NCT Arklow- 2 times n still no joy

Discuss issues related to the NCT \ MOT

Moderator: Moderators

NCT Arklow- 2 times n still no joy

Postby wexlandshell » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:03 pm

grrr had my nct this morning and they failed me again- this is the 2nd one that i had... d first one i had about a month and a half ago and they failed me on the suspension so i got new shocks for 200e and spent 500e on a service for the car to make sure it would pass on the 2nd round and then this morning i went back and they told me
1) 3 tyres are bald :oops: :oops:- should have changed them- my bad
2) Wishbones/ Bushes are gone on the front
3) Anti Roll Bar Bushes and links are gone on the front aswell

i said it to the dude in d test centre that i had failed d first one on the shocks and got that sorted and d bushes etc had been replaced and he told me that i was after travelling 4000 km since d last test and these things "tend to wear"....so I called the mechanic who serviced my car after i failed the first nct and he told me that he had replaced all the bushes when he did the service and d car shudnt have failed on them grrrrr so annoyed- Damn nct i think they do it just to make as much money out of you as possible!! Rant over!!! :( :( :(
wexlandshell
1st gear
1st gear

Postby colm_mcm » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:16 pm

would suggest bringing it to another mechanic. pref someone who knows FTOs.
colm_mcm

Postby TopCat » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:54 pm

Another thing to bare in mind is that if you book the retest within 21days, and bring it back in within the period they give you for a retest (30 days I think), they only check the items that have failed. ie they would only have check the suspension, so you would possibly have passed.
TopCat
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Postby colm_mcm » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:21 pm

I suppose the thing to bear in mind here is that a car which has no NCT defects will be nicer to drive, and it will be money well spent.
colm_mcm

Postby sconson » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:51 pm

I put my car back thru the NCT yesterday, I bought it without the nct but yer man said he had already put it thru and failed on all of what your car failed on aswell, told me he spent almost the guts of €800 to get it fixed up to pass, and fair play cos it passed yesterday.

Best of luck with it mate, try leave a €50 note in the glove box next time 8)

ITS A BIG RACKET ANYWAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
::: Silver '95 GPX :::
sconson
Speed freak
Speed freak

Postby wexlandshell » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:52 pm

yea i kno i shud hav brought it back within d mth but i was waiting for the shocks to be shipped in from japland ah well nothin i can do bout it now- just wrecks my head bout how things that passed the first time around can be worn by the 2nd test but i suppose its just wear n tear on d car :(
wexlandshell
1st gear
1st gear

Postby colm_mcm » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:23 pm

you should try camskill for the shocks. no good reason to get them from Japan.
colm_mcm

Postby Kace » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:55 pm

Maybe these bushings and links were the parts that were gone in the first place and not the shock absorbers ?

Or did the tester specifically say that you needed to replace your shock absorbers ?

Also - your mechanic says that he replaced all the bushes for you already ? I would ask him where he got his parts and part numbers from for this ? Only someone very familiar with FTOs would actually know which parts and where to source them.
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby optical illusion » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:41 pm

Kace wrote:Also - your mechanic says that he replaced all the bushes for you already ? I would ask him where he got his parts and part numbers from for this ? Only someone very familiar with FTOs would actually know which parts and where to source them.

I agree.. All sounds a bit fishy...
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to NCT \ MOT