letting off steam

Use this forum to discuss anything and everything non-FTO related

Moderator: Moderators

letting off steam

Postby mcgon1979 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:57 am

extract - I near had the car written off today, (through no fault of my own)

At 830am this morning (24/12/09) on my commute to work I was almost involved in a very serious accident. This accident was preventable, and I describe it to you now in an effort to highlight a serious problem on our roads.

I was travelling from Glenamuck road Dublin 18 towards the M50 Junction 15 to travel northbound on the M50.
I approached the final roundabout intending to take the slip-road off the roundabout to the M50 northbound.
I looked right to ensure the roundabout was presently empty. It was, so I pulled out. As I drove around the roundabout a car came from behind the roundabout travelling in the wrong direction and headed directly towards me. I need to emphasise, this car was travelling in the wrong direction (counter clockwise) around a large roundabout and directly into oncoming traffic. I had to brake hard (in icy conditions) to avoid a collision. The offending car and driver completely unaware of any wrongdoing continued to drive right past the front of my car as if nothing had happened, and then proceeded to drive the wrong way down the Ballyogan ENTRY slipway onto the roundabout.
What is wrong with this situation? The lady driving was a foreign national and obviously has absolutely ZERO understanding of the rules of the roads in this country. How is it possible she can get insurance to drive a car when she does not understand the BASIC rules of the road (i.e. what direction you can take roundabouts). I don't want to spend my Christmas dead because the authorities and the system here in Ireland allow anyone to drive a 2 ton piece of metal and endanger the lives of every road user.
There is something wrong with a system that allows this to happen. It's Russian roulette behaviour.
I have reported this car 06D37XXX to Traffic Watch although I am not confident anything will be done to remedy this driver, or the situation of unqualified drivers. They will be allowed to continue driving 'by instinct' until they drive over someone on a cycle lane etc. Why do we need to wait until there is a fatality. This person is unfit to drive and I will contest that fact in a court of law if required. I feel seriously aggrieved that I could have been injured or killed today for absolutely no good reason at all. It is a preventable situation and by reporting I am trying to afford those who enforce safety on our roads the opportunity to prevent it. Please don't waste this opportunity. At least find out why and how this driver could possibly be out there driving 'by instinct' and endangering lives. Please contact me by email or phone if any other information is required. I do not want to see this driver cause a fatality on the road.
Ma olen kaine!
mcgon1979
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Re: letting off steam

Postby Dragonheart » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:33 am

You're lucky McGon, very lucky.

Couple of things I noticed and points I'll make;

1 - Theres a very likely chance that the driver is not even insured, I put up a post about a year ago about cars in the estate I was living in that had no tax, insurance, or NCT, (I think out of 16 it was 7 that were legal yet all were being driven). A cop car was in that estate at least once a week doing errands or whatever, and they didnt spot it? I doubt it somehow.

2 - How much are we paying insurance, and how much (if she even is) is she paying? I'm a firm believer that a retest is required if driving in a country that the rules are not like yours, roundabouts are especially hazardous. Even at home in the summer I've often been driving to the golf course before 7 in the morning and met a campervan on the wrong side of the road. When theres no other traffic on the road and so early in the morning they seem to forget what side to drive on. Maybe not a retest for visitors but if staying here for a certain period of time some form of lesson should be given or taken.

I know that a lot of foreign nationals in the country, (take the lads on our forum for instance), know the rules and abide by them, and pay tax insurance and NCT like everyone else, but again like everything its the select few that make people annoyed and tar everyone with the same brush. Its unfair that we should pay our way and if something does happen against a car thats not insured we fork out. And this excuse of no english and not understanding the laws of the country is bull, if you cant understand it then dont come here, simple as. When I was coming to NZ I had to prove I spoke and understood written english, even though I was coming from a mainly english speaking country. Things need to change, and fast.
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Mitsumaniac » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:40 am

mcgon1979 wrote:What is wrong with this situation? The lady driving was a foreign national and obviously has absolutely ZERO understanding of the rules of the roads in this country. How is it possible she can get insurance to drive a car when she does not understand the BASIC rules of the road (i.e. what direction you can take roundabouts). I don't want to spend my Christmas dead because the authorities and the system here in Ireland allow anyone to drive a 2 ton piece of metal and endanger the lives of every road user.

Well , I understand that you`re angry etc., but exactly the same situation happens very often when IE/UK drivers leave a ferry in France or rent a car in many LHD countries... I personally saw exactly the same situation which happened to you this morning, but in Spain. Unfortunately we all are in EU and there are the same road rules in every country, just opposite sides. Also, your drivers licence is valid in whole Europe and this is the oly document you need to drive a car eather LHD or RHD.

I`m not saying that I understand and advocate this woman... But I think it`s her personal problem and nationality and insurance has nothing to do with it. Personaly it`took me 2 hours to get used to RHD traffic when I came to Ireland. Since then I`ve completely no problems with driving both sides of the road.

Thomas
http://www.newhorizonstyling.com - Wide range of GRP and Carbon fibre panels
Mitsumaniac
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby Mitsumaniac » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:55 am

Dragonheart wrote:1 - Theres a very likely chance that the driver is not even insured,

oh come on... how do you know that it wasn`t insured, how do you know if she was foreign?

I put up a post about a year ago about cars in the estate I was living in that had no tax, insurance, or NCT, (I think out of 16 it was 7 that were legal yet all were being driven). A cop car was in that estate at least once a week doing errands or whatever, and they didnt spot it? I doubt it somehow.

I assume you`re talking about natives?

2 - How much are we paying insurance, and how much (if she even is) is she paying? I'm a firm believer that a retest is required if driving in a country that the rules are not like yours, roundabouts are especially hazardous. (....) Maybe not a retest for visitors but if staying here for a certain period of time some form of lesson should be given or taken.

How would you control if someone is a visitor or staying in the country for good? Maybe you mean the old good visa system?

Again, I think this is more a matter of some manual and menthal abilities to drive tests, before you pass your licence test.
Mitsumaniac
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby mcgon1979 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:25 pm

ok. alot of irish people seem very quick to jump to the "how do you now they are foreign nationals" etc. I am not a racist. My partner is a foreign national (esotnian) and I know many of you are not from here originally. but I'll get straight to the point if you promise not to call me a racist. I have found (personally) that the driving standard of nigerian women is NIL in alot of cases.
this woman was of african ethnicity and had the big cultural head dress on etc. yes, she may have been Irish or EU citizen, but I doubt it. And I got the feeling that she didn't make a "mistake" by driving the wrong way around a roundabout and down a one way slip ramp, I think she just was driving by the "seat of her pants".
yes, thats just my opinion, but please don't attack me as racist for this observation which I am entitled to make.
Ma olen kaine!
mcgon1979
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Postby Sebastian » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:39 pm

that was a scarry experience i bet and i know exacly how you feel . glad it was nothing serious and you were ambe to control the situation
no1. manual GR 96 l no2. tip GR 95 l no3. manual Gpx 95 l no.4 manual Gpx 95 l no.5 manual Gpx 96 l no.6 tip GR 95 - in 2011 took a break from the FTO scene
Sebastian

Postby Dragonheart » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:41 pm

Thomas,

Firstly I never said she was foreign, and I also said LIKELY she wasn't insured.

Secondly, no I'm not talking about natives, the estate I was living in was mostly rented by foreign nationals, you want me to be more precise? I could state the nationality if you want but this isnt anything against a race or foreign nationals so I'm not. I know because a lot of the cars were reg from a certain country, in the estate for over 2 years, cars that are supposed to be registered and have VRT payed, as you did when you bought yours from england for instance. The people living below me, and beside them, and also beside me were all from one certain country, I know cause I talked to them. Out of those all had cars, one was properly taxed and insured. One of those families had 2 other families in the estate visting them regularly, both of those had cars with incorrect tax or insurance.

Like I said before I've nothing against the ones paying their way, and this goes for the Irish ones too, cause there are certainly some Irish that dont pay their fair fees either, but its the ones who blatantly get away with it, and who make no effort that I have a problem with. I came over here and bought a car, and I payed my tax, I'm getting the WOF done when its out, why? Cause its the law.

I worked with a guy from Poland in an office and he brought his car over from Poland, and paid a fortune for VRT, and he was really annoyed when he saw people getting away with it. His thinking was if they get away with it why cant I? And hes right, it cant be one rule for one and a different one for another.

And yes I'm sure you do see instances like this in the European mainland where UK and Irish drivers drive on the wrong side of the road, hence why I said when driving in a country where the rules are different, and I didnt specifically say when foreigners are driving in Ireland. I researched the rules of the road before I came here and there are some differences but I made sure I knew them before I started driving.

Lets get this straight, I'm not picking on foreigners right? I'm annoyed with people from all nationalities and races who do it, Irish included.
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby mcgon1979 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:46 pm

hey guys,
its alll good. thanks for the support comments. I guess I was just so angry earlier when I wrote the initial email. I think mistakes can happen (as indicated) to drivers who are used tod riving on the right side. but... I see some very hairy driving by Africans and I think its more a lack of driving experience in general. You have to be VERY careful saying that because Irish people today seem TOO QUICK to play the racist card if you mention anything about where a person is from. Even if its relevant to the story.
I suppose I was trying to say that the African drivers I have seen don't seem to have the same road knowledge or road experience as the European drivers (Irish included).
anyway, I meant no offence. Irish drivers are bad too but I have not met someone on the wrong way around a roundabout yet. thankfully. keep safe out there lads, it's ICY as...
Ma olen kaine!
mcgon1979
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Postby Mitsumaniac » Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:21 pm

mcgon1979 wrote: I have found (personally) that the driving standard of nigerian women is NIL in alot of cases.
this woman was of african ethnicity and had the big cultural head dress on etc. yes, she may have been Irish or EU citizen, but I doubt it. And I got the feeling that she didn't make a "mistake" by driving the wrong way around a roundabout and down a one way slip ramp, I think she just was driving by the "seat of her pants".

:) if this part was in your first post i`d agree with everything and I`m not a racist too :)
Sorry lads maybe I also overreacted.
Mitsumaniac
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby optical illusion » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:28 pm

Lets not get the PC brigade out now.

I know plenty of foreign nationals who are neither taxed or insured and they laugh when I tell them it's illegal and say they will get away with it so it doesn't matter.

Around the M50 in particular, there have been many reported cases of people driving down the wrong way on the motorway.

Having been to Africa and seen the way African's drive, we were taking our lives in our hands driving there. There are simply, no rules. I have seen an awful lot of crashes with foreign nationals involved.

It's like this, when I am going ON HOLIDAY in a different country and hiring a car, I go out of my way to study the rules of that country's roads. Imagine living here and not knowing?!?!
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dilogoat86 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:25 pm

I think if we were to look at the situation and take the immediate racial card out of the deck then what you have is a simple problem. People who come here and buy a Cinqecento or Secento etc. and don't learn to drive and then drive around in a bad car without the proper education in driving are going to be a problem. Not saying all foreign nationals are this category, but when I see something odd happen on the road 9 times out of 10 I can guess what type of driver it is. It comes down to one solution as well, new drivers need to go through a far tougher testing system similar to the German system. The Irish driving system is arseways anyway. They're only starting to get on top of it now with the new provisional rules etc. but there's still a lot of reform needed.

Dilo.
Currently in my collection:
'98 Toyota Starlet...
'79 Mini Clubman 1380cc ~100BHP (I hope)
'79 BMW 728
Dilogoat86
I prefer my FTO to the missus
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Postby mcgon1979 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:40 am

I've been asked to make a statement about this and would I be prepared to follow it to court...
dunno.
Ma olen kaine!
mcgon1979
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Postby soc » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:28 pm

mcgon1979 wrote:I've been asked to make a statement about this and would I be prepared to follow it to court...
dunno.

You should follow this through - it doesn't matter why this person was driving the wrong way around the roundabout (mistake, deliberate, who cares) - she could have hit you head on - you were lucky. She could do it again and maybe hit a family, maybe injure someone or worse.
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:34 pm

I'm in agreement with soc on this one, he raised some valid points. I say follow it through.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dragonheart » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:48 pm

Agreed. Follow it up.
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby optical illusion » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:24 pm

What's the worst that can happen, you won't have to pay anything.
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby mcgon1979 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:56 am

went along and made a signed statement as to what happened that morning. That'll be it for a month or two now.
Ma olen kaine!
mcgon1979
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Postby optical illusion » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:20 pm

Fair play for having the balls.
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby mcgon1979 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:32 am

I'd be a total hypocrite to come on here and moan and then not do something when offered the chance. plus I think its the right thing to do. the driver obviously had no clue and could well cause an accident or worse, so I suppose I had to really. Not a single person thought otherwise too which helped nudge me in the right direction. cheers all
Ma olen kaine!
mcgon1979
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Return to Off Topic