Radiator bleed screw?

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Radiator bleed screw?

Postby White_Beast » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:17 am

Hi all,

Only just got my GR back on the road after a 4 year period of money saving and backpacking. It's running on just water at the moment but will be renewing it with anti freeze / summer coolant before the cold weather kicks in.

Anyone know if or where the bleed screw is on an FTO to get air out of the cooling system? Or do you have to "burp" it by running the car with the water cap off? Any information or tips appreciated, thanks.
1994 Mitubishi FTO GR owner 05 / April / 2005 to 06 / October / 2013
White_Beast
Super unleaded
Super unleaded

Re: Radiator bleed screw?

Postby StewyD32 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:00 am

Just leave the cap off the collant tower and run it for a while to "burp it" as you say.
If your looking for the drainage plug its at the bottom left of the rad to drain it.
Silver 97 Mirage Asti V coupe
Burgundy 95 GR
Silver 95 GPX
StewyD32
Full Throttle Owner!
Full Throttle Owner!

Postby White_Beast » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:55 am

Can't find this drainage plug for the life of me. Just undid the bottom hose, drained, then flushed it through. Started the car and left it run a few times, the heaters are coming on now so i guess all the air is out. Been running just water for 4 - 5 weeks after my service including new water pump. Didn't think it would hurt for such a short period of time but the water is very rusty. I'm guessing it's the water jackets? Grrr :evil: Not happy.

Guess i'll have to get some radiator flush then an anti freeze with a rust inhibitor? Just when i was getting on top of things as well :cry:
White_Beast
Super unleaded
Super unleaded

Postby goz_83 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:47 am

Ah it's not a bad set back, but running only water for anything other than an emergency is a bad idea. I ran my 318 on water when it was losing cooling on the way to Dublin from Leitrim, but after that, it was coolant all the way, even though it was leaking at the time. I must have gone through 20 litres by the time the problem was found and fixed
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby White_Beast » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:57 pm

Just to update...

I flushed the system out as much as i could and took all the hoses off and coolant tower and gave them as good a clean inside as possible. Put it all back together and used a radiator flush with rust inhibitor. Went for a 50mile burn, let it cool and flushed it again. I've since refilled with water + anti freeze and id say 95% of the rust colour has gone. Should be fine over winter now but i'll flush again with the radiator cleaner in march which should 100% sort it.

Never running on just water again - never thought it would be problematic over just 1month though. Lesson learnt the hard way.
White_Beast
Super unleaded
Super unleaded

Postby Bernard » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:20 pm

Take a look here, it's something I'm thinking about myself at the moment.
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby White_Beast » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:46 pm

Bernard wrote:Take a look here, it's something I'm thinking about myself at the moment.

THAT looks very interesting. I think i know what to ask santa for come xmas now :D Thanks for the link, i'll research it a little and as long as there are no horror stories, i'll be having some of that. How much coolant does the FTO take? 3 or 4 litres?
White_Beast
Super unleaded
Super unleaded

Postby Chris_Heilong » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:47 pm

Bernard wrote:Take a look here, it's something I'm thinking about myself at the moment.

This sounds interesting, might get this stuff and call out thoses Terraclean guys that do the carbon cleaning on your door step.
White 98 GX, HID lights, SS Exhaust, 17" BK racing Alloys, lowered Suspension, Veilside rear bumper, illuminated Door handles, Leatherette seats
Chris_Heilong
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Postby Bernard » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:51 pm

I emailed them last week asking about Irish stockists and got the following response.

Hi Bernard.

Many thanks for your enquiry.

We are in talks with a good few establishments over in Ireland at the moment.

We hope to have a distributor secured by the end of next week as we are receiving more and more enquiries from there.

We can ship direct to you ourselves if you would like us to.

Best Regards.

Nathan.
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Chris_Heilong » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:11 pm

Bernard wrote:I emailed them last week asking about Irish stockists and got the following response.

Hi Bernard.

Many thanks for your enquiry.

We are in talks with a good few establishments over in Ireland at the moment.

We hope to have a distributor secured by the end of next week as we are receiving more and more enquiries from there.

We can ship direct to you ourselves if you would like us to.

Best Regards.

Nathan.

could be a group buy situation, keep me posted incase you want to order direct
White 98 GX, HID lights, SS Exhaust, 17" BK racing Alloys, lowered Suspension, Veilside rear bumper, illuminated Door handles, Leatherette seats
Chris_Heilong

Postby goz_83 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:22 pm

I woulde very interested in this. I am seriouly looking at changing my coolant hoses to samco hoses, so this would be a good time to do that. How much of this stuff is needed?

Separate question: Are the samco hose kits worth it? I am looking at €160 to get the hoses from murray mtorsport. The kit is different for manual and tips, manual being a bit more expensive. I have blue silicone hoses on the way to dress up the engine bay, but I have no coolant hoses ordered to match. I wouldnt feel comfortable using anything other than what's recommended and I am guessing the top coolant hose is curvy for a reason.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Bernard » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:29 am

Chris_Heilong wrote:could be a group buy situation, keep me posted incase you want to order direct

It looks like that could be on the cards.
I asked them about offering a club discount or at least a discount if we organised a group buy and they seemed to go for it.
I should know more in the next day or two so watch this space.
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Chris_Heilong » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:49 am

nice on mate
Chris_Heilong

Postby goz_83 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:04 pm

Des Hughes Motors in PortLaoise looks like the first Irish stockist.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby gt94 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:19 pm

Going a bit off topic sorry but was watching Wheeler Dealers during the week, and they used water-free coolant it suposed to last the life of the car anyone ever used or heard of it?
gt94
Nothing comes between me and my FTO
Nothing comes between me and my FTO

Postby Bernard » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:52 pm

That's where I saw it first too, it's the same stuff as linked to above.
They even mention Wheeler Dealers on their site http://www.evanscoolants.co.uk/news/wheeler-dealers/38
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to FTO Technical