NCT on 25 October

Discuss issues related to the NCT \ MOT

Moderator: Moderators

NCT on 25 October

Postby IrishPhoenix » Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:43 pm

Hi everyone, My car's first NCT since it entered wet old Ireland from Japan. Whats the name of that fluid for reducing emissions? Hopefully all should go well as its low mileage. Is it better to have the lights tested b4 as I went to Tractormotors in blanch with my old car and the NCT said even with their 'alignments' it just about passed. Any suggestions?

:smt074 < hate's NCT rip off
You know, somebody actually complimented me on my driving today. They left a little note on the windscreen, it said 'Parking Fine'.
- Tommy Cooper
IrishPhoenix
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby kevinod » Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:47 pm

Just one thing ot mention if you haven't heard it already. They'll probably back date it unless you're within 3 months of your original (japan) registration date. So watch out for that. Went through a test and a retest and they handed me a cert for 4 months! :evil: 95 car - thus should have been tested in 2003... although this late in the year you should be ok hopefully (assuming its a 95?).

I would say yes, get it tested, but make sure it someone that knows what they're doing... the FTO has 2 focus spots (little dots in the lense), guy who did mine, in a mitsi garage I might add, I'm sure focused them on one spot, had to refocus them myself after the test.
Steel Silver manual GR (95 C)
kevinod

Postby Dave » Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:00 pm

diptain is the stuff for reducing emissions..... well that's what i used and it passed no problems!
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby kevinod » Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:55 pm

Just on emissions, I didn't use anything myself, but I did drive it hard on the way there (high revs but inside the speed limits mr gard sir :wink: ) to get the oil nice and hot.
kevinod

Postby CJ » Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:03 pm

As Kev said, drive it a hard to the test centre, you should be OK as regards emissions.

As regards light alignment, drive the car up close to a wall and get yourself a Philips screwdriver, theres adjustment screws for both the heads and dipped beams behind the light unit, the main thing you need to check is that the beams aren't pointing too high, thats the main thing they look for IIRC.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby kevinod » Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:05 pm

CJ wrote:the main thing you need to check is that the beams aren't pointing too high, thats the main thing they look for IIRC.

Yup, my lights focusing was terrible but it was low, so they were happy with that.
kevinod

Postby Kace » Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:45 pm

CJ wrote:As Kev said, drive it a hard to the test centre, you should be OK as regards emissions.

Agreed - mine was right on the limit during a test about 4 years ago, but 2 years ago I got the wife to drive the bejesus out of it before she got there and it passed with plenty to spare.

I'm up for my third NCT in a few months time. Have never had a single thing wrong - touch wood this continues.
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to NCT \ MOT