Camaro in Vegas

Discuss other marques here

Moderator: Moderators

Camaro in Vegas

Postby goz_83 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:30 pm

Had the pleasure of driving this beauty in Vegas to Hoover Dam. Although I wasn't really impressed with the drive, I have to say it was more of a novelty and I wouldn't move mountains to own one either.

97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Re: Camaro in Vegas

Postby optical illusion » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:33 pm

Noooooooooooo! Don't say that, it's the only muscle car I want :(
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby goz_83 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:55 am

optical illusion wrote:Noooooooooooo! Don't say that, it's the only muscle car I want :(

Sorry doll, but it's an honest account. The most impressive part (aside from the good looks) was the little tv in the mirror that came on when reversing. It was heavy, sluggish and kinda sloppy....reminded me of a greasy irish breakfast. At first, it's great, but in the end, it's not worth it. Unfortunately, I expect the mustang gt would be similar. Worse still was the fact that the feckin thing beeped any time you hit 66mph or higher (courtesy of dollar rent a car) :(
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Kace » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:46 pm

Yeah but I presume there are some variants of this car - normally a mediocre 3l v6 and generally then the monster v8 or v10. Rental companies normally have the mediocre - at least this was the case when I drove a poor mouth v6 mustang for a year.

I would assume that the engine note alone from the v8 would make it special.
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:21 pm

I drove a new model Mustang V8 last year and while it looks the business - a 350Z or similar would leave it for dust.
Feel very heavy to drive and quite ponderous handling.

Both the Mustang and Camaro do look well from the outside - the switch gear and plastics on the interior are another matter.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby optical illusion » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:42 pm

Well yis can all shag off, I'm going to dream that the SS is better :P
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby goz_83 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:06 pm

Actually I quite liked the interior. It was a leatherette stitching on the dash, which looked smart. A few temp and pressure gauges above the floor console made a good impression too. I'm sure it was the entry level model, but I can't imagine more grunt and speed would take away from the overall cumbersome feel of the car. Maybe I was driving a dud, but it just wasn't nearly as fun as I had imagined.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Kace » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:22 pm

Just took a quick look at the latest Camaro specs there (http://www.chevrolet.com/camaro-sport-coupe/specs/trims.html)

Looks like you were driving the 323BHP V6 - doesn't sound too bad does it !! But probably feels way slower than your FTO at the same time.

The larger spec machine then jumps up to the 426BHP V8 model.
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby goz_83 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:06 am

Kace wrote:
Looks like you were driving the 323BHP V6 - doesn't sound too bad does it !! But probably feels way slower than your FTO at the same time.

OK. Imagine diving a ford mondeo with armoured plating stuck to every panel on the body. wrap the tyres in cotton and increase the cost of running by a factor of 10 and you have a V6 Camaro. Bumble Bee would be disgusted!
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby mivecrx » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:58 am

All american muscle cars look great but perform crap!. The Camaro has a 3.6 that produces 323bhp, a stock evo has more haha.

Still must have been cool just getting too drive one! for the fist few mins anyway.
mivecrx
Have you seen my FTO tattoo?
Have you seen my FTO tattoo?

Postby goz_83 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:34 am

If it weren't for the beeper for speeding, it would have been much more fun. No regrets though.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Chris_Heilong » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:02 am

Pretty much what I heard also, They look great but are not all that when it comes to driving.
White 98 GX, HID lights, SS Exhaust, 17" BK racing Alloys, lowered Suspension, Veilside rear bumper, illuminated Door handles, Leatherette seats
Chris_Heilong
I prefer my FTO to the missus
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Postby TopCat » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:42 am

mivecrx wrote:.. The Camaro has a 3.6 that produces 323bhp, a stock evo has more haha...

To be fair, and stock evo also costs a hell of a lot more. I think when judging a car like this, you have to bear in mind the ridiculous price they have attached. The base model starting at $23.5k, (€17k!!!). A quick search suggests about $35k for the evo, $30k for 370Z.

From what I hear, the newer Camaro has a more modern suspension than the Mustang, but I think you need to be looking at an SS really, so that brings it about the evo price range, and I doubt it would keep up with it in anything other than a straight line.

I'd have agreed with Shane about the interiors, but its interesting to hear you thought different Gary. The brochures don't do them any favours, but I'll hold my opinion until I get hands on experience with them.

It looks like I may be heading over to the US for a couple of years with work, so this is actually something I'll be looking into in a lot more detail. Right now, a big part of me is saying get an SS seen as its only really an option over there, but we'll have to see. :D
TopCat
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Postby Dragonheart » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:30 pm

Know a few guys with Camaros, they always go for the soft top though which is a big turn off on them. Would have to be the new Challenger for me, they are impressive, (looks wise, never driven them). For an evil car coming up behind you at speed a fastback Mustang steals it, especially if its a Cobra.
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to Other Cars