Got me a PS3 last week!

A forum for IT related questions

Moderator: Moderators

Got me a PS3 last week!

Postby RussMan » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:38 pm

Hey,

Was a little hung-over at the weekend and ended up buying a PS3.
First impressions where.. cool it matches my TV but under deeper investigation this black box appears to more than just your average games machine. When you get over the Shiny exterior, Mind blowing HD graphics, Wireless Controllers and delve deeper there is a huge amount of additional features which will increase the usability and lifespan of the PS3.

A few worth mentioning are as follows:

* Online Firmware Updating to increase feature set - most resent update ran once I hooked the system onto my home network gave me WMA playback capability + new download manager for background downloads of free demo's from the Online Playstation 3 portal.

* Upgradable 2.5" Hard Disk - Note: Without voiding your warranty. This means current 60Gig model could be upgraded to 200GB within the next month.

* Install your own Operating System - Playstation not only allow installing your own O.S but actually recommend it. Several Development teams are already catching onto this and releasing dedicated PS3 operating systems with support for all built in features. Most commonly used distributions are Yellow Dog and Fedora Core.

The possibilities are endless here with USB support for External Hard Drives / Web Cam's / Any device compatible with the New O.S you install really.

Anyway just thought it was worth a mention on here,

Russ
???? - Ferrari F355 Berlinetta
2007 Nissan 350z GT
2004 Nissan 350z GT
1998 Mitsubishi FTO GPvR
1997 Mazda Mx-3
RussMan
I'm addicted to my FTO
I'm addicted to my FTO

Re: Got me a PS3 last week!

Postby Muad_dib77 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:50 pm

RussMan wrote:Hey,

Was a little hung-over at the weekend and ended up buying a PS3.

LMAO!

Don't you just hate it when that happes?
The PS3 does sound like an interesting beast - it could quite feasably be used as an entertainment hub for a household.
The Gaming is pair with a much wider area of functionality - and with the right OS it could indeed become usable as a standard pc - then again at that price I would have expected nothing less.

I'm trying not to get hung over these days as I would no doubt add another box under the telly..

(At present there's Sky Box, Surround Speaker Decoder Box (Creative Labs ALL THE WAY!), Dvd Recorder, Xbox, Wii and an old P3 machine - somebody in the house hold is getting miffed at all the wires and it's not me!)
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Tiomáint sé cosúil go bhfuil tú déanach i gcás maise!
Muad_dib77

Postby kevinod » Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:04 pm

Thats one expensive hangover! :lol:

Wouldn't mind one myself but just can't justify spending 6-700 on a games console! Sure it'll prob come down in price soon... :P :wink:
Steel Silver manual GR (95 C)
kevinod

Postby RussMan » Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:37 pm

I know what you mean about the cost but i've thought about it alot and deduced the following....

I've justified it as i now have my music / movie / games / internet access / pc all from one styleish unit in the one room. I've since sold my Ps2 console only (Got 110 euro somehow!) kept all my games, got rid of my newish DVD player also and a few other bits and bobs not necessary anymore so i'd say all in for approx 500 euro which isn't that bad condsidering i've a Blu-Ray player and won't have to buy one of them in the next 12 - 24 months when the media becomes mainstream!
2007 Nissan 350z GT
2004 Nissan 350z GT
1998 Mitsubishi FTO GPvR
1997 Mazda Mx-3
RussMan
I'm addicted to my FTO
I'm addicted to my FTO

Postby CJ » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:15 pm

RussMan wrote: condsidering i've a Blu-Ray player and won't have to buy one of them in the next 12 - 24 months when the media becomes mainstream!

Thats a big plus as far as I'm concerned, Blueray players have been pretty expensive on their own up to now. I reckon that Blueray will win over HD-DVD in the standards war, I'm holding out on investing on the PS3 until then....

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:46 pm

Sorry for going a little off topic here - i enjoy my PS2 and would consider a PS3 if only for Gran Turismo and Metal Gear but what is the "live " element like? Its the reason why the Xbox is getting all the gametime in my house at the moment - Anyone else think that Halo 2 live is absolutely the only consol game worth playing?
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby RussMan » Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:15 am

The live aspect is excellent so far with respect to the following.

* Online Updates
* I've been playing fight nights online (getting my ass kicked but fun all the same) by an 8 year old no doubt!
* Downloading demo's - Downloaded - Gran Turismo 5 Demo (The demo shows the graphic capabilities of the PS3 - It doesn't included the new driving engine that sony are working on. Realism on and off the track are too real!
* Web Browser with tab'd type browsing - Flash Plugin's etc

Tried installing XP onto it yesterday but no joy so attempting Unix installation later when the sun goes in
2007 Nissan 350z GT
2004 Nissan 350z GT
1998 Mitsubishi FTO GPvR
1997 Mazda Mx-3
RussMan
I'm addicted to my FTO
I'm addicted to my FTO

Postby kevinod » Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:19 am

RussMan wrote:Tried installing XP onto it yesterday but no joy so attempting Unix installation later when the sun goes in

Just out of curiousity - is it dual boot when you install a new OS, or do you have to select 'boot OS' or something in a menu to get your Windows or Unix or whatever running (after installation I mean).
Steel Silver manual GR (95 C)
kevinod

Postby Ronanc » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:34 pm

got mine the other week, fab machine, do you play online? had a few games of resistance good craic pity about Gran turismo wont be out till 2008 tho
--------------------------------
Irish Mitsubishi Owners Club
www.irishmoc.org
--------------------------------
Lancer GSR @ .9 Bar psi
86 Levin twincam AE86
Ronanc
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby soc » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:41 am

This sounds like another world - no games consoles at my place and only recently got a bose docking station for my ipod - how behind the trends am I???? :oops: :oops: :oops:
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby RussMan » Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:17 pm

Kev, yes to dual boot. Just change a setting in PS3 o.s and your away. reseting is easy too..

Ronan, I play Fight night online but its crap for me due to Bandwidth i think.
I've a 6 meg asymetric line with NTL so i get approx 256K upload which means when i'm fighting it doesn't always send the correct combinations in time and i basically can't win a fight as blocking etc gets delayed also so must hunt out an alternative supplier!
2007 Nissan 350z GT
2004 Nissan 350z GT
1998 Mitsubishi FTO GPvR
1997 Mazda Mx-3
RussMan
I'm addicted to my FTO
I'm addicted to my FTO

Postby Bernard » Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:33 pm

Colin McRae Dirt is coming out on PS3 soon.
Take a look at the last video on the page... 8)
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CJ » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:12 pm

Bernard wrote:Take a look at the last video on the page... 8)

Deadly! Pity about the low gearing - not a hint of the MIVEC!

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JD » Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:46 pm

Russ,

I'm getting a PS3 soon, just one question, I want to be able to surf the net on my TV through the PS3, I have a wireless broadband router and can access the net on the other pc's, laptop etc. already

Is the PS3 ready to go to do this, I'll have to buy a wirelss keyboard for it but aside from that do you know if i need anything else.

Cheers
JD
JD
I prefer my FTO to the missus
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Postby Dadikool » Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:34 pm

CJ wrote:
Bernard wrote:Take a look at the last video on the page... 8)

Deadly! Pity about the low gearing - not a hint of the MIVEC!

CJ

sorry to intervene, but i got xbox 360 and i got forza 2 game and its got FTO and it does sound good when the mivic kicks in on game
Dadikool
Super unleaded
Super unleaded

Return to Computers and IT