Bad vibration

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Bad vibration

Postby belgianrm » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:40 pm

Hi guys and girls,

I have just acquired a 1995 FTO Mi-vec.
I loved my Toyota Celica GT. I think I love my FTO even more.

However, I get a really nasty vibrations through the accelerator pedal and the steering wheel from 65mph onward and it gets really bad from 70mph onward.

The car passed it's MOT 3 days ago, so I don't think there is a problem with the suspension. I have had the wheels balance checked and paid for the tracking to be checked and adjusted also.
It has made no difference.
Tires are new also.

Any ideas what the problem might be ?
belgianrm

Re: Bad vibration

Postby goz_83 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:58 pm

If it's not the balancing, the only thing I can of that might affect both the steering and the accelerator pedal might be that there is a loose engine mount or something along those lines. Someone here with more knowledge might have other ideas, but I know this was a problem with my dads vectra a few years back.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby jayod12b » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:29 am

Warped brake disks maybe??
jayod12b
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby Mitsinut » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:48 pm

Hi, had this problem with an automatic Galant a few years ago, was lucky to have another Galant at the time, so was able to swap parts across, using trial and error,
checked everything, discs, pads, suspension, turned out to be a bad joint in the drive shaft.

The car would drive perfectly up to 55mph (consistently 55mph on the level, varied slightly depending on slope) and then the wobble would set in, but if you pushed it out to about 70mph it would calm down again. Is yours manual/auto-tip? Drive shafts will be different i'd say... If you are in a position to swap a drive shaft for a trial I would try it as IMO if it were anything else it would be occuring at different speeds....
Mitsinut
Octane king
Octane king

Postby belgianrm » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:27 pm

It is a Tiptronic.

Yes, the speed at which it occurs seems to vary from time to time.
Mostly, it starts from 60mph onward, gets pretty bad at around 70mph but seems to calm down over 80mph.
It vibrates pretty badly on the steering wheel and I can feel the vibration on the pedal also.

The car is in perfect condition apart from that fault.

I don't have any spare parts for this type of car. I have owned my FTO for less than a week. I used to drive a 92 Celica GT.

Would a Mitsubishi garage be able to find the fault and if it is the drive shaft, how much would it cost me ?
belgianrm

Postby Gerry » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:30 pm

Had the same issue a coouple of years back on my tip gr.
Turned out to be driveshaft also.
Think mine was caused by passenger side shaft.
One of the 3 inner bearings that sits in the gearbox drive cup(inner cv joint) had collapased causing a shuddering at approx 60 km.

This post may also be of use:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5302&p=35068&hilit=shuddering#p35068
Gerry
Have you seen my FTO tattoo?

Postby Mitsinut » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:28 am

It isn't as much fun, but like the Galant, I drove it away for a good while before I found out decisively what it was, did manage to save a considerable amount of money on fuel though :lol: as was forced to drive just below 55 all the time. The other thing was that it too performed brilliantly in the NCT.

If you can at all, do not go to a Mitsubishi Dealer, besides the fact that the hardly know what an FTO is, they will rape you, literally bend you over, when it comes to $$$$.....

Check the for sale ads here, alot a spares parts available, take photos and measure the shaft. You could use the Mitsubishi Dealer to find out the part numbers and see if it is common on other models.

Should take about two hours each side for the labour, and the tip-box oil will have to be drained (careful, to remember to refill and there is a gear-shift sequence in the handbook that must be followed after refilling). A nice little job for your small local garage man.....
Mitsinut
Octane king
Octane king

Postby goz_83 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:08 pm

Gerry in the post above might have the parts you need. He has an fto breaking at the moment.....although he might need to remove the aircon wiring loom while he's at it. Eh Gerry? :smt003
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Gerry » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:42 pm

Yea i have both drives there from a tip fto that im breakin at the moment.
Let ud know which one ya need.
Gerry

Postby belgianrm » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:52 am

I have booked an appointment at the local mitsubishi dealer next Tuesday.
Hopefully, they will find out what the problem is.
belgianrm

Postby optical illusion » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:57 pm

Have had the same problem, need to get it balanced. Weights could be missing.

After that, warped discs, but that would only be apparent on braking, not all the time.
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby goz_83 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:07 pm

Mitsinut wrote:If you can at all, do not go to a Mitsubishi Dealer, besides the fact that the hardly know what an FTO is, they will rape you, literally bend you over, when it comes to $$$$.....

Would have taken that advice
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby optical illusion » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:45 pm

Look, you sign a disclaimer at the start to bend over and take it, suck it up :)
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby goz_83 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:25 am

optical illusion wrote:Look, you sign a disclaimer at the start to bend over and take it, suck it up :)

I just whisper sweet nothings into their ears.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to FTO Technical