Scooby

A forum dedicated to quick Japanese motors

Moderator: Moderators

Scooby

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Wed May 04, 2005 11:22 am

Has anyone here driven a Scooby aka Impreza 4WD Turbo in its various incarnations?

I have the use of a 98 Impreza for a few weeks while I'm waiting on a replacement for the GF's car. They don't look like much but they can certainly shift. I think the initial thump in the back from a standstill start is its greatest trick - incredible traction and grip.

I'm also selling this one for a mate so if you know of anyone on the lookout for a well maintained 98 turbo impreza (Irish car - 215bhp) then PM me for details and photos of the car.

Its fairly high mileage at 90K but you certainly wouldn't think it to look at it or drive it. Its just been given a major service inc 4 new bridgestones, and a new fuel pump (these can give trouble) - very reliable car that gives massive bangs per € with an asking price of €10.950.

I'd be driving one myself if the FTO didn't exist. :lol:
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Mustang » Wed May 04, 2005 11:47 am

MfFTO, Is this Pajevo's ex motor? Sign me up for a tyre kicking session!
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby AL » Wed May 04, 2005 12:39 pm

ive drive lots of wrx STI models, 280 bhp as standard :D , the brother has a 95 STI four door, which has so much done to it i wouldnt know where to begin, 365 bhp at last rolling road, i drove an electric blue one for a very short while, straight in from japan.......... front mounted intercooler, equal length downpipes, straight thru exhaust, uprated turbo etc, still reckon it was faster than his :o , alas i had bought it in for a friend.

im seriously thinking of gettin one for myself, could be a long time off though :cry:
AL
I prefer my FTO to the missus
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Wed May 04, 2005 1:32 pm

Mustang wrote:MfFTO, Is this Pajevo's ex motor? Sign me up for a tyre kicking session!

Yeah - He's out of the country so much he just has not had any time to sell it - I said I'd shift it for him if he gave it to me for a few weeks.

You're welcome to take a look - it'll be in Shannon from next week - so give me a shout.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Wed May 04, 2005 1:59 pm

AL wrote:ive drive lots of wrx STI models, 280 bhp as standard :D , the brother has a 95 STI four door, which has so much done to it i wouldnt know where to begin, 365 bhp at last rolling road, i drove an electric blue one for a very short while, straight in from japan.......... front mounted intercooler, equal length downpipes, straight thru exhaust, uprated turbo etc, still reckon it was faster than his :o , alas i had bought it in for a friend.

im seriously thinking of gettin one for myself, could be a long time off though :cry:

Yeah the STI's are pretty quick cars - I drove an uprated STI type RA with at least 350BHP a year ago - an absolute holigan of a car.
Even the standard turbos are really tuneable - It wouldn't take a lot of effort to get a standard turbo up to 300bhp and thats plenty quick.

Standard Turbos are not renowned for their fuel economy but further increases in power seems to seriously affect fuel economy to the point where it doesn't make sense even to a petrolhead like me. I had another mates STI recently for the day and the fuel economy was scary - def no better than 15mpg. Hes currently selling his STI to move to a normal (later model) turbo because hes doing quite a few miles and would like a car that can stay in the 20-30 MPG range.

Driving a scooby for a while makes you see what a good balance on looks and performance the FTO is. Pity that the insurance on an FTO is so much more than a Scooby though - it really is a nonsense. The money you'd probably save on fuel goes on the increased insurance premium.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby kevinod » Wed May 04, 2005 4:14 pm

Heard of a guy driving a scooby putting 100 quid a week into his petrol tank before... :shock:

Unfortunately my only Impreza driving experience was a 1.6 for half a day while my Xsara was being serviced. Think I'd fancy a go off one of these turbo ones sometime! :twisted:

You on commission for this one Mffto? :wink:

Kev.
Steel Silver manual GR (95 C)
kevinod

Postby Mustang » Wed May 04, 2005 4:25 pm

Kevinod wrote
Heard of a guy driving a scooby putting 100 quid a week into his petrol tank before...

Ouch, Well if you were running it on 97 or 98 octane it's easy to see how you could arrive at that figure. (got some the other night €1.30 per litre :shock: ) of course hugely dependant on distance and the driving style. Still serious money!

Kevinod wrote
You on commission for this one Mffto?

Was wondering that myself :?: Anything else in the yard that might interest us :)
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Thu May 05, 2005 12:36 am

Kevinod wrote
You on commission for this one Mffto?
Mustang wrote:Was wondering that myself :?: Anything else in the yard that might interest us :)

Nah - just doing a favour for a mate.
I've sold 6 performance cars in the space of a couple of years so I'm getting the hang of it now. Having said that I've done very well on any car I've bought or sold over the last 10years. My last car I bought for 16.5K and sold it a year later for 21K - Its knowing what to buy and when to sell thats the trick - and not hanging onto a car for too long helps - and you need to talk the talk. And having mechanic and bodyshop mates really helps for servicing and touchups etc. Also when it comes to performance cars theres no point selling a particular model when theres 10 similar cars for sale at the time. I find that very often the asking price of the car is not the issue - its the availability of certain types of buyers thats the issue. There are guys who must have a particular model of a particular car and will pay good money for a nice example. The present silly market prices of Glanza's, Treuno's and Civic and Integra Type R's is testament to this.

Also made a small profit on the mazda I sold at the weekend despite having had the car for a year.
Rarely loose money on a car though one I will be losing money on is my present FTO - I've just spent too much on it to ever have a chance of recouping anything like enough - may have to hang onto it for a while.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to Japanese Performance