Help My Baby is dying

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Help My Baby is dying

Postby Joejo » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:00 am

Hey Guys n Girls.
Im new here but not new to FTO's I got a slight problem you may be able to help me with.
Both my mivec solenoids are fuqued one wont energise and the other wont budge at all.
Im Irish btw although I live in the uk. Im from D24.
A little backround.
Ive owned my FTO for 4 years sadly 18mths ago I had to put her away as there was a list of things I just couldnt afford to do
so she had a little rest.
now she is all pretty again and the engine is playin silly buggers the idle is rough she aint burning fuel efficently and she sounds
like she got a big bore exhaust even though its factory standard.
After exhausting all other avenues I decided it was time to remove the rocker heads.
to my disgust I found some lifters were very stiff (no problems there) and one of my mivec solenoids completly seized
the other unresponsive to electric stimulation.
does anyone know of anywhere I may find 2 solenoids ??
I have tried the guys @ SMC but no Joy There
You Know It Makes Sense
Joejo
1st gear
1st gear

Re: Help My Baby is dying

Postby Joejo » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:46 am

Update: I took out the 2 mivec solenoids and boiled them cleaned them out with an airline and freed up the seized one and I managed to get em moving :smt005
Applied 12v feed and they worked woo-hoo.
put them back into the car and re-assembled the engine ( Bonus=had no bits left over )
Started her up and took her for a spin. she runs beautyfull now just gotta change the thermostat and do those sticky lifters and she should be perfect again :ll
I reckon if anyone has a running problem and its not the obvious then check the mivec solenoids. Ill put some pics up when I do the lifters to show the process for
testing and cleaning the solenoids.
I hope my painfull experience helps others >.<
You Know It Makes Sense
Joejo
1st gear
1st gear

Postby optical illusion » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:31 pm

Your thread title is a bit inappropriate...
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby goz_83 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:18 pm

optical illusion wrote:Your thread title is a bit inappropriate...

I thought the same thing.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby threediamonds » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:13 pm

Obviously he's talking about his car. Lots of people call their cars their 'baby'. This forum has had millions of posts that were a lot more 'inappropriate' than this. We all know what he means.

Glad your problem is fixed Joejo:)
Dublin- Home of Guinness, Dáil Éireann and square wheels.
threediamonds
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby goz_83 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:50 am

On first glance, i thought it was going to be one of those scams, where you transfer money into an account and in return, some long lost prince of the Congo would send you millions of diamonds as a thank you. :lol:
Last edited by goz_83 on Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby threediamonds » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:40 pm

goz_83 wrote:On first glance, i though it was going to be one of those scams, where you transfer money into an account and in return, some long lost prince of the Congo would send you millions of diamonds as a thank you. :lol:

I only found out last week that I am the last remaining living relative of King Abokuhubbuubu of Somalia- unfortunately he was in an accident and I have inherited his millions. Just sent off my credit card details, bank account numbers and the deeds to my house to complete the transfer of funds.

Any day now the millions will be transferred into my account! Cant wait- so excited!!!!!!!! :D
threediamonds
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby optical illusion » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:56 pm

I know what he meant, I didn't ask to be jumped on, I actually went 'oh god!' when I read it first before remembering where I was, maybe posted as a shock factor to get more clicks, which worked, we clicked! Can't remember any thread titles like that being posted before, but thanks for your input.
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby threediamonds » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:13 am

He didn't ask to be 'jumped on' either but in my opinion he was. If people have an issue with posts or posters contact the Mods- that's what they are there for. Maybe the guy just posted the title as a title and not for 'shock value'. He was talking about his car and we all knew what he meant so why the need to question him? And this place has had heaps of posts that were well over the dodgy line- and they have been edited or removed from time to time by the mods. Forum is small enough without alienating new members.
threediamonds
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby Mitsinut » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:11 am

To be fair though, the shock value was added through the title, bit like Skysports transfer deadline day......
Mitsinut
Octane king
Octane king

Return to FTO Technical