My FTO's first NCT

Discuss issues related to the NCT \ MOT

Moderator: Moderators

Postby kevinod » Fri Nov 12, 2004 3:58 pm

Well, as a follow up, did the retest yesterday, only to be handed a cert from now until 28 February 2005!! They decided because its a 95, it should have had its last test in march 2003, and so back dated it to then. THE CAR HAS ONLY BEEN IN THE COUNTRY 3 MONTHS!!!! C(*&^%s!!

No budging the b.....ds on it. It topped off having to pay €27 for literally 2 minutes on the ramp for the retest, and the cherry on the icing on top was being told that if I had held on for 4 weeks they would have given me a cert until 2007. Apparently if you're within 3 months of the reg. date you get the full 2 years and whatever credit, I'm 4 weeks over the 3 months.

What a waste of 58+27 yoyos. They're sending me a complaint form but what a shower of ....... I guess my only way forward is to get the test booked again for 4 weeks time 'cos I know it'll pass with flying colours and it'll be done then until 2007.

And there was me thinking I was being a 'good car owning citizen' getting it as soon as I could!

Kev.
Steel Silver manual GR (95 C)
kevinod

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:14 am

Kev - My car was imported about 6 months ago - I still haven't bothered with an NCT - You no longer need it to tax and insure your car and the many garda checkpoints I have come across never look for it either.

I got burnt by the NCT before as well with regard to giving me a few months of an NCT rather than the full 2 years - the only time I'd now consider doing the NCT is if I wanted to sell my car.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dave » Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:41 am

the only thing with that is if you crash into someone or vice versa the insurance company will look for it then and if you don't have it they will more than likely refuse to pay out on any claim.
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:21 pm

Dave wrote:the only thing with that is if you crash into someone or vice versa the insurance company will look for it then and if you don't have it they will more than likely refuse to pay out on any claim.

First I heard of this - if this was the case would the insurance company not need to ask if you have an NCT on your car when purchasing your insurance? Most of my mates do not have NCT's on their cars - a couple of them have had small fender benders recently as well - I don't think there was any issue or question from the insurance company re NCT?

If I don't have an NCT and hence am not properly insured why have I not been asked for it at any of the recent Garda checkpoints where I have been stopped for tax and insurance checks??
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dave » Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:25 pm

luck i would imagine. i know a couple of people who have been stopped for not having the actual disc showing, but as for the insurance if there was a big claim you're guaranteed they will look for it. and some insurance companies will look for it, we have a few certain policies that require the cert.
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:38 pm

Dave wrote:luck i would imagine. i know a couple of people who have been stopped for not having the actual disc showing, but as for the insurance if there was a big claim you're guaranteed they will look for it. and some insurance companies will look for it, we have a few certain policies that require the cert.

Hmm! May need to rethink my NCT then - But I'm gonna have to time it to get the two year max on the NCT.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby kevinod » Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:40 pm

I guess for the sake of it you're as well off getting it, not that expensive, and there must be some law or something that requires you to have it I'd imagine, maybe just noone has taken too much notice of it yet.

Good way of demonstrating that your car was always kept in good nick by passing the NCT every 2 years, I'd be suspicious about a car myself if I discovered otherwise.

Just p***ed that the b.....ds screwed me for the sake of a few weeks., and their explanation is ridiculous. Got the complaint form, apparently you can appeal, but you have to put down a deposit of €48. You get it back if you're successful but if not it would have almost paid for another test, so... I'm slow to 'complain' as it could go into the guys in the local test centre, and next time they saw me coming in I could be in trouble! Especially when the car stands out (not many FTOs in Cork) and I'd probably still have to go back soon after.

I'll just do it and get it out of the way as soon as I can book another test within the 3 months so it goes to 2007.

Kev.
Steel Silver manual GR (95 C)
kevinod

Postby Dave » Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:40 pm

yeah i wouldn't personally chance driving around without it, because if it was as handy as not having it done then i don;t think a lot of people would do it.
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Previous

Return to NCT \ MOT