Chassis welding and other issues

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Chassis welding and other issues

Postby sinlessgunner » Tue May 19, 2009 1:24 pm

I've been putting off getting an NCT because a while back I was getting some suspension work done and the mechanic told me there was rust on the chassis and that it would fail NCT. Got stopped by the boys in blue last night and now I have 10 days to produce my NCT booking cert. I have heard since that I could get a plate welded to the chassis and if done correctly the NCT lads wouldn't know the difference.

Thing is any mechanic I've been to won't do the job because the area is directly underneath the fuel tank and I have been quoted a rediculous price in a bodyshop (almost €400). Anyone know anything about this kind of work or someone who might give me a fair price?

Also, for the NCT the checklist says that they check the seats. My driver's seat is slightly damaged. There is a bar that has come through the foam at the edge of the seat but not the cover. Is this something that I should address? It doesn't bother me otherwise. And one other thing, I have HID's but the ballasts aren't mounted because I couldn't find a place for them so they are just sitting securely in the engine bay. Would I be better off just putting back in the regular bulbs for the NCT?

Sorry for the long post, and if this is in the wrong forum please feel free to move accordingly :)
sinlessgunner
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Re: Chassis welding and other issues

Postby colm_mcm » Tue May 19, 2009 2:11 pm

you can book an NCT for months away. some centres are looking at September by the time you'll get in.
colm_mcm

Postby Kace » Tue May 19, 2009 2:21 pm

No need to do anything with your unmounted HID ballasts, unless of course they're hopping around under the bonnet. If so try to make them secure somehow - I just used the sticky pads that came with them.
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby colm_mcm » Tue May 19, 2009 3:19 pm

NCT will accept plates welded onto areas that had chassis rust. it's not a case of hiding it from them.
colm_mcm

Postby Kace » Tue May 19, 2009 4:45 pm

Are you sure you really need welded plates - how bad is the rust, I presume that there is no holes or anything like that ?

If it is just surface stuff with a few flaky bits then get at it yourself to clean it up with a wire brush - this should be fine. I would send it in to the NCT anyway, unless it's really bad.

Someone told me that I had rust under there that needed to be attended to in order to pass the NCT. I did the above and it passed fine.
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby steelroe » Tue May 19, 2009 5:12 pm

As Colm said plate are not a problem once all the heavy rust is removed. There are a lot of FTO's out there with this work done. the most likely place is rear chasis legs or the front wheel arches (under the fuse box) and near the power steering oil reserve.
Just make sure you scutch (under seal) the entire under body of the car after work is done to prevent further rusting.
steelroe
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Kace » Tue May 19, 2009 9:26 pm

steelroe wrote:Just make sure you scutch (under seal) the entire under body of the car after work is done to prevent further rusting.

What would you recommend using for undersealing ?
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby steelroe » Tue May 19, 2009 9:36 pm

Any factors will have underseal and suitable gun (if you have a compressor). Not expensive and a lifetime job.
steelroe
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby sinlessgunner » Wed May 20, 2009 1:36 pm

Thanks lads thats cleared a lot up for me. I'm not sure what the extent of the rust is as I didn't see it myself and I don't have a ramp to check. The mechanic told me that there was rust on the rear chassis leg just underneath the fuel tank and that there wasn't a hole but there certainly would be. Thats why I was quoted a high price because to safely weld it the fuel tank would have to be taken out first. I'd like to get a plate done anyway as a preventative measure.

Just got the NCT booked for September 7th so plenty of time yet :)
sinlessgunner

Postby colm_mcm » Wed May 20, 2009 1:40 pm

dropping the fuel tank isn't a big job. it's only 30 mins (or 10 if you get Dan to do it :D ) of a job.

There are only 6 bolts holding it on and apart from that all that needs to be done is unbolt the fuel pump from underneath the rear seat and drop the tank.
colm_mcm

Postby Mike-Kerry » Fri May 29, 2009 11:15 am

I just got my own done bout 2 weeks ago, put two plates on rear chasis looks the job, cut out rusted section and welded plates in...and as the lads said petrol tank took bout 20 mins, sealed it and put a coat of gravitex on to seal the rest of the underneath......but to be honest my test was last year and the car past no problem, so you could chance it!!!
Proud owner of a 98 GPVR Aero Series
Mike-Kerry
Super unleaded
Super unleaded

Postby Sebastian » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:08 am

Mike-Kerry wrote:I just got my own done bout 2 weeks ago, put two plates on rear chasis looks the job, cut out rusted section and welded plates in...and as the lads said petrol tank took bout 20 mins, sealed it and put a coat of gravitex on to seal the rest of the underneath......but to be honest my test was last year and the car past no problem, so you could chance it!!!

can u tell me how much did u payed for the job? and roughly how long it took?
no1. manual GR 96 l no2. tip GR 95 l no3. manual Gpx 95 l no.4 manual Gpx 95 l no.5 manual Gpx 96 l no.6 tip GR 95 - in 2011 took a break from the FTO scene
Sebastian

Postby ZanderJay » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:23 pm

Good to know that it has a NCT that can accept plates welder into the areas that has rust. However, someone told that the rust needed to be attended to in order to pass the NCT. I think that it could need more time to make if pass as well.
ZanderJay

Return to FTO Technical