Tyres

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Tyres

Postby Dave » Mon Nov 17, 2003 12:41 pm

got a blow out this morning, well not sure if it was a blow out or if it has been going on longer than today, the whole inside of the tyre is shredded.
got a price on federal z rated, on 225/18/40R's,€670 for a full set
two questions, will these fir without rubbing and is this just too much money for a set of four?
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Mon Nov 17, 2003 12:51 pm

€167 is very expensive for a budget tyre, you can pick a set of 225/40/18 Toyo Proxes T1s from www.mytyres.net for 160 a corner all in.

Hope you wern't going too fast when it happened!

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Mon Nov 17, 2003 1:02 pm

no, lucky enough i wasn't.
yeah it sounded pricey to me, but the only thing about that place is it's in the uk isn't it! i need to get this sorted asap to be honest, one of the fronts is on it's way out as well.
any contacts in dublin area??
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dave » Mon Nov 17, 2003 1:03 pm

just copped they have an irish out let, might get onto these guys!
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dave » Mon Nov 17, 2003 1:06 pm

what search options did you put in??
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dave » Mon Nov 17, 2003 1:17 pm

Foun em,so anyone know if 225/40/18 will fit without rubbing?
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Re: Tyres

Postby Daz » Mon Nov 17, 2003 5:45 pm

Dave wrote:got a blow out this morning, well not sure if it was a blow out or if it has been going on longer than today, the whole inside of the tyre is shredded.
got a price on federal z rated, on 225/18/40R's,€670 for a full set
two questions, will these fir without rubbing and is this just too much money for a set of four?

Thats cheep if going for top quality tyres, i know when i got my first set of 18" tyres 2 years ago i paid just over a grand for them and my last set of 18" for the front which i had to get shipped in from japan as it was urgent cost me 285 a tyre but i was running a 35 profile which hiked up the price a bit. as reguards weather they will fit it depends on how much the car is lowered a 40 profile wouldn't fit on mine as it was lowered a shade too much and would rub just as it reached full lock but if you are already running 18" just go the same size your at now and it shouldn't be a problem
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive, anyway.
18 yrs an owner presently on my 4th a Manual Gpx with twin turbo conversion, in Daytona Blue
Daz
Financially Troubled & Overdrawn!

Postby Dave » Mon Nov 17, 2003 5:52 pm

mine being a GS, it's lowered but not to the same extent as yours. i had no rubbing on the 215/35's but i wanted a bit more rubber for some rim protection.
camskill are selling toyo T1's at £103.50 each.
but Mike in camskill was of the opinion that they "may" catch.
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dave » Tue Nov 18, 2003 1:15 pm

Got a price on these, never heard of them so i reckon they would a pile of crap!
mankang?? €135 a corner, fitted!! anyone know of these?
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Tue Nov 18, 2003 1:42 pm

I think you're talking about Nangkang, stay away from them they are the worst tyres I've ever come across, absolutely no grip in the wet and they're not much better in the dry. Get the Toyos, you won't regret it...

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Tue Nov 18, 2003 1:48 pm

no definitely Mankang, double checked, i rang him back and got some other prices, just to check, and eagle F1s are coming in at €240 a corner! Falcons are coming in at €195 a corner! so if the Toyo T1s are meant to be fairly similar to F1s, i can get a set for €160 a corner, so i reckon these things are crap!!
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Tue Nov 18, 2003 4:23 pm

shane wrote:
Dave wrote:no definitely Mankang, double checked, i rang him back and got some other prices, just to check, and eagle F1s are coming in at €240 a corner! Falcons are coming in at €195 a corner! so if the Toyo T1s are meant to be fairly similar to F1s, i can get a set for €160 a corner, so i reckon these things are s***!!

When I got the GS it had s**t tyres on it and I had a couple of near misses, especially when braking - because there was no ABS the wheels would lock too easy. I changed these for some Toyos and all I can say is WOW!

Toyos are a seriously grippy tyre, wet or dry, and at a very reasonable price!
I've got some firestones on the GR and they aint that bad but not nearly as good as the Toyos in the wet..... I'll be getting some more Toyos as soon as these ones are worn out!
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Tue Nov 18, 2003 4:49 pm

Dave wrote:no definitely Mankang, double checked

I think Mankang are the US branded version of Nankang, either way they're both brutal!

Dave wrote:eagle F1s are coming in at €240 a corner

As I'm sure you know yourself, when you start going up to 18's it starts getting expensive. I called that crowd in Blanch, they quoted €270 a corner for F1's. The guy siad that they sometimes get some goods deals in from Europe but it dosn't happen every day. If I were you, I'd go for the Toyos on mytyres.net, you're going to find it hard to get a better price on 18's.

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:04 pm

yeah just found that out myself, it's amazing how much some places differ in prices.
i can get a set of Toyo's for €160.50 a corner and that's 225/40/18 just holding off until i can found exactly if they will fit, don't want to fork out €642 and get a set that won't fit.
then i'll have to find someone to fit and balance them, that shouldn;t be a problem though!
oh just off the point, the leather is coming along nicely, there was a delay there for a little while but, the back seats are done and dusted, had a look at them last night and they are the mutts!!
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Daz » Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:14 pm

Dave wrote:yeah just found that out myself, it's amazing how much some places differ in prices.
i can get a set of Toyo's for €160.50 a corner and that's 225/40/18 just holding off until i can found exactly if they will fit, don't want to fork out €642 and get a set that won't fit.
then i'll have to find someone to fit and balance them, that shouldn;t be a problem though!
oh just off the point, the leather is coming along nicely, there was a delay there for a little while but, the back seats are done and dusted, had a look at them last night and they are the mutts!!

Leather interiour and 18" wheels, what else are you going to copy from me :lol: :twisted: :lol: seriously thou stay away from the nangkang that are reject yokoharma (spell??? i'm sure you know who i mean) tyres that didn't come up to scratch when being made (a bit like black diamond electrical good being reject mitsubishi electrical parts)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive, anyway.
18 yrs an owner presently on my 4th a Manual Gpx with twin turbo conversion, in Daytona Blue
Daz

Postby Dave » Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:33 pm

Oi, i never even seen your car before i had the majority of the gear done to mine!! :lol:
ah i'm going to go with the Toyo's, everyone on here recommends them so no more to be said.
just as long as the bastards fit i'll be happy.
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Tyres

Postby Eamon » Wed Nov 19, 2003 1:41 pm

Guys,

For what it's worth, I bought my last set of Eagle F1 (gsd3) from McManus tyres in Dundalk. I have just phoned them to get a quote for you guys for 225/40/18s and he's come up with EUR205 per corner fitted.

Hope this helps.
Eamon
Speed freak
Speed freak

Postby Dave » Wed Nov 19, 2003 1:44 pm

Cheers Eamon, i just oredered a set of Toyo T1s last night for €160.50 a corner.
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to FTO Technical