Policeman in trouble for using his riot shield as a sledge..

Use this forum to discuss anything and everything non-FTO related

Moderator: Moderators

Policeman in trouble for using his riot shield as a sledge..

Postby Muad_dib77 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:31 pm

I dont normally read the guardian..but this popped up on my google desktop yoke and I had to have a look..

article:http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/jan/14/sledging-police-reprimanded
vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhaozqnZ ... _embedded#

Why aren't allowed to have a bit of fun? Atleast it keeps them out of trouble...

We all know the feeling. The snowy slopes beckon and the urge to hurtle down them takes over but there is no sledge available. So you grab a tea tray, an old bag, a coat — or, if you are a fun-loving police officer, a handy riot shield.

A group of officers from Thames Valley police have been reprimanded after one of their number showed his ability to improvise by using a shield to fly down a hill in Oxfordshire.

Urged on by colleagues he sat on the the riot shield, grabbed on to the handles that could have been designed for this purpose and shot down the hill to hoots of laughter. Unfortunately for the officers, the escapade was filmed by an onlooker and, as is the so often the case these days, was posted on YouTube. The officers' bosses were not amused.

Superintendent Andrew Murray, Oxford city commander, said: "The snow has a habit of bringing out the child in all of us. I have spoken to the officers concerned and reminded them in no uncertain terms that tobogganing on duty, on police equipment and at taxpayers' expense, is a very bad idea should they wish to progress under my command."

The incident happened on Boars Hill in Oxford. The clip shows five or six officers, some also recording the adventure on their own cameras, in the snowy field, a police van parked in the background. One of the officers plonks the shield on the slope and is advised by another to hold on to the handles. He settles himself, holds tight and then two of his pals give him an almighty push.

Squealing, the officer slides off, one of his colleagues advising him: "Whatever happens, keep smiling." The shield proves to be an effective sledge, even skipping over a ditch at the foot of the hill.

Rick Latham, who filmed the 41-second clip on Tuesday afternoon, said he initially thought police were going to tell him off because he was attempting to get down the slope in a kayak. We were just having a laugh, then they pulled up and we thought they were going to give us a hard time.

"Then they asked how slippery the snow was and one of them grabbed the shield. I asked if I could film it and they said that was fine. They said something like: 'We're only human'."

Latham said he was impressed by the officers' behaviour and hopes they were not severely reprimanded. "You don't always build up the most positive image of the police but they broke the mould. They were chatty and pleasant. It was just nice to see them in that situation."
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Tiomáint sé cosúil go bhfuil tú déanach i gcás maise!
Muad_dib77

Re: Policeman in trouble for using his riot shield as a sledge..

Postby paul2508 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:46 pm

thats crazy, getting into that much trouble for what they did, i know its not professional but still.

fair play to them :D
...Me fail english?..Thats unpossible.....
paul2508
FTO-Ireland rules my world
FTO-Ireland rules my world

Return to Off Topic