Failed PITS...

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Failed PITS...

Postby illmotion » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:01 am

Hey Guys

I took my car over pits recently to get it licensed but i had some problems and i don't know to much about cars so if you could tell me what i can fix/check myself and how and what i should just take a to a professional to do?

- I have fixed all the lighting/lamp problems and found the engine number.
- Oil is leaking from bolts from the bottom gasket? and from the oil filter
- not sure what wrong with the horn the fuse is not the problem
- Steering Boot best taken to professional and done?
- Second Vin Number is located under this

is there step to take that off carefully? and maybe just go over pits without the brace/strut bar and chuck it back on after it been licensed?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

-Steve
illmotion
Super unleaded
Super unleaded

Re: Failed PITS...

Postby optical illusion » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:59 pm

Leaking from the bolts? Is it the cam shaft seal it's leaking from? Big job that... If it's not too bad you can clean it off with a steam cleaner and put a bit of sealant on the leak to get you by? Dunno how it works over there but mine is leaking for years, no big deal but destroys your engine bay. Massive job to fix that isn't worth it. In Ireland if they can't see it dripping they can't fail you. It can drip down onto your oil filter, so don't assume it is leaking itself. When you change your oil filter put a tiny bit of grease around the circumference to seal it properly.

With the strut mounts I can't imagine you being able to take them off with out removing springs and suspension, but then you can't drive car there?

Good luck!

Laura
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby goz_83 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:16 pm

I got two camshaft seals done when I bought my GPX, but I was getting a full service (cam belt, alt belt and PS belt) and water pump, plugs, oil...the whole lot, so getting the 2 camshaft seals done too was nothing with such a big job. If you can, wait til your getting the Timing belt and water pump done. Personally, i dont like any problems and would get it fixed, but you only have to look at my post history to see how fussy i am.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby colm_mcm » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:39 pm

struts can come off without removing the suspension. the shock top is going nowhere with the cars weight on it.

Steering rack boots probably the toughest job there.
colm_mcm

Postby illmotion » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:21 am

Okay yesterday i jacked up the car changed the oil filter and tighten the bolts at the bottom some of them seem fairly loose especially the oil filter so hopefully that stop the oil leak abit

taken the strut bar off wasn't to hard, all my belts and water pump has been replaced by the previous owner including the starter motor and some other stuff so i am pretty happy about that.

i am temped to fix the steering rack boot myself but it seem like quite a job

Vectose wrote:I did my steering rack boots last week. Took me 30 mins each side.

Heres a guide that may help you: http://www.scribd.com/doc/20770727/MITS ... kerthedull

This is what I did.

I used these boots: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Universal-St ... 415dccf275 and didn't have to remove the outer tie rod ends.

What you do is cut the larger end of the new boot to the same size as that of the original. The small end does not require cutting.

Take the plastic sleeve they come in and place it over the tie rod.

Lube up the entire sleeve and the inside of the boot.

With some force slide the boot over the tie rod.

If you do remove the outer tie rod end then you may have to get a wheel alignment as the tracking may be out.
illmotion
Super unleaded
Super unleaded

Postby illmotion » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:39 pm

More Problems :(

I decided to change my steering wheel following this guide

http://members.optusnet.com.au/jnpoperf ... ering.html

it was all good then find out my the horn contact plate on my "FTO" boss kit is to small compared to the old stock one so it doesn't touch that metal stick behind it so i threw back on my stocks for the time being :(
is there any work arounds for this?

and another problem this one more important in regarding to passing PITS.

From Youtube.com

Back taillight inside RH side (as circled in video) doesn't stay on unless i apply the break
all the other one work fine tho

does anyone know what might be the problem?
illmotion
Super unleaded
Super unleaded

Postby Kace » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:09 pm

First thing to do is to test and / or replace these bulbs. There is often moisture in the fittings so easy to get a short. The bulbs are cheap as chips so buy a few and replace what's there and see if you still have the problem.

Do not go checking anything else or pulling the car apart until you have completed this simple work and checks.
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby illmotion » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:22 pm

Kace wrote:First thing to do is to test and / or replace these bulbs. There is often moisture in the fittings so easy to get a short. The bulbs are cheap as chips so buy a few and replace what's there and see if you still have the problem.

Do not go checking anything else or pulling the car apart until you have completed this simple work and checks.

Thanks i don't have a FTO manual, so any clue on what the that lightbulb would be?

i probably go get some and see what happens before it pass my deadline
illmotion
Super unleaded
Super unleaded

Postby StewyD32 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:40 pm

If you go to the old downloads section here you'll be able to download the manual for free.
Silver 97 Mirage Asti V coupe
Burgundy 95 GR
Silver 95 GPX
StewyD32
Full Throttle Owner!
Full Throttle Owner!

Postby illmotion » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:11 pm

StewyD32 wrote:If you go to the old downloads section here you'll be able to download the manual for free.

that awesome! and their in english! it a miracle :D, still bit confused on the lamp tho only says 21/5 watt i know the front headlines a hb3's doubt the back ones are lol

*edit*..... wow forgot something really stupid.... brake lights have 2 wires in it....... one of them must have blown.... guess i'll just go buy new ones when i find out what they are
illmotion
Super unleaded
Super unleaded

Postby Bernard » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:54 pm

Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby StewyD32 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:58 pm

Just take it out and bring it to the shop and say you want another one. More than likely it's just the bulb. If it was a wire that was pinched it wouldn't come on at all. I think the bulb is a P21/5w

As for your horn. You could weld or even glue on another piece of metal onto the plate to make it bigger so it touchs then pressed.
If not, install a switch on the centre console or to the right dash ( there are false spaces extra switches etc) beside the sheering wheel and wire up the horn to that. I did that to mine on the console. Wheather that is pit passable I don't know, but I had the same problem and I passed when I went for my nct which is your equivilant of the pit.
I can put up a picture of you want.
Silver 97 Mirage Asti V coupe
Burgundy 95 GR
Silver 95 GPX
StewyD32
Full Throttle Owner!
Full Throttle Owner!

Postby illmotion » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:00 pm

:nwor so are you!

thanks haha

@Stewey

please do! that what i was aiming for first but have no clue on how i would go on about that

i love this forum! you guys a more helpful them my own country fto club
illmotion
Super unleaded
Super unleaded

Return to FTO Technical