Advice for negotiating with Car Dealers

Discuss other marques here

Moderator: Moderators

Advice for negotiating with Car Dealers

Postby Kace » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:54 am

OK folks - looking for some practical advice when negotiating a 2nd hand car purchase.

I'm more than likely going to buy another car in the UK given spec levels and would like to get your views on what you guys would normally be asking for when negotiating with dealers in particular.

For example if you were buying a decent machine advertised at 19995 GBP what would you be offering for it and what would you expect dealers to be dropping off the asking price ? In my experience the guys in VAG dealerships won't be interested in budging too much it keen too hear experiences.

Also what else do you go for after cas has been discussed - warranty perhaps? This is probably only worth about 500 off the asking if you didn't take them up on it.

Finally the small things - tank of diesel, mats etc.

Keen to hear people's experiences.
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Re: Advice for negotiating with Car Dealers

Postby goz_83 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:19 am

The auctions might be worth a look too. If buying from a main dealer, the knowledge that you won't be coming back about warranty, or other problems will at best get you 5% off. Cash is king, so you have leverage there. An overall 10-15% off would be my guess, but you could do better, depending on individual dealers. I have no personal experience buying from the UK, but a friend of the old man goes over there every few months and swears value by the auctions. The guy is a twat, but he knows where to get a good price.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:15 pm

Having bought a 6 month old car off a mainland UK dealership last year, I can tell you thats there room for negotiation on price - bit not as much as you might think, you'll struggle to get 10% off @ a £20k asking price - aim for 10% and take 5%. In the end, I got a spare wheel, jack (weren't included) and new mats thrown in. I suggest you pick another UK based car, same model but lower price and use this as a bargaining tool - make sure it exists, they'll check. Research the dealer on the net - find out how others got on etc.
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Kace » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:58 pm

Thanks CJ - good advice re the comparison.

I bet it must have killed him to throw in that jack :wink:
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby gfalls » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:30 pm

Would a warranty obtained on a car bought in the UK, travel over here..?? :?
Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one.
gfalls
My first-born will be christened 'MIVEC'
My first-born will be christened 'MIVEC'

Postby goz_83 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:17 am

Depends on warranty type really. If the manufacturers warranty is in effect, it would travel. Garage warranty wouldn't. Atleast that's how I understand it.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:17 pm

gfalls wrote:Would a warranty obtained on a car bought in the UK, travel over here..?? :?

Manufacturers warranty usually travels, it helps to check in advance. Was discussed here - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12624[/quote]

Kace wrote:I bet it must have killed him to throw in that jack :wink:

Tougher that you think! To be honest, I wasn't too pushed, I was already making a cost saving of 30% compared to buying at home...
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Other Cars