Fto electrical problem and missing on revs

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Fto electrical problem and missing on revs

Postby bartyboo » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:32 am

Hi i am having problems with my 95 fto none mivec, i brought the car 6 months ago to get ready for a pit pass, seem to drive ok when i took it for a test drive, the car had sat for well over a year without being started, seem to drive ok with fuel and battery put in, after getting the car home the battery went flat and i had also cleaning the engine bay so it it was all washed, when i finally got car going with charged battery i had had nothing but problems, its been 6 months so any water im guessing would have dried up!
since then i have replaced spark plugs fuel filter, air filter and it still misses on a quick rev, slow revs its ok but when its stone cold it is fine for the first 2 mins without missing even why driving or sitting.
im guessing it also has a electrical problem as when you put heaters or something on it idles more rough and drops in idle and misses more and dash lights dim!
when im driving it if i quickly put my foot down its like it has water in the leads or something as it wants to go but struggles then takes off, im not sure if the electrical problem has to do with this but everything is fine when car stone cold. im getting it looked at now but any help would maybe cost me less to try find the problem, i have done the ecu error code thing with the dash lights and getting no error?
Thanks for any help
bartyboo

Re: Fto electrical problem and missing on revs

Postby brccrx » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:14 pm

Whare i would start if i was You its the Air Flow Meter called MAF in short.

Its right beside the airbox, the best and inexpensive way is to swap it with fully working unit from non Mivec engine that didnt have any problem and rule it out.
Next thing on Your list is Throttle Position Sensor, same thing, swap it with fully working one from engine that run well.

Welcome to the forum!
If U could update Your location that might help as there might be someone close to You to provide some help.
Only one ever build 1.3 turbo Fto, 0.7 bar on stock internals...because your imagination is the only boundary :)
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Postby bartyboo » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:52 pm

Thank you brccrx, all updated Hobart tasmania :) to be honest I see an fto
Down my way as much as xmas comes around. .
Would both them parts do it when the car gets warm or after say 2 mins from cold?
Stone cold I have nice hard quick revs
bartyboo

Postby brccrx » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:31 pm

I would just start from them two but You no way of swapping the parts, hmmm.

Disconnect TPS give it a bit throttle, is it all the same?

Then, plug back in the TPS and unplug MAF, press accelerator pedal again, any change?

BTW, U might get an engine error code after that but in this case just disconnect the battery for a few minutes and connect it back that will erase any errors from the ECU.

When U say that U get no error codes do You mean the light doesnt blink at all or its flashing short constantly?
Only one ever build 1.3 turbo Fto, 0.7 bar on stock internals...because your imagination is the only boundary :)
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Postby bartyboo » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:36 am

It flashes short constantly, i think at one stage i did get error 41 or 14 but at that stage i wasnt home to check what flashes ment, was hard to tell as i said my dash lights are really dim and have to put something over dash to see lights for error codes, but with ecu error codes reset many times with disconnect battery it still playing up and has not shown a error since, i will pass this onto the guy looking at it thank you, im thinking when heaters are on and idle drops and chugs is another problem electrical, if heater temp to low it has loud clicking..
bartyboo

Postby brccrx » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:22 am

Afaik 14 was the TPS sensor, could be related?
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Return to FTO Technical