RE: Intermittent Handbrake light?

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

RE: Intermittent Handbrake light?

Postby Barry » Wed May 05, 2004 2:44 pm

Hi Guys,

When driving my GPX I sometimes get the handbrake light coming on / off intermittently. It only really happens when driving hard (especially on bends). Brakes don't appear to be sticking..any ideas :?:

Thanks,

Barry
Barry
Unleaded
Unleaded

Re: RE: Intermittent Handbrake light?

Postby CJ » Wed May 05, 2004 2:55 pm

Barry wrote:When driving my GPX I sometimes get the handbrake light coming on / off intermittently.

Barry, this is usually a warning that your pads (probably front) need changing and are a bit on the low side, it could also be that your brake fluid is low, check out the level in the resevoir.

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Barry » Wed May 05, 2004 8:25 pm

Hi CJ,

Front pads are fine, brake fluid is full, rear pads It's hard to tell. Could the rear pads cause this as well?

Barry
Barry
Unleaded
Unleaded

Postby Kace » Wed May 05, 2004 10:01 pm

CJ wrote:
Barry wrote:When driving my GPX I sometimes get the handbrake light coming on / off intermittently.

Barry, this is usually a warning that your pads (probably front) need changing and are a bit on the low side, it could also be that your brake fluid is low, check out the level in the resevoir.

Ciaran

I thought it just meant that the switch that controls this light is sticking a little bit. There is an explanation of how to fix this on one of the sites by taking out the armrest and using a bit of WD40. I have this problem at present but just haven't gotten around to sorting it
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Thu May 06, 2004 9:37 am

Kace wrote:
CJ wrote:

Ciaran

I thought it just meant that the switch that controls this light is sticking a little bit. There is an explanation of how to fix this on one of the sites by taking out the armrest and using a bit of WD40. I have this problem at present but just haven't gotten around to sorting it

I think that CJ is right - it can be a number of things - sticking switch being one of them. But I'd check your brake fluid and pads just to be sure.

Check out these posts on smartgroups:
http://www.smartgroups.com/message/view ... geid=42917
http://www.smartgroups.com/message/view ... 0&start=11
http://www.smartgroups.com/message/read ... geid=27915
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Thu May 06, 2004 10:35 am

shane wrote:it can be a number of things

Agreed, its either:

1. Low compound on front pads
2. Low compound on rear pads
3. Brake fluid level is below minimum
4. Cap diaphram on resevoir is sticking
5. The hardbrake cable needs to be tightened up (remove the cup holder and all will become clear)

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to FTO Technical