Advice before selling my fto

General FTO discussion only

Moderator: Moderators

Advice before selling my fto

Postby karlf » Wed May 14, 2014 12:48 am

Long story short is I put my fto up for sale today and I'm in two minds about selling it. Always said I would keep it even if I got a new car.
So before I sell it I was looking for info on keeping it as a second car. I read somewhere on here that you can get classic insurance on it if its your 2nd car. Anyone done this? What price was it to insure the fto as a second car?
I need to get a small car as I'm planning on doing a course which means I wont be working for a while. Need something cheaper to run. I'm thinking either a small car 1-1.5 litre or maybe a bike (not sure if a bike would work for 2nd car insurance). If I did go down this road and kept the Fto what sort of milage are you limited to on a 2nd car/classic insurance policy?
Also the reason I was thinking about selling it is because I barely used it the last 2 years because I had a work van and my insurance went up from 300 to 570 in two years. I'd no accidents, penalty points or anything like that. I couldn't justify paying over €1000 for tax and insurance when I might have used the car twice a month. So is this the norm, have premiums on ftos gone up that much? Who are people with and what price are you paying? I'm 32, 11 years ncb and full licence 11 years with no points. Last policy was with 123 but that finished last October.
karlf
I'm addicted to my FTO
I'm addicted to my FTO

Re: Advice before selling my fto

Postby Kace » Wed May 14, 2014 12:54 pm

I can help with some of your questions.
- The FTO has transitioned into being my second car and I have it insured as a classic for €350
- It is not a runner to insure an FTO as a second car in its own right, as your NCB cannot be applied to another car if it is already being used. I am old(er) and have full massive NCB. Cheapest quote for me without NCB was about €1200 !
- Classic policy limits to about 6000km IIRC
- Classic insurance will drop by another €100 when your car hits 20 years. For me this is next year
- I tax the FTO for 6 months and stored it up last year for the winter months. Started first time 6 months later ;-)
So all in the FTO will cost you the guts of €800 to run for 6 months of the year. Another €350 or so on top for the full year

So, some expense of course to keep multiple cars, but for me it's still worth it - I even went out last night for a wee Mivec burn at 11pm as a treat, as most other cars are just not like the FTO !
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby karlf » Wed May 14, 2014 8:07 pm

Cheers Kace.
What company is the classic insurance with? I cant even get an fto insured now as I keep getting we wont take it on as new business and thats even going back to 123 who my policy was with until last October.
To be honest with the amount of driving I do I'd probably save money on petrol alone.
karlf
I'm addicted to my FTO
I'm addicted to my FTO

Postby goz_83 » Wed May 14, 2014 11:26 pm

Cant add much to what Kace said. Campion can do fto as classic once its 15 years plus. Mileage limit is 5-6k, but not monitored.

The other option is storing it. Thats what i was and still plan to do if mine can be repaired.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby brccrx » Thu May 15, 2014 12:33 am

Kace wrote:I even went out last night for a wee Mivec burn at 11pm as a treat, as most other cars are just not like the FTO !

Wheres the like button when You need it?! :)
Only one ever build 1.3 turbo Fto, 0.7 bar on stock internals...because your imagination is the only boundary :)
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Return to General FTO Discussion