steamey windows

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

steamey windows

Postby MY-JAP-MISTRESS » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:37 am

can anyone help. my windows keep on steaming up way too much only started last week. I aint got a clue what it is. ive cleaned them all with meths but still just as bad. its the whole pass side of wind screen and pass side window and rear aswell. could it be heater matrix. ive spent a fortune on the car and now im soo close to just breaking it because im so fed up with fixing it. never had a car with so many things go wrong. I used to love the fto. im begining to hate it
MY-JAP-MISTRESS
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Re: steamey windows

Postby Sebastian » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:55 am

sounds like the heater matrix gave up the ghost. Have a search it's a common problem and unfortunately not a cheap fix .
no1. manual GR 96 l no2. tip GR 95 l no3. manual Gpx 95 l no.4 manual Gpx 95 l no.5 manual Gpx 96 l no.6 tip GR 95 - in 2011 took a break from the FTO scene
Sebastian

Postby holio » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:28 pm

Check underneath the car for any holes. With winter here and all the rain water could be getting in somewhere.
The ONLY 95GR in shocking red with these specific faults.
holio
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby MY-JAP-MISTRESS » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:03 pm

cheers guys was thinkin it the heater matrix. just gunna have to by pass it till I get the funds together to fix it properly. why cant these things happen in the summer when ya dont need or wnt hot air lol. dont think it is a hole underneeth cause she passed mot last month and she spotless under not even a lil rust about her
MY-JAP-MISTRESS
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby holio » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:04 pm

Check the pollen filter aswel, if its blocked it may not be letting fresh air in when you have the fans on so it just recirculates the already moist air in the car.
Not entirely sure on the fto as iv only had mine 2 weeks but the air intake for fresh air for heater is usually at the bottom of the front window under the wiper blade arms, its common to get a build up of leaves there.
If they get jammed in the intake and get wet they will give you your symptoms as your blower will be sucking in air that has had to go through wet leaves.
Just something to check instead of resigning yourself to having to replace the heater matrix.
The pollen filter is only a few euro (and it something thats usually neglected on services so wouldnt hurt to replace it anyway) and checking the intake will only cost you a few minutes.
holio
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby CJ » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:19 pm

holio wrote:Check the pollen filter aswel

The FTO doesn't have a pollen filter.

As per Sebs suggestion, the most likely cause is the heater matrix, check the passo side carpet for damp, its a sure sign that the matrix is bust.
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby optical illusion » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:24 pm

If not the matrix it could just be that the days are getting colder now and with your body heat... it's been happening me a lot lately. Fan to windows on high (aircon will speed this up) and back window heater on, sorts my problem within 5 mins of pulling out of the driveway.
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby MY-JAP-MISTRESS » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:37 pm

the carpet is dry. if i drive with windows down it clears all windows exept windscreen on the passenger side. does anyone know the size of the pipes leading to the matrix so i can bypass it with a metal pipe untill i get the funds for a new matrix. im guessing bypassing the matrix will solve the steamey windows so i will know that is what it is for sure.

after buying 4 new shocks, springs and getting the timing belt done this year i may have to live with cold air for a long time
MY-JAP-MISTRESS
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby holio » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:02 pm

CJ wrote:
holio wrote:Check the pollen filter aswel

The FTO doesn't have a pollen filter.

As per Sebs suggestion, the most likely cause is the heater matrix, check the passo side carpet for damp, its a sure sign that the matrix is bust.

Woops my bad
holio
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby MY-JAP-MISTRESS » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:33 pm

ok so ive disconnected and bypassed the heater matrix and windows seem fine atm, so think problem deffo with the matrix. will drive home 2night and that should show for sure or not. had to use a piece of underfloor heating pipe to join the 2 hoses together (only thing I could find that was 17mm) just hope its strong enough didnt look like there was any leak arround it. so im a bit happier now anyway and not wanting to cut the car in half with a sledgehammer... for now
MY-JAP-MISTRESS
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby StewyD32 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:11 pm

Silver 97 Mirage Asti V coupe
Burgundy 95 GR
Silver 95 GPX
StewyD32
Full Throttle Owner!
Full Throttle Owner!

Postby colm_mcm » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:42 pm

I wouldnt buyna matrix unless I removed it myself, theyre notoriously fragile.
colm_mcm

Postby goz_83 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:16 pm

Make sense to ask Gerry. Usually my 1st call for parts and he does have a full fto breaking now. I wouldn't be paying over €200 postage for anything, unless she spoke Russian ;)
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby MY-JAP-MISTRESS » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:59 pm

ok so who is this Gerry and do you think he would do 1 on the cheap if he took it out carefully
MY-JAP-MISTRESS
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby Gerry » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:13 pm

Hi Mate.

I do have one in a car im breakin, but im not able to do anything for a month or so, have a broken ankle.
I think using a second hand matrix is madness.
For the work that is involved and for peace of mind i recommend you just get a new one.
I replaced mine about 3 or 4 years ago, i got a new one from ricerocket i the uk and had it delivered for about 180 euro approx.
Gerry
Have you seen my FTO tattoo?
Have you seen my FTO tattoo?

Postby MY-JAP-MISTRESS » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:40 pm

cheers Gerry was kinda thinkin it could be a bad job with a 2nd hand on considering im goin to do the work myself, I couldnt be arsed doing it twice in maybe a few months. will just have to put up with the cold for a while longer. actually thinkin of taken the fto of the road and get a cheap runabout for a few months because after xmas I got insurance renewal and road tax to magic up from god knows where
MY-JAP-MISTRESS
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby goz_83 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:42 am

Cheers for that tail light Gerry. I sealed the little crack and it can't be seen at all now that I have the blue fly eyes tint on them. Lookin good .
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to FTO Technical