Failed - brake pipe burst * passed retest

Discuss issues related to the NCT \ MOT

Moderator: Moderators

Failed - brake pipe burst * passed retest

Postby kevinod » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:46 pm

Had my NCT on Sunday, did some work on the car lately to make sure it was all in good nick - replaced steering gaitor boot, new rear brake pads, oil change, new wiper blades, had her spotless inside, had to sort out one of the light connectors.

Guy went through all the test, did the inspection step and all. He arrived out and it was a fail - passenger front brake pipe burst during the brake test! :shock: I put these steel braided pipes on the car 3.5 years ago (checked my log book) and they've been fine.

I must take a pic of it but from the top the pipe is dusty for the first couple of inches, and then it's wet from the fluid below that. There was a bit of a puddle under the car outside the NCT centre when I eventually got it collected, just spraying out.

A bit surprised, didn't think that'd happen with the steel braided pipes.

So, got it brought home on the back of a truck a couple of hours later.

I've ordered new braided hoses, going to replace the lot.

On the upside, probably the best place for it to happen rather than in the middle of spirited driving on country roads or worse!

Oh ya, if you ever need a low loader in Cork, give Gerry O'Sullivan in Ardfallen motors a call. Guy was excellent, came over to Blarney 30 minutes after calling him, and price (95 euro) was pretty reasonable considering it was a Sunday and everything. :smt023
Steel Silver manual GR (95 C)
kevinod

Postby Muad_dib77 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:43 pm

Wow that's nuts.. very fortunate though that it didn't happen while you were driving.. I had a brake line go on me once just as I was passing the dealership I'd bought the car in 2 months earlier..

Only the handbrake worked, well scary!

Needles to say they fixed it FOC..

You should check if there's some sort of lifetime warrenty on your hoses by the way..if you got them through camskill they'd know.
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Tiomáint sé cosúil go bhfuil tú déanach i gcás maise!
Muad_dib77

Postby kevinod » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:59 pm

Muad_dib77 wrote:You should check if there's some sort of lifetime warrenty on your hoses by the way..if you got them through camskill they'd know.

Good call.... only thing is I wouldn't put new versions of the same back on now, not sure I trust them now.

New ones arrived in the post today so I'll see if I can get it all back working again. Going to have to bleed through the full system too 'cos I'll replace all 4 hoses of course... hopefully have enough 5.1 fluid in stock!
kevinod

Postby Sebastian » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:10 pm

where did you get the hoses from ?
no1. manual GR 96 l no2. tip GR 95 l no3. manual Gpx 95 l no.4 manual Gpx 95 l no.5 manual Gpx 96 l no.6 tip GR 95 - in 2011 took a break from the FTO scene
Sebastian

Postby kevinod » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:15 pm

Got a set from Ricerocket, ordered Monday & arrived today. Asked Camskill but they were out of stock for a week and I couldn't wait that long.
kevinod

Postby gt94 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:07 pm

What make were the ones that burst just in case i buy some.I had goodridge on my gpx was well pleased with them got them of Ricerocket
gt94
Nothing comes between me and my FTO
Nothing comes between me and my FTO

Postby kevinod » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:25 am

They were Moto-flex IIRC. Got the Goodridge ones in the post yesterday but the banjo bolts don't come off them so they're no use to me with these calipers. :(

Going to see if I can get a set locally.
kevinod

Re: Failed - brake pipe burst

Postby kevinod » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:44 pm

Got the retest yesterday, no hassles at all. :D
kevinod

Re: Failed - brake pipe burst * passed retest

Postby Sebastian » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:00 am

another happy champ :lol:
no1. manual GR 96 l no2. tip GR 95 l no3. manual Gpx 95 l no.4 manual Gpx 95 l no.5 manual Gpx 96 l no.6 tip GR 95 - in 2011 took a break from the FTO scene
Sebastian

Re: Failed - brake pipe burst * passed retest

Postby TopCat » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:20 am

Nice one, congrats
TopCat
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Return to NCT \ MOT