 vR for around €13k, nice set of wheels, a touch of lowering, some leather (or leatherette), a nice 2xtwin exhaust (as per MfFTO) and take off the spoiler.... nice
8)
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to Other Cars