[EVENT] Rising Sun Japanese Car Show, [9/10th May 2009]

This forum is a means of informing the community on up and coming meets and events

Moderators: Moderators, Event Organisers

Re: [EVENT] Rising Sun Japanese Car Show, [9/10th May 2009]

Postby Dragonheart » Mon May 11, 2009 12:05 pm

Thanks Grace, it was great to meet everyone and thanks for a very warm welcome.

I thought the whole thing was excellent, I enjoyed the drive, (yes it was tiring at the ends of the journeys seeing as out of 72 hours we had 8 hours sleep but with roads like that it flew!)all the ways across Ireland, Wales, and England. But poor Jamie got his glasses eaten by my glove box! But from the stories he was telling thats not the worst thing thats ever happened him, I have definetaly damaged at least 2 internal organs from the severity of laughter!!
The ferry was class, Bernard tried getting a vid of the sun rising on the journey back but we had to get back to the cars less than 5 mins before it broke the horizon.
The B+B we stayed in and the whole village was amazing, seriously scenic, and great craic in the pub. And we even drank pints of bitter to try to mix in. We ate in the pub in the day and it was a fabulous meal! I wont go into the cost of stuff cause it would depress everyone, we are serioulsy getting rode here!!
Lincoln town is a stunning place, old quarter and cathedral there, really beautiful!
The show was excellent, I got loads of pics but will load them up later if thats all right, think I had about 200 altogether. The standard of cars was great, the amount of FTO's, Evos, Scooby's, Type R's, Skylines, GTO's, Supras, everything there! Even an NSX, made my day that one! Oh, and the marshall in the Punto trying to chase 2 Scooby's who drifted out the grass onto the road, (I might add that that was the closest that came anywhere near 'messing' and they were well away from anyone but were still reprimanded!), thought it was funny to see that. The whole organisation of the event was excellent, its an eye opener to whats out there, and how these things can go ahead with no messing, no crap, and just good fun.
Lots of people looking at our tax discs wondering where they were from, I think we were close to being the only Irish there, def on display anyway.
And of course a massive thanks to the gang at FTOOC, Mitsiclub, and Clan-Japan who we chatted to, had a laugh with, give us tips and advice, let us sit in their cars, shared their experiences, and were a very welcoming, enthusiastic, and all round, top crew! :smt023 (Even though we did start to park in front of their tents at 5.30 in the morning!)
Big thanks to the lads who came along, Bernard, Colm, Jamie, and Seanie, they made the whole weekend full of laughs and made what was a very long drive seem like a trip down the road.
I would definately be up for this again, when I return from my travels, and would say to anyone, its worth doing once at least, something about driving in a different country with your own car.
Thanks again to all involved.
Now, I'm of to bed!
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby TopCat » Mon May 11, 2009 1:18 pm

Wow, sounds like a great time was had by all. Looking forward to seeing the pics and hearing the rest of the stories. :)
TopCat
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Postby colm_mcm » Mon May 11, 2009 6:44 pm

I'm just after a 11 hour sleep marathon!

Martin's essay pretty much sums up the weekend perfectly, It felt like a bit of an epic drive, almost like something from a TopGear adventure, from the wrong turns and subsequent rush not to miss the ferry, worrying about the front bumpers clearing the ramps onto the boat, but mostly from the omnipresence of good natured pisstaking and camaraderie which made the trip so much more enjoyable.

Some of the cars on show were stunning, the NSX, Supras, RX7s, and collection of Evos were my non-FTO favourites.

It was nice to see some new FTOs, with some modifications I haven't seen before, the engine bays were in another league to what we're used to (pics to follow) Was nice to meet up with the UK owners, who - it has to be said, are a sound bunch.
colm_mcm

Postby colm_mcm » Tue May 12, 2009 12:59 am

OK, photos uploaded

HERE!
colm_mcm

Postby Bernard » Tue May 12, 2009 6:00 am

I have to agree with the lads, by and large an excellent weekend.
It was great to put faces to names and get a few ideas for the car, well worth the 800 mile round trip. :wink:

As Martin said, there was great craic had outside of the show too.
Lovely scenery like the peak district, Lincon and the Robin Hood countryside.
I got a great laugh from the '85 hilux driving (think Topgear) milkman we met who pointed out that Martin had "a leet out thy knows".

The roads were a pleasure to drive with some novel ideas we could do well to replicate here, ie signposts and good surfaces :roll:

The only thing missing was a few more Irish FTOs, would have been nice to have a convoy of more than two or three.

Pics here: http://s216.photobucket.com/albums/cc263/NoBroadband/Rising%20Sun%2009/
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dragonheart » Tue May 12, 2009 9:39 am

So we hit off after meeting Seb, through Dublin, and made it through Dublin and onto the ferry

The crossing was smooth and as we neared the coastline of Wales we had a feeling there was a good weekend ahead

Once we left the traffic coming off the ferry we were on our own for the majority of the trip through England

But it was worth it, we saw lots of FTO's;

Even some supercars;

And some not so supercars;

It was a weekend of laughs and happiness, a Christmas morning feeling;

Even brought out te romantic side in some people;

So with our weekend over and our goodbyes said, we hit for home, and rode off into the sunset;

And hit the ferry back home;

And the result of all that madness is in the pics in the link here;
http://s576.photobucket.com/albums/ss207/martyjer/Rising%20Sun%202009/

Sorry about the order of them, they're not in any order, happened when I was loading them up.
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

The Rising Sun car show pics

Postby karlf » Fri May 15, 2009 12:33 am

karlf
I'm addicted to my FTO
I'm addicted to my FTO

Re: The Rising Sun car show pics

Postby colm_mcm » Sun May 17, 2009 9:10 pm

Threads merged
colm_mcm