2010 Renewals - Up or Down

Compare and discuss insurance quotes here (Registered users only)

Moderator: Moderators

2010 Renewals - Up or Down

Postby Kace » Mon May 24, 2010 11:05 pm

I just received my renewal for the year and as expected the bloody thing is on the up again.

Just curious how many of you have managed to keep a similar premium to last year, or has everyone been on the up when renewing ? If you have had to increase your payments, have you increased by much (10-20%) ?

Obviously I will be shopping around again, but I haven't come across anything that matches last year's numbers.
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Re: 2010 Renewals - Up or Down

Postby Sebastian » Tue May 25, 2010 12:14 am

Kace wrote:I just received my renewal for the year and as expected the bloody thing is on the up again.

Just curious how many of you have managed to keep a similar premium to last year, or has everyone been on the up when renewing ? If you have had to increase your payments, have you increased by much (10-20%) ?

Obviously I will be shopping around again, but I haven't come across anything that matches last year's numbers.

This might be a bit strange but ours went considerably ...down :roll:
no1. manual GR 96 l no2. tip GR 95 l no3. manual Gpx 95 l no.4 manual Gpx 95 l no.5 manual Gpx 96 l no.6 tip GR 95 - in 2011 took a break from the FTO scene
Sebastian

Postby Dragonheart » Tue May 25, 2010 12:33 am

Down, but thats by changing companies, didnt get an actual renewal quote from Quinn as I cancelled my policy in June last year so dont know what they would have quoted if I was still with them come renewal time.
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Kace » Tue May 25, 2010 9:31 am

Well for the first time last year I got below the magical €500, so I wanted to keep it that way this year.

Just wanted to get everyone's views so that I have some market research when I'm speaking to the insurance companies who will probably tell me that everyone's premiums have gone up this year.
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby optical illusion » Tue May 25, 2010 5:26 pm

I'm still with same company, mine went down. Not by miles or anything mind you, but in the current climate, I won't complain.
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Uncle B » Tue May 25, 2010 10:37 pm

I was quoted the same price as last year €1905 FC and €1530 TPF&T.
Going TPF&T

I couldn't get any other quotes so I'm happy enough.
Get out of here Nebulon! No one likes your style...
Uncle B
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Postby miss-enzo » Wed May 26, 2010 12:04 am

mine went up 200! what a joke! got a quote online and it was almost 300 cheaper! needless to say i rang & gave them an earfull about not looking after their customers. im still gonna shop around though... although im finding it very difficult to get a quote off anyone else even though im 25 with 6yrs ncb!! apparently its a "high performance sports car" yet i can insure a s15 (turbo) for cheaper.... ya that makes real sense.... i dont know where they get their quote from at all!!
My FTO is for sale viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12725
miss-enzo
My other car's an FTO...as well

Postby Uncle B » Wed May 26, 2010 12:16 am

FTO's seem to get crashed a fair bit I'd say. Sure look at the one on Corrie!
Get out of here Nebulon! No one likes your style...
Uncle B

Postby Dragonheart » Wed May 26, 2010 12:34 am

Uncle B wrote:FTO's seem to get crashed a fair bit I'd say. Sure look at the one on Corrie!

Thats what he gets for letting the missus drive it.....(waits for the reactions!)
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Wed May 26, 2010 8:22 am

Mrs. CJs quote up 20% with Quinn, suffice is to say we'll be shopping around...

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mustang » Wed May 26, 2010 12:53 pm

Mine has gone up considerably will have to check exact figures but I think it's in the region of an additional €150. Not so easy to shop around with a FTO to cover. :roll:

Edit, in 2008 my renewal (don't have a figure for last year as I was not renewing with the FTO at the time), was €517, this year it's €701. An increase of 35% :smt013 I tried insure.ie there today -coming in at €713 :roll:
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Kace » Thu May 27, 2010 11:32 am

Britton wouldn't budge for me upon initial call even though the premium has jumped from €470 to €670. Girl on the phone was harping on about the entire industry prices raising - including her own (poor dear), so I had to tried a couple more companies (looking for TPFT only).

- Aviva (no quote on phone, even though online quote worked - €670)
- Aaran €830 through Axa (the only company out of 14 that provided a quotation for them)
- Quinn €570

I'll give Britton one more change to keep my business (2 cars with them for the past 4-5 years). Looks like I am going Quinn for the first time.

The guy on the phone from Quinn was very good, was very clear about the policy and did some good upselling by telling me that I get another 10% off at renewal time if we have another car insured with Quinn. He gave me a 5% discount for something else - can't even remember what. Good first impression of Quinn - I may have to go with them, even though the price still represents a 20% premium rise for me :-/
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Mustang » Thu May 27, 2010 11:52 am

Mustang wrote:Mine has gone up considerably will have to check exact figures but I think it's in the region of an additional €150. Not so easy to shop around with a FTO to cover. :roll:

Edit, in 2008 my renewal (don't have a figure for last year as I was not renewing with the FTO at the time), was €517, this year it's €701. An increase of 35% :smt013 I tried insure.ie there today -coming in at €713 :roll:

On a matter of principle I wouldn't go with Quinn, I was insured with them for a year way back when, and found them petty, inflexible and unhelpful.
That was when I had a minstream car as well. They are the Ryanair of the insurance would -cheaper than the rest but leave you feeling violated.
While many people have said they are prompt to pay claims, I would not trust them at all - The financial shenanigans of Sean Quinn and Quinn direct come as no surprise to me. Cowboys Ted!

My €517 for 2008, crept up to ~€600 last year. Rang the broker this morning who said that premiums were up 15% across the board.
It would be great to work in a business model, whereby you could invest in whatever half assed scheme you wanted -profit on the upside, but if it goes pear shaped just get your customers to make up the shortfall. -Welcome to the world of insurance.
:evil:
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Kace » Fri May 28, 2010 3:15 pm

So I now have Quinn for €570 and Britton / Willis for €600 now. My head tells me to go for the lowest as the policies appear to be identical and I will also get a reduction of a further 10% off a policy for wifee if I move her car to Quinn in a couple of months.

Some of you guys are scaring me off Quinn though – if it were you, would you bother changing ?
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Fri May 28, 2010 4:50 pm

@Kace I would stay well away from Quinn too - I had awful problems with them in relation to a claim against me years ago - in the end, despite the fact the lad was charged by the Garda, Quinn settled with them for circa 30k and then stuck the boot in me - worse, they settled without even telling me - w4nkers as far as I'm concerned. And I can understand why now after all the fiddling SQ has been doing in the past few years.

Have you tried Travellers? I was with Axa last year and they tried to increase mine 220 euro but as Travellers managed to match what my current (at the time price) I moved to them (through 123.ie). I just got a discount after changing from the TT to the 320d even though it's fully comp and the 320d is 4 times the value of the TT... they were easy to deal with when buying the 320d and no problems insuring on a uk plate for a while.
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby miss-enzo » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:12 pm

Kace wrote:Britton wouldn't budge for me upon initial call even though the premium has jumped from €470 to €670. Girl on the phone was harping on about the entire industry prices raising - including her own (poor dear), so I had to tried a couple more companies (looking for TPFT only).

- Aviva (no quote on phone, even though online quote worked - €670)
- Aaran €830 through Axa (the only company out of 14 that provided a quotation for them)
- Quinn €570

I'll give Britton one more change to keep my business (2 cars with them for the past 4-5 years). Looks like I am going Quinn for the first time.

The guy on the phone from Quinn was very good, was very clear about the policy and did some good upselling by telling me that I get another 10% off at renewal time if we have another car insured with Quinn. He gave me a 5% discount for something else - can't even remember what. Good first impression of Quinn - I may have to go with them, even though the price still represents a 20% premium rise for me :-/

keep in mind the online price is 10% cheaper than the office quotes.... they told me they cant match the online quote over the phone!
i dunno bout ye but i literally cold not get another quote.... im 26 next month., 6 yrs ncb and i couldnt get anyting but quinn
My FTO is for sale viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12725
miss-enzo

Return to Motor Insurance