Looking for insurance

Compare and discuss insurance quotes here (Registered users only)

Moderator: Moderators

Looking for insurance

Postby Dragonheart » Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:17 pm

I'm just after buying an FTO from Japan, paid for it today. should be arriving soon, looking for insurance, very hard to get, my own company (hibernian) wont deal with it, got a quote of €3842 from 123.ie. Can someone help me!? i'm 26, driving since 99, (cept took 3 years out of the insurance cause of college so its not all together), but the last 3 year have been of 2 years with named, and the last 8 months full on my own. Anyone any ideas? (By the way its a GPX Mi-Vec 2 litre.)
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby kevinod » Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:48 pm

One to consider would be the xcess (?) policy with 123.ie maybe, something like 900 quid but with 4k excess. With only 8 months in your own name currently you'll be doing well to get many quotes at all.

Have you tried Britton & Quinn Direct?
Steel Silver manual GR (95 C)
kevinod

Postby CJ » Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:59 pm

Hi Dragonheart

Welcome to the bain of FTO owners - insurance!

Get onto as many brokers as possible, QD won't quote you on the FTO but worth trying. Heres a few other options:

www.brittoninsurance.com
www.xsdirect.ie
www.insure.ie

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dragonheart » Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:13 pm

thanks for the info. Seems every place asks is it an import though. Any ways round that?
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:18 pm

Dragonheart wrote:Seems every place asks is it an import though. Any ways round that?

No, the FTO was never released in the domestic market so its only ever going to be classed as an import.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby kevinod » Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:18 pm

Around it being an import? No, the FTO was only made for the Japanese market, except for a few being brought into the UK by Ralliart but even those are still regarded as imports I think.

Unfortunately insurance when it comes to the FTO is even more illogical than the rest of the insurance world. More powerful & more expensive cars are cheaper to insure.
Steel Silver manual GR (95 C)
kevinod

Postby IrishPhoenix » Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:14 pm

just tried britton insurance there and only 1080.18! with 350 excess! Thats much cheaper than what i'm paying. My insurance aint due till feb. might shop around more
You know, somebody actually complimented me on my driving today. They left a little note on the windscreen, it said 'Parking Fine'.
- Tommy Cooper
IrishPhoenix
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby Helen » Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:43 pm

Try John Kelly insurance in Boyle Co. Roscommon on 071-9662124, i have sent loads of my mates there and they all have got good quotes. mine is insured with them through A.R.B.
Helen
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby IrishPhoenix » Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:06 pm

just rang axa. 1300 brick for insurance with them. :x
You know, somebody actually complimented me on my driving today. They left a little note on the windscreen, it said 'Parking Fine'.
- Tommy Cooper
IrishPhoenix
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby AL » Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:47 am

IP, how did you get that quote so low from AXA, ok it aint the best ive seen , but far too low for an AXA quote, are you with them already?
AL
I prefer my FTO to the missus
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Postby Mustang » Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:59 am

AL wrote:IP, how did you get that quote so low from AXA, ok it aint the best ive seen , but far too low for an AXA quote, are you with them already?

AXA quotes are outrageous got one for 5k myself a few years back. They did a mail shot recently saying how they had realigned their rates (or some such). My mum contacted them on the strength of this and it does appear as if their rates have genuinely come down -didn't give them the business though :wink:
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Colin C » Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:11 pm

I got a quote from AXA earlier in the year & it wasn't too bad. around the 1300 yoyos as well, as far as I can remember. I got cover with Allianz who wouldn't quote me origionally when I rang them directly but when I got onto my broker I was told that the company you currently hold a policy with is obliged to quote you on any car. I was already with Allianz & ended up getting cover for around the 1100 mark. That on a manual GPX & I was 27 with full licence for 8 years & 7 years no claims.
Steel Silver GPX Manual.
Colin C
Speed freak
Speed freak

Return to Motor Insurance