New motor - RX-8 231

A forum dedicated to quick Japanese motors

Moderator: Moderators

New motor - RX-8 231

Postby CJ » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:27 am

I px'ed the Galant for a very clean and well maintained titanium grey (sorry Adrian!) 03 RX-8 this evening, I'm delighted with the purchase. I've been after an 8 for a while and this one came along at the right time. It lacks the torque of the VR-4 but makes up for it in terms of sportiness, handling and a buzzy rotary engine that redlines @ 9k rpm.

The interior is pretty trick in standard form and is a nice place to be. Its a UK spec model and is pretty stock apart from some interior bits and an aftermarket Toyosports exhaust (loud, but not overly so).

Heres a few of the ad pics, I'll get some updated ones up soon.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TopCat » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:34 am

Congrats CJ, well wear. Looking forward to see this at a meet soon... and maybe gettin a spin in it if I may be so bold? :oops:
TopCat
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Postby Sebastian » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:11 am

whooa how random is that .. i was checking the car this evening on adverts ... http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?p ... 6733&cat=2

well wear Ciaran , best of luck wit her!!
no1. manual GR 96 l no2. tip GR 95 l no3. manual Gpx 95 l no.4 manual Gpx 95 l no.5 manual Gpx 96 l no.6 tip GR 95 - in 2011 took a break from the FTO scene
Sebastian

Postby Baldrick » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:09 am

Wow... That is stunning! Well wear.
Baldrick
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:52 am

Lovely looking example CJ - well wear.

Some nice extra bits on there (esp rotary crests & exhuast).
Would be interested in hearing how you think it performs relative to the VR4/RX7/FTO you owned previously.

The RX8 does seem like a natural progression from an FTO.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dave » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:56 am

Congrats CJ, looks sweet.... 8)
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby gary d » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:23 am

RX8 looks lovely in that colour, shes a relly tidy lookin example. You gotta love the suicide doors. good luck with it. :)
gary d
I'm addicted to my FTO
I'm addicted to my FTO

Postby Uncle B » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:11 am

Nice CJ! :smt023
Get out of here Nebulon! No one likes your style...
Uncle B
I prefer my FTO to the missus
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Postby CJ » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:26 am

Thanks for the comments guys. Theres a surprising amount of room in the rear, you could comfortably sit 4 average sized people without much difficulty.

The rear stepped out on me this morning, even with DSC turned on (it was slighly icy mind you). Its good to be back in a RWD but it has its limitations in wet / icy conditions. Roll on the summer!

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dragonheart » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:47 am

Nice one CJ, well wear with it.
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby adrian » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:24 pm

Well wear CJ, lovely...best colour...we TRUELY do have similar taste in cars! Just back from a 60 mile trip in mine and I can tell you it will keep giving you smile after smile that will!! The back room is so deceptive. I have had 4 adults in mine in comfort!
adrian
Super FTO aficionado!
Super FTO aficionado!

Postby adrian » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:49 pm

Oh, get yourself registered on the RX8 UK club.... tonnes of info on oils and servicing and good discounts too. Oh... and you MUST buy side vent strakes, they improve the cars side profile no end... here are mine:

adrian
Super FTO aficionado!
Super FTO aficionado!

Postby CJ » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:54 am

Thanks Adrian, I wasn't sure how the strakes would look on titanium grey but I'm sold now! Did you get them from rx8strakes.com?

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby adrian » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:00 pm

Yip, that's where I got them. Got the crest and strakes there. They are a real must! Oh, Paul Nolan services mine so you'll be sorted there. Also, MazdaRotaryParts is where to get your service parts like plugs and leads. I got a new set of Magnicors leads and NGKs from him and a K&N intake too... made a lovely crisp difference to it. Fuchs Titan XTR is the engine oil of choice in the club and Silkolene Silktans for the gearbox and the differential. Good luck... hope you have many happy miles in it!
adrian
Super FTO aficionado!
Super FTO aficionado!

Postby CJ » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:09 pm

Cheers for the info Adrian. The guys over @ irishrotary.com use MRP for a lot of stuff so that channel is already setup. Theres a lot more 8's on the scene now due to affordability I guess, you should come to one of the meets....

Do you but the Fuchs oil locally?

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby adrian » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:16 pm

You should come to one of the meets

I know... my weekends just fill up with the kids and work etc, but must get the finger out and go....

Do you buy the Fuchs oil locally?

No, could not get the oil in IRL... I get engine, gear and diff oil from OILMAN on the forums, he's from OpieOil... club discounts available.

Would love to hear your exhaust note and response... it's the one addition I would love on mine.

So, how are you finding it, 24 hours into ownership?![/quote]
adrian
Super FTO aficionado!
Super FTO aficionado!

Postby CJ » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:32 pm

adrian wrote:So, how are you finding it, 24 hours into ownership?!
[/quote]

Grand. I'm not stranger to RWD but the crappy weather can still catch you out, even with DSC.

I'm enjoying the drive, comfort and 9k rev limit, I reckon this is a keeper.

Just bought 10L of XTR (among filters and othethings) off Opie Oils - good old FTO-Ireland discount!

In terms of the exhaust, its loud-ish but not overly so. The previous owner put the cat back in as it was seriously loud without. I've a bit of an exhaust rattle (hanger) that I need to sort out but otherwise the car is mint.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby adrian » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:50 pm

I reckon this is a keeper

Yea right, you say that now but those itchy feet will return! Na, seriously, I think they are a great mix of power, comfort and fun and I will be holding onto mine for ages too I reckon.

I think my cat is on the way out though.... sulphuric eggy smell when I start it up and let it idle in the morning.... and I am getting only about 180 miles to a tank which is a bit lower then expected. Wonder about bypassing the CAT... might save fuel and my CAT for NCT time!
adrian
Super FTO aficionado!
Super FTO aficionado!

Postby CJ » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:32 pm

adrian wrote: Wonder about bypassing the CAT... might save fuel and my CAT for NCT time!

As I understand it, removing the cat on the 8 improves furl economy, worth a try for a month or so (apologies to any environmentalists reading this thread).

I don't have the same luxury with the aftermarket exhaust, its way too loud without.

I'd say I'm getting slight better fuel economy around town in comparison to the VR-4 (which averaged about 13mpg urban) but not significantly so....

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TopCat » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:33 pm

I reckon this is a keeper

Oh yeah, coming from the 2 lads who have done the most buying and selling since I've been on the site. :P

adrian wrote:... and I am getting only about 180 miles to a tank ...

Really? Christ, I though there were a bit thirsty, but not that much so. What kind a mpg would you typically expect to get out of them?
TopCat
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Postby adrian » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:02 pm

Oh yeah, coming from the 2 lads who have done the most buying and selling since I've been on the site.

True :lol: :lol:

MPG.... I am getting about 15MPG! That's Aston Martin Territory!
adrian
Super FTO aficionado!
Super FTO aficionado!

Postby Dave » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:09 pm

Jeebus, I don't feel so bad getting the MPG I get... It can range from 12-20mpg!!!
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby fatboyfat7 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:06 pm

Lovely, lovely car... Would definately be the next one up the ladder for me. Had my first spin in one last Monday, loved it! Is it true about how much oil they go through? Apparently the guy who owned the one I was in told me Mazda reccommend checking oil levels EVERYTIME you fill up. That sounds very excessive doesnt it...?
Fully functional White GPvR....
fatboyfat7
Nothing comes between me and my FTO
Nothing comes between me and my FTO

Postby CJ » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:19 pm

fatboyfat7 wrote:Apparently the guy who owned the one I was in told me Mazda reccommend checking oil levels EVERYTIME you fill up. That sounds very excessive doesnt it...?

The owners manual says every second fill. You'd probably go through a litre every 1k mls or so. One of the joys of owning a rotary is keeping the oil levels in check!

CJ
Last edited by CJ on Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby optical illusion » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:14 pm

Well wear, clean looking car, happy days on pxing the vr4!
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Next

Return to Japanese Performance