Changing the water pump

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Changing the water pump

Postby holio » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:42 pm

Drove home from work earlier and steam started p***ing out from under the bonnet in traffic.
After looking iv found its the waterpump thats the cause. Its working fine but the seal is banjackeds and vomitting up the coolant.
Thankfully iv a new one here so ill be doing it tomorrow.
Iv spent the last hour searching on here for any guides but cant find any.
If theres any floating around it'd be great but if not ill make one.

Thats if my fingers don't fall off from the cold :(
The ONLY 95GR in shocking red with these specific faults.
holio
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Re: Changing the water pump

Postby goz_83 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:57 pm

The weather alone would make me leave it with a garage, but it wouldn't be cheap I suppose with the extra labour involved with belts. Still, you could just hold the camera and take snaps of someone else freezing their fingers off.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby holio » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:40 pm

goz_83 wrote:The weather alone would make me leave it with a garage, but it wouldn't be cheap I suppose with the extra labour involved with belts. Still, you could just hold the camera and take snaps of someone else freezing their fingers off.

Its been losing coolant the last month but only a pint a week or there abouts, at the side of the road i filled it right up and from lucan to mine it lost a litre.
Tappets are really bad aswel and no longer quieten down after a few minutes so was talking to gerry and going to get a second hand engine off him for considerably less than the price of the lifters. Was hoping the water pump would last but nope.
I would store the car till i got the engine but with me recovering from surgery i ended up giving the work car to one of the lads to do my share in work till im recovered.

Messy messy messy.
holio
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby holio » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:59 am

Well i got the jop started, car and engine jacked up, left hand side engine mount removed and T belt cover removed. I then quickly reassembled everything! After 30minutes my hands are blue and slowly giving up.
Now ringing round garages to see if theyl either do it cheap or lease me some garage space for an hour and half.
holio
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby goz_83 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:03 am

Have you considered an underground carpark? If you insist on doing the work yourself in relative comfort, that might be your best bet.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Sebastian » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:20 pm

Do you have knowledge to do it yourself?
no1. manual GR 96 l no2. tip GR 95 l no3. manual Gpx 95 l no.4 manual Gpx 95 l no.5 manual Gpx 96 l no.6 tip GR 95 - in 2011 took a break from the FTO scene
Sebastian

Postby holio » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:04 am

Sebastian wrote:Do you have knowledge to do it yourself?

Iv done plenty of work on other cars from small meanial stuff to the bigger engine recons but neve on an fto.
Needless to say i was miles off on my hour and half estimation. 2 hours just to get a look at the water pump housing.
Yea took your advice goz and went up to one of the lads apartment car park.
It was a halms of a job to begin with and ended up even worse, wrong water pump!!!
Iv put the original pump back in with a new gasket around it and it seems to be holding. Ill just be very ginger with the car till january when i get the engine off gerry.
holio
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby goz_83 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:34 pm

holio wrote:
Sebastian wrote:Do you have knowledge to do it yourself?

took your advice goz and went up to one of the lads apartment car park.

Hopefully it holds for you
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to FTO Technical