SUVs Jeeps etc - test drove

Discuss other marques here

Moderator: Moderators

SUVs Jeeps etc - test drove

Postby adrian » Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:11 pm

KIND OF looking about for a change for the wee wife for early next year.... but more for me really :wink:

I test drove a KIA Sorento tody and found it very nice. I think they look great. I priced 2004 models here and they are all around the 38k mark... I checked autotrader.co.uk and the revenue.ie site for the VRT and you could put a 2004 Sorento from the UK on the road here for 30k! A saving of 8,000 euro. Have I done something wrong?!?

I also test drove an Isuzu D-Max Cobra ..... I just love the look of them, really really do. Nice enough drive too but it's no s2000

I am keen on this at the moment, any comments?

http://www.compucars.co.uk/vehicle-details.asp?order=&Model=137&Make=&BodyType=&FuelType=&Transmission=&intMax=&intMin=&RSPage=1&ID=37504

Think they look the dogs b*llix. Could put that on the road here for 26k so I dont think you'd loose much over a year or two :wink:
adrian
Super FTO aficionado!
Super FTO aficionado!

Postby kevinod » Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:12 pm

Do you need to pay VAT on cars coming from UK? If so that'll eat up over 6k of that 8k saving... Not sure though, bit hazy on getting cars in from the UK... PTFto should be able to tell ya though?
Steel Silver manual GR (95 C)
kevinod

Postby Mustang » Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:52 pm

Not familiar with this market at all. But here's my 2 cents worth.
Re: cobra D max nice enough in a bling bling, I don't really need a 4x4 or pick-up, kind of way. A bit too showy to be a considered a real work horse.
A friend of mine made the comment recently that with the recent(ish) surge in sales of those 'crew cab' type 4x4's, that in 2 -3 years time the market is likely to be flooded with second hand examples (not nice if you are trying to sell).
Re: Kia Sorrento, I would not pay €38k or even €30k for one. Don't know anything about them -the old sportage is supposed to be awful. Anyway being a kia the depreciation is likely to be vertical.

The Shogun sport is indeed a nice vehicle. I remember travelling at speed (well for a big heavy yoke like that anyway) 90 to 100mph in one through the night travelling across the UK. There were 3 of us in the car and a shed load of (unrestrained!) tools in the back. Glad there was no emergency stops :shock: . As I recall it could really shift, nice leather interior too -pick of the bunch.

As I recall you are only required to pay VAT once in the EU. Therefore bringing in a second hand vehicle from the UK you will only have to pay VRT.
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to Other Cars