My FTO's first NCT

Discuss issues related to the NCT \ MOT

Moderator: Moderators

My FTO's first NCT

Postby kevinod » Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:18 pm

Hey guys,

first post in the NCT forum for a while...

NCT finally booked for Wednesday next week, so giving it a good once over this weekend to find any last bits and pieces I might have missed...

Anyone suggest anything in particular I need to watch?

Brakes seem fine, although you can never tell, friend with a Fiesta failed about 4 times on the parking brake, and each time it seemed fine to use. Parked on the steepest hill we could find no problem. Got lights focused, fluid levels good, rear seatbelts showing, spare in good nick, 2 new tyres on front, rear tyres look fine.

Someone mentioned they thought they'd fail you for having non-standard pedals on it??? Sounds rubbish to me, especially as the Razo pedals I have are bigger than the normal onces which surely is better (bolted on around the existing pedals).

Also, would it be worth putting a can of emissions reducer in the tank over the weekend, or are the emissions usually fine on the FTO?

Kev.
Steel Silver manual GR (95 C)
kevinod

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:22 pm

I had trouble passing my previous FTO on the grounds that I had only 2 seatbelts in the back - no middle lap-belt. It took a few days of arguing that I had a 4 seater car (2 + 2) before the test centre relented and I got my NCT. You might need to be prepared for this - just in case.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:42 pm

Myfeckin FTO wrote:I had trouble passing my previous FTO on the grounds that I had only 2 seatbelts in the back - no middle lap-belt. It took a few days of arguing that I had a 4 seater car (2 + 2) before the test centre relented and I got my NCT. You might need to be prepared for this - just in case.

Guys, FYI in case you haven't seen this post

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Speedyboy » Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:28 pm

I had problems with emissions Kevin so might be worth getting them checked before you go in, Ive heard that if you fill the fuel filter with injector cleaner before going in the emissions are reduced but ive never tried it so cant vouch for it.

Also red lining it a few times before going in is reccommended :twisted:
Wavin - Unrivalled European supplier of plastic pipe systems
Speedyboy
I prefer my FTO to the missus
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Postby soc » Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:53 pm

Speedyboy wrote:Also red lining it a few times before going in is reccommended :twisted:

But sure you're gonna do that on the drive to the center....... aren't you :twisted:
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Mustang » Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:30 pm

Kevinod
Brakes seem fine, although you can never tell, friend with a Fiesta failed about 4 times on the parking brake, and each time it seemed fine to use. Parked on the steepest hill we could find no problem.

Kevin you sure it was failing on brake performance, as opposed to balance? (Even if one side was shagged, it would only require one wheel to lock to hold the car on a hill)

Bulbs:
Check the front indicator bulbs (on front bumper). These are the orange bulb type (pretty sure). With this type of bulb, the orange coating flakes off with time, resulting in a 'less orange' appearance to the light. Fail refusal.
Suggest you also check the rear number plate lighting, (not as obvious as the main lights).

Make sure the windscreen washer bottle is full.

Make sure the seat belts retract properly. Fail refusal if they don't.
Specific to the FTO, make sure the seat belt is retracted fully when you park the car. You know the way the bottom 10"s or so of the belt, (where its bolted to the floor) is a hard plastic, and this sometimes gets caught in the drivers seat adjustment leavers? Make sure the belt is sitting correctly.

Mustang
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby kevinod » Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:45 pm

Mustang wrote:Kevinod
Brakes seem fine, although you can never tell, friend with a Fiesta failed about 4 times on the parking brake, and each time it seemed fine to use. Parked on the steepest hill we could find no problem.

Kevin you sure it was failing on brake performance, as opposed to balance? (Even if one side was shagged, it would only require one wheel to lock to hold the car on a hill)

Bulbs:
Check the front indicator bulbs (on front bumper). These are the orange bulb type (pretty sure). With this type of bulb, the orange coating flakes off with time, resulting in a 'less orange' appearance to the light. Fail refusal.
Suggest you also check the rear number plate lighting, (not as obvious as the main lights).

Make sure the windscreen washer bottle is full.

Make sure the seat belts retract properly. Fail refusal if they don't.
Specific to the FTO, make sure the seat belt is retracted fully when you park the car. You know the way the bottom 10"s or so of the belt, (where its bolted to the floor) is a hard plastic, and this sometimes gets caught in the drivers seat adjustment leavers? Make sure the belt is sitting correctly.

Mustang

Not sure on the Fiesta thing, seemed like a good plan not to get involved myself so didn't get too close! :wink:

You can seriously get nailed on the indicator being 'less orange'?? I'll check them alright though!

Rear number plate has kinda uv bulb things which I want to change anyway, they just don't look the biz... doesn't help its the rear plate that is taller than the usual plate you get on cars.

Wouldn't have thought of the seatbelt thing either. Must check for a checklist on ncts.ie again, see is there something I can go through like that and check myself.

thanks Mustang, I'll make sure all that is sorted.

Kev.
kevinod

Postby kevinod » Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:50 pm

shane wrote:
Speedyboy wrote:Also red lining it a few times before going in is reccommended :twisted:

But sure you're gonna do that on the drive to the center....... aren't you :twisted:

Moi??? (where's that angel smiley gone :wink: )

Well, only in the name of passing the NCT you understand... :twisted:

Kev.
kevinod

Postby kevinod » Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:15 pm

Well, everything passed until he went to look under the car, and discovered the front anti-roll bar bushes are knacked, said with weight on it the bar could slide from side to side. He reckoned the droplinks were worn too so will have to replace those guys while I'm at it.

Everything else passed, which I'm pretty pleased with though, lights and emissions no probs, everything passed fairly comfortably! :)

Already have the bits ordered from Camskill, and found a good how-to for both the bushes and droplinks on funky-fto.co.uk, so as soon as they arrive I'll be rolling up the sleeves and sorting it out.

Looking forward to finding out how much improved the handling is with this sorted out, its pretty good as it is!

Kev.
kevinod

Postby Dave » Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:29 pm

i'm putting mine through next week, just on the seat belts, did he say nothing about them? oh and can they actually fail you if they don't retract properly?
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby kevinod » Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:43 pm

Dave wrote:i'm putting mine through next week, just on the seat belts, did he say nothing about them? oh and can they actually fail you if they don't retract properly?

Not a word about the back seatbelts, no hassles with that.

Seatbelts, dunno, maybe they take it as a sign that it won't work properly in the case of an accident or sharp breaking or something?

Gas, forgot about my immobiliser - you can't start the car even with the keys unless you know how to turn off the immobiliser - and went back out to my car to find an NCT guy sitting in it just looking at it wondering what the f*$! is going on. Probably nearly failed before the test even started! :lol:

Kev.
kevinod

Postby soc » Thu Oct 21, 2004 4:30 pm

kevinod wrote:Already have the bits ordered from Camskill, and found a good how-to for both the bushes and droplinks on funky-fto.co.uk, so as soon as they arrive I'll be rolling up the sleeves and sorting it out.

Kev.

Front drop links are usually an easy enough job - needs a good solid set of axle stands, some elbow grease and probably some wd-40 BUT the antiroll bar bushes are no easy job - unless you have access to a lift that will allow you drop the subframe I'd leave this to a mechanic.
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby kevinod » Thu Oct 21, 2004 4:46 pm

shane wrote:
kevinod wrote:Already have the bits ordered from Camskill, and found a good how-to for both the bushes and droplinks on funky-fto.co.uk, so as soon as they arrive I'll be rolling up the sleeves and sorting it out.

Kev.

Front drop links are usually an easy enough job - needs a good solid set of axle stands, some elbow grease and probably some wd-40 BUT the antiroll bar bushes are no easy job - unless you have access to a lift that will allow you drop the subframe I'd leave this to a mechanic.

I wonder has anyone here tried the bushes? From the how-to on Funky-fto it sounds like it wouldn't drop much, the top of the suspension struts would stop it from falling down altogether? The how-to makes it sound ok, the only tricky bit according to that is getting the arb cup off, and thats because a bolt is in an awkward place.

Hmmm still pretty tempted to give it a go...

Kev.
kevinod

Postby soc » Thu Oct 21, 2004 4:51 pm

kevinod wrote:
I wonder has anyone here tried the bushes? From the how-to on Funky-fto it sounds like it wouldn't drop much, the top of the suspension struts would stop it from falling down altogether? The how-to makes it sound ok, the only tricky bit according to that is getting the arb cup off, and thats because a bolt is in an awkward place.

Hmmm still pretty tempted to give it a go...

Kev.

I was considering myself so I asked Mike at camskill what he thought and he said steer clear as it's a real pain in the ass because unless you can drop the subframe you have to go in over the top of the engine which is really difficult. I took his advice and when I had them changed (by Paul Nolan) he also said you'd be mad to try them as a DIY job.

Mind you someone on here has probably done it themselves - wait a bit and see if anyone else can give first hand feedback :-) Maybe steelroe has done this....
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dave » Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:00 am

and what about the rear ones? are they easy enough?
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby kevinod » Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:11 am

Dave wrote:and what about the rear ones? are they easy enough?

No how-to on funky-fto for that so dunno. Probably worth checking into alright though, if the front ones are worn the back ones are bound to be too.
kevinod

Postby Dave » Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:16 am

well my front ones are ok! :!: just the back ones are all perished! Dave mcCann said he would do them once they were a female dog to fit so i need him to do them cos the test is next friday and i wouldn't have time to get anyone else to do them!
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:35 am

Dave wrote:well my front ones are ok! :!: just the back ones are all perished! Dave mcCann said he would do them once they were a female dog to fit so i need him to do them cos the test is next friday and i wouldn't have time to get anyone else to do them!

If you have the use of a ramp/lift the back antiroll bar bushes should only take you 20 minutes tops - the hardest part is squeezing the clasp back over the new bush and the anti-roll bar and all that needs is some brute force. I did mine while a mechanic was fitting a decat to my GS. Took me less than 20 minutes.
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dave » Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:38 am

well i suppose that's not so bad so! they should be able to handle it!! :shock: they'll be making a couple of quid out of me that day either way!!

they should be able to sort out the steering yeah! it's slightly to the left, and there has been a pull on it for ages now!!
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:41 am

Dave wrote:well i suppose that's not so bad so! they should be able to handle it!! :shock: they'll be making a couple of quid out of me that day either way!!

they should be able to sort out the steering yeah! it's slightly to the left, and there has been a pull on it for ages now!!

Probably cause the alignment/tracking is out - I was suprised at the difference when I got the GR wheel alignment done.
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dave » Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:44 am

yeah she's been a bit sloppy lately!! ah i'll need her sorted soon, with the hairdryer on route now from aussie i can't be all over the shop with that much torque available!! Two weeks we're expecting delivery so another month after that should see her fitted and purring like a cat (be it a big one) again!!
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:47 am

Dave wrote:yeah she's been a bit sloppy lately!! ah i'll need her sorted soon, with the hairdryer on route now from aussie i can't be all over the shop with that much torque available!! Two weeks we're expecting delivery so another month after that should see her fitted and purring like a cat (be it a big one) again!!

sounds really cool - you'll have a seriously unique car then - sorted in looks and sorted in power - all you need after that is the big brakes and coilovers......
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dave » Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:51 am

way ahead of you mate!! :twisted:
over the next year the car will be going through a few modifications, big brakes, coilovers, few other tasty bits from RPW
body work, new paint job (Candy of course), hopefully custom rear bumper, new spoiler, maybe a custom front bumper, blended side skirts.
Lambo doors, and maybe a new set of alloys! haven't decided on that!
looking at that actually, lets just say 18 months!! :shock: and a small win in the lotto!! :wink:
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:56 am

Dave wrote:way ahead of you mate!! :twisted:
over the next year the car will be going through a few modifications, big brakes, coilovers, few other tasty bits from RPW
body work, new paint job (Candy of course), hopefully custom rear bumper, new spoiler, maybe a custom front bumper, blended side skirts.
Lambo doors, and maybe a new set of alloys! haven't decided on that!
looking at that actually, lets just say 18 months!! :shock: and a small win in the lotto!! :wink:

Heh, that's a lot of work - question is, will you still drive it every day after all that work has been done or will you buy something else as a daily driver? Modding cars is a bit like a drug really - I swore I'd leave the golf alone - it was to be my sensible no reason to modify car.... and so far I've already got a set of audi tt gear linkages to shorted the shift, I've orderd some poly torque bushes to reduce engine movement under acceleration, I've ordered some alloy TT pedals and I'm looking at getting the eibach anti-roll bars and springs before I go get the Revo chip....... man this is crazy.
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dave » Fri Oct 22, 2004 10:00 am

don't think i'll be driving her every day, i have the prelude there but that's a bit heavy on juice! but yeah it's not even funny! met a guy there last weekend, DarrenO is his handle on here, he got the paint job and custom rear bumper, and i knew the second i saw it that i would have to go down that route!
my baby will become a show car i think! not going to bother with all the ice and the rest, just a nice head unit but as for the looks and performance that's what counts!!!

i have promised myself though that i'm going to do nothing to the prelude! it's bog standard!! it'll be staying like that!!
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Next

Return to NCT \ MOT