Wanted: Callipers

Use this forum to buy or sell your FTO or FTO parts (Private adverts only)

Moderator: Moderators

Wanted: Callipers

Postby ottostreet » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:47 pm

Hi everyone,

I have callipers than I crudely painted three years ago, and they look fairly terrible. The rear ones have seized too while the car was in the body shop, and as a result, Im looking at options to fix them up. I have ordered EBC Yellowstuff all round, and am going to get EBC Ultimax brake rotors all round, but will still need to sort the callipers. If anyone has a GPX/GPvR that they are breaking and know the callipers are all fine, please let me know prices. Otherwise, I will end up refurbing the ones I have, but they will still look crap!

Thanks!
ottostreet
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Re: Wanted: Callipers

Postby mivecrx » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:51 pm

If your refurbishing them you could easily clean and repaint them, silver makes them look like a new set. If buying a set ask brrcrx, he might have a set and maybe a refurbished set.

Yellowstuff :smt023
mivecrx
Have you seen my FTO tattoo?

Postby ottostreet » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:07 am

Any ideas on how to get the caked on 2 year old paint off? Would immersing them in something strip the paint off? I'd refurb them no problem if I could get them cleaned up properly!
ottostreet
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby mivecrx » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:11 am

ottostreet wrote:Any ideas on how to get the caked on 2 year old paint off? Would immersing them in something strip the paint off? I'd refurb them no problem if I could get them cleaned up properly!

Wire wheel attachment on a drill will do it, right back to he metal.
mivecrx

Postby mivecrx » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:15 am

mivecrx

Postby ottostreet » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:16 am

I don't think that would do all of it, as I did a terrible job and it's kinda all over the calliper and hard to access in places. To get it truly back to metal, I'd have to dissolve the paint somehow as well as clean.
ottostreet
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby mivecrx » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:23 am

ottostreet wrote:I don't think that would do all of it, as I did a terrible job and it's kinda all over the calliper and hard to access in places. To get it truly back to metal, I'd have to dissolve the paint somehow as well as clean.

That would definitely remove the paint, hard to reach areas are a pain. I don't know if there's any really good paint remover you could get, the new NitroMors is nothing like the old stuff.
mivecrx

Postby ottostreet » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:40 am

Think I might throw them all into a bucket of brake cleaner for a few hours and go at them with a wire brush then to get them good and clean. Not worried about the rubber seals, as I'd get a refurb kit for each one. If all fails, then buy new callipers. Car would be off the road for this so not a particular disaster if it doesn't work out. Is there any flaws to trying that with brake cleaner?
ottostreet
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby jayod12b » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:21 am

Get them sand blasted, like new in 5 minutes
jayod12b
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Return to For Sale