Lowering springs...any recommendations?

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Lowering springs...any recommendations?

Postby Barry » Fri May 07, 2004 6:06 pm

Going to lower the car, I see camskill do a set of APEX springs which drop the front 45mm and the rear 25mm. I presume these are optimum lowering measurements...but has anyone tried any other brands? If so what did you think of them :?:
Barry
Unleaded
Unleaded

Postby CJ » Fri May 07, 2004 6:55 pm

Barry, the AVO springs that Camskill do are pretty much what everyone is using. I put a set of Tyre-R springs on my GS (45mm drop front and rear) and changed them a month later cos they where just too hard. The AVOs are a good compromise in terms of ride quality and handling.

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Lowering springs...any recommendations?

Postby Daz » Sat May 08, 2004 4:43 am

Barry wrote:Going to lower the car, I see camskill do a set of APEX springs which drop the front 45mm and the rear 25mm. I presume these are optimum lowering measurements...but has anyone tried any other brands? If so what did you think of them :?:

Before you fit them take a measurment from the lower lip of your bumper to the road as you might find it will drop more that 45 in the front, mine droped just over 52mm, was espically noticable when next to other lowered FTO's at JAE, mine was the lowest there, and that ain't good for our crappy irish roads, plus scraped the sh*t out of the bottom of the bumper on speed ramps then aswell.

Daz...
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive, anyway.
18 yrs an owner presently on my 4th a Manual Gpx with twin turbo conversion, in Daytona Blue
Daz
Financially Troubled & Overdrawn!
Financially Troubled & Overdrawn!

Re: Lowering springs...any recommendations?

Postby Barry » Mon May 10, 2004 3:41 pm

Daz wrote:
Barry wrote:Going to lower the car, I see camskill do a set of APEX springs which drop the front 45mm and the rear 25mm. I presume these are optimum lowering measurements...but has anyone tried any other brands? If so what did you think of them :?:

Before you fit them take a measurment from the lower lip of your bumper to the road as you might find it will drop more that 45 in the front, mine droped just over 52mm, was espically noticable when next to other lowered FTO's at JAE, mine was the lowest there, and that ain't good for our crappy irish roads, plus scraped the sh*t out of the bottom of the bumper on speed ramps then aswell.

Daz...

Daz,

I'll bear that in mind...It could be a pain in the ar$e if I decide to go with a front splitter / bodykit + there are loads of speed ramps around nowadays.
Barry
Unleaded
Unleaded

Postby Dave » Mon May 10, 2004 3:54 pm

i found that when i lowered mine i would scrap the odd speed bump, but i fitted a larger profile tyre which sorted the problem and i only get rubbing on full lock to the left which is only because i haven't bother moving the wheel arch lining as it is hanging a little :wink:
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Barry » Mon May 10, 2004 4:08 pm

Dave wrote:i found that when i lowered mine i would scrap the odd speed bump, but i fitted a larger profile tyre which sorted the problem and i only get rubbing on full lock to the left which is only because i haven't bother moving the wheel arch lining as it is hanging a little :wink:

Dave,

What wheel dimensions are you using :?:

Barry
Barry
Unleaded
Unleaded

Postby Dave » Mon May 10, 2004 4:10 pm

18/225/40R all round, i reckon i could get larger on the rear but that's the max on the front.
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Barry » Mon May 10, 2004 4:19 pm

Dave wrote:18/225/40R all round, i reckon i could get larger on the rear but that's the max on the front.

Nice one,

Are you using the AVO springs too? 45mm front 25mm rear, if so do any Irish suppliers stock them?

Barry
Barry
Unleaded
Unleaded

Postby CJ » Mon May 10, 2004 4:27 pm

Barry wrote:Are you using the AVO springs too? 45mm front 25mm rear, if so do any Irish suppliers stock them?

Barry, I don't want to put you off but you're gonna have to get used to buying FTO parts from abroad ;)
Even if a company did stock springs over here, chances are they would be more expensive than the UK price + shipping.

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Mon May 10, 2004 4:30 pm

i got the apex ones from Camskill, either way whenever ordering form the UK i always found them to be better than trying to get something over here. usually get the stuff in three or four days which is pretty good.
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Mon May 10, 2004 5:57 pm

Barry wrote:
Dave wrote:18/225/40R all round, i reckon i could get larger on the rear but that's the max on the front.

Nice one,

Are you using the AVO springs too? 45mm front 25mm rear, if so do any Irish suppliers stock them?

Barry

Camskill (www.camskill.co.uk) are very, very highly recommended from 100's of FTO owners all over the UK as well as pretty much all irish owners for most standard parts as well as a host of aftermarket parts. Funky-products (www.funkyproducts.co.uk) are another highly recommended source of standard and aftermarket parts.

With the exception of Rory (steelroe) (who sometime has FTO's for breaking) you will not get better quality of goods or service in ireland than either FunkyP or Camskill.
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Mon May 10, 2004 6:00 pm

Dave, ever think of getting some spacers - come to think of it are there spacers available? I've been dreaming of my ultimate FTO and it includes 18's with 235 tyres running on some 20mm spacers and the wheel arches slightly flared to accomodate.

Any think it would be possible to slightly flare the wheel arches?
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dave » Mon May 10, 2004 6:02 pm

yeah i was thinking about it alright, main reason being that the rear wheel is tucked in if you know what i mean, it's not flush with the kit, must talk to my wheel man and see what he reckons, only problem i could see would be the allignment because the rear would be out more than the front!!
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Barry » Tue May 11, 2004 11:23 pm

OK...I'll give the guys in the UK a shot
Barry
Unleaded
Unleaded

Return to FTO Technical