Head gasket oil leak

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Head gasket oil leak

Postby gt-bal » Thu May 09, 2013 9:36 pm

Hi guys. Not having much luck so far maybe this time. Lol. I have a small oil leak for a while now. It's coming from the head gasket or cover. It does not leak much just over time there is bit of a mess under the engine and onto the starter. Usual just clean it up every few months but think it time to sort it out. I have a mivic and she in good nick. I was lead to believe the mivic engine does not have a gasket seal on the head only like a heat rubber silicone seal. Is this correct Has anyone else had this prob and how was it solved. Thanks.
gt-bal
1st gear
1st gear

Re: Head gasket oil leak

Postby goz_83 » Thu May 09, 2013 11:07 pm

97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Wed May 15, 2013 2:09 pm

It could be a worn rocker cover gasket, common issue - its a cheap and relatively easy replacement:

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m3b0s9p59/MIT ... _Non_Mivec

It could, however, be a cam seal leak - a common issue on the MIVEC engines and a a labour intensive job to fix. First try and identify the source of the leak and come back.
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby optical illusion » Wed May 15, 2013 9:56 pm

CJ wrote:It could, however, be a cam seal leak - a common issue on the MIVEC engines and a a labour intensive job to fix. First try and identify the source of the leak and come back.

I have this problem for years now, Paul Nolan won't quote me to fix it :) It annoys me that it wrecks the engine bay but doesn't affect the car so it's coming from the half moon seals - just drive it on.
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby goz_83 » Thu May 16, 2013 12:32 am

CJ wrote:It could be a worn rocker cover gasket, common issue - its a cheap and relatively easy replacement:

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m3b0s9p59/MIT ... _Non_Mivec

It could, however, be a cam seal leak - a common issue on the MIVEC engines and a a labour intensive job to fix. First try and identify the source of the leak and come back.

That gasket is for a GR/GX. OP has a GPX.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby brccrx » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:16 am

optical illusion wrote:
CJ wrote:It could, however, be a cam seal leak - a common issue on the MIVEC engines and a a labour intensive job to fix. First try and identify the source of the leak and come back.

I have this problem for years now, Paul Nolan won't quote me to fix it :) It annoys me that it wrecks the engine bay but doesn't affect the car so it's coming from the half moon seals - just drive it on.

Have the same problem with oil leaking from under the half moon seals, will be lifting off the cam tray to get this sorted, pain in the ar$e generally :) as the timing belt has to be of, but can be done in a few good hours.
Only one ever build 1.3 turbo Fto, 0.7 bar on stock internals...because your imagination is the only boundary :)
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Return to FTO Technical