Close but no cigar

Discuss issues related to the NCT \ MOT

Moderator: Moderators

Close but no cigar

Postby Dragonheart » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:57 pm

Bit of a close one today! Thought my nct was friday and checked my confirmation email at 14.30 this evening to see what time it was on, turned out to be at 15.10 today! No time to prepare, barely time to get to the house, pick up my log book, and boot it to the centre! Feared the worst, no time to give her a good drive to clear the pipes, no time to check levels of fluid or oil, so was expecting a big long list. On top of that the issue with the cambers which had worn the insides of my rear tires, and I reckoned the tracking would be out too. So I was watching them put her through, got a fright when she was on the brake test, it took off from the rollers about 6 foot past them after he applied the brakes, damn, got to be bad. It got a lot of attention from one of the other testers who came over and was looking in the bay, in the inside, all over it, getting in the other fellas way. Anyway, the time came for the result, I prepared myself for the bad news, and he told me.......

"Your tyres on the back are wearing on the inside, come back with new tyres for a visual inspection, everything else is perfect."

Couldnt believe it! Emissions flew through, tracking was spot on unbelievably, handbrake was the only close one, but at least with the visual its free and 2 new tyres wont break the bank! Happy days!
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby colm_mcm » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:55 pm

fair play. I'd say that's a load off your mind.
colm_mcm

Postby Bernard » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:09 pm

Is it the whole tyre that's worn?
The inside of my rear tyres were worn but they said they couldn't fail me.
Apparently they're only allowed to measure 1/4 of an inch from center...
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dragonheart » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:28 pm

No its just the inside, you wouldnt really notice it until the wheels are off the ground. But to be honest I was so relieved when I saw the results that I'd gladly get 2 new tyres for the sake of it! There I was expecting to be translating jap emissions and getting brakes done and tracking and cambers and god knows what else! Plus my suspension was closer to a fail last time but no bother this time. Strange......
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to NCT \ MOT