GPX EXHAUST

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

GPX EXHAUST

Postby jonny » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:19 pm

Hi all, Anyone know why my centre exhaust piece I bought from Camskill doesn't fit?

I bought this http://www.camskill.co.uk/m3b0s11p49067 ... odels_ONLY

It nearly does but if I bolt the cat end it is out at the back box. Camskill seem to think I have an after market back box and won't replace it until I send them pics of it not fitting ??? I think it's the standard one and the part they have sent has been manufactured wrong. The number on my back box is E16-12 that's all I can see and can't find a reference anywhere online to this number.

Anyone have an idea if I'm wrong and to fix it will buying a new back box from Camskill that correlates to this centre piece will make it all fit?

Cheers

I have a 96 GPX Mivec
96 Black GPX.
jonny
1st gear
1st gear

Re: GPX EXHAUST

Postby Kace » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:28 pm

Post some pictures of the back box and close-ups of the exhaust tips please - should be able to confirm if it's OEM. Camskill generally know what they're talking about.
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby brccrx » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:50 am

Your back box if its genuine mitsi it should have 3 diamonds on the case but it could be the case that previous owners were getting the joint between mid section and back box repaired at some stage, being reason of your trouble now. Pics would be handy indeed.
Only one ever build 1.3 turbo Fto, 0.7 bar on stock internals...because your imagination is the only boundary :)
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Postby jonny » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:31 am

Hiya,

Thanks for getting back guys.

Link to pics below:
[img]
http://s1107.photobucket.com/user/zenma ... sort=3&o=0[/img]

Fits at the cat end but knocks everything else out.

Out at the back box. I could bend and tighten it up but the mechanic says it'll put far to much pressure on the whole exhaust.

Bracket nearest the back box is miles out too

Two together, the welded old ones been on the car 10 years. You can see how far the brackets are out.
96 Black GPX.
jonny
1st gear
1st gear

Postby brccrx » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:11 am

Looks very close each to the other but camskill piece like it would have flanges welded on wrong or something.

Have you send the pisc to camskill?

Whats your cat like welded job or genuine untouched one?

Whats the down pipe like, flexi's all genuine or replacement pieces welded in?

I would say camskill is usyally good and they have decent parts but if all of the rest of exhaust on your car is stock then its their piece no good.
Only one ever build 1.3 turbo Fto, 0.7 bar on stock internals...because your imagination is the only boundary :)
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Postby Kace » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:13 pm

Very strange indeed. Your exhaust seems to be stock but their part doesn't fit.

I would call Camskill and ask for the main man - Mike. Send him all of the evidence and ask him for his opinion. Make sure that you check that something on your old exhaust doesn't look original .i.e modded for some reason.

I also didn't think that FTO exhausts had that bracket welded on. I have never seen that before.

You could also ask Mike to check the exhaust type that he sent you against another other brand that he may stock, e.g. Mongoose perhaps.

Good luck !
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Mitsinut » Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:50 pm

This is going to sound a bit nutty, but is your CAT installed upside-down?
Mitsinut
Octane king
Octane king

Postby brccrx » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:50 pm

The sensor is on the right hand side so the cat is the way it come OEM way. But even if you turn it over 180 degree it wont change anything.
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Postby Mitsinut » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:01 pm

I think they're one way directional but nothing says they can't be upside-down, but if you see the photo of the flange, it looks fairly uniform to just turn it upside down and the should give the correct flange connection. You'd just be splitting the angle. Mine doesn't even have a connection point for the rear sensor.
Mitsinut
Octane king
Octane king

Postby brccrx » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:43 pm

Well, if that would work for him that would be simple fix :wink:

But as far as i remember no mater if the cat is upside down it still fits same way, theres no angle on the flanges if you get me.
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Postby Mitsinut » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:22 am

Lets see what he comes back with!! Just a shot in the dark, we don't know if it's after-market front, back or middle; I just hope it's an easy fix.
Mitsinut
Octane king
Octane king

Postby goz_83 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:54 am

It all looks oem. I would say there is a bend in the system, most likely the cat flange is bent a mill or two, which could be throwing everything out and wouldn't be the easiest spot either. There could also be a bend where the cat connects to the forward pipe.

If the replacement section can be forced into place, as suggested, well that points to a bend. The direction which it is being pushed will clearly indicate the direction of the bent section. The quick fix might be to bend the new section, rather than force it into place.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to FTO Technical