Roy talks up the Celica

Discuss other marques here

Moderator: Moderators

Postby roykeane » Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:30 pm

While I still drive a 96 Gpx, the car is still for sale to anyone who hasn't got an fto and doesn't mind driving a good clean car with bhp in the 170's.
Please do not adjust your sets
roykeane
Octane king
Octane king

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:56 pm

roykeane wrote:While I still drive a 96 Gpx, the car is still for sale to anyone who hasn't got an fto and doesn't mind driving a good clean car with bhp in the 170's.

Just curious Roy - but how does the FTO compare to the Celica?
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby roykeane » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:33 pm

I am not offering a comparison and if I had believed the celica to be better than the fto I would now be driving one. What I am offering is a genuine car for sale, not in opposition to the fto but a decent car in it's own right.
I fully respect that everyone has a opinion and I am in no way trying to convince anyone of anything. I respect that this is an fto forum and that people are here mainly for that purpose.
Let's not lose sight of the fact that this appeared under the FOR SALE banner and while debate is welcome, it does not really apply in this instance.
roykeane
Octane king
Octane king

Postby ronbyrne » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:06 am

roykeane wrote:I am not offering a comparison and if I had believed the celica to be better than the fto I would now be driving one. What I am offering is a genuine car for sale, not in opposition to the fto but a decent car in it's own right.
I fully respect that everyone has a opinion and I am in no way trying to convince anyone of anything. I respect that this is an fto forum and that people are here mainly for that purpose.
Let's not lose sight of the fact that this appeared under the FOR SALE banner and while debate is welcome, it does not really apply in this instance.

SO IS THE FTO BETTER OR WHAT ?

Just kiddin i know where your coming from, any of the fto guys can talk their mates into buying a realy good Celica, then beat them :lol:
ronbyrne

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:23 am

roykeane wrote:I am not offering a comparison and if I had believed the celica to be better than the fto I would now be driving one..........

.......Let's not lose sight of the fact that this appeared under the FOR SALE banner and while debate is welcome, it does not really apply in this instance.

Topic moved - Roy, I'm actually just interested in knowing how an 96 Celica compares to an 96 FTO - thats all! I don't deny the Celica is a decent car - I quite like them myself - its just you seem to be in a position to give the good and bad points of both models - after-all, this is a discussion forum (even the "for sale" section believe it or not).
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby roykeane » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:33 am

Myfto, if you want to compare then do the research. I offered the car for sale not as a debating topic. Your abusing your position/power by movimg things around to suit you. Did you ask me or anyone else could it be moved??
roykeane
Octane king
Octane king

Postby Dave » Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:51 am

someone is a little high strung me thinks!! :roll:
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:37 am

roykeane wrote:Your abusing your position/power by movimg things around to suit you. Did you ask me or anyone else could it be moved??

Roy, MfFTO is not abusing his position, as a site moderator, he can decide to move, edit or delete posts as he deems necessary. As an appointed mod, he doesn't need to ask you, me or anyone else how a topic should be managed. I support that fact that he correctly split the thead - it was wandering off-topic. As far as I can see MfFTOs interest in the Celica vs. FTO debate was genuine, if you don't want to further the discussion then leave it at that.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby roykeane » Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:18 pm

CJ, I have absolutely no problem with an item being moved to a correct position. What I do object to is the high handed manner in the approach. That to me is an abuse of power/position. I posted an item for sale, simply. That in my plain view should have been that. Why, when you put up a different car to the fto does that mean you are a target for inane comments like "Why would you buy a celica if you have an fto?" Let's be realistic here 'debate' is not a cover for non sensible statements.
I didn't at any point offer to make comparisons between any set of cars. I simply put a car for sale in the wrong place (or so I am told). Thanks anyway
roykeane
Octane king
Octane king

Postby roykeane » Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:21 pm

gfalls, i just pm'd you
roykeane
Octane king
Octane king

Postby soc » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:57 pm

I'm not sure how we got from MfFTO's question about the differences between a Celica and an FTO to an arguement but I think we should drop this one now to prevent someone having to lock the topic.
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby roykeane » Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:40 am

Husband and wife are coming up to their 30th wedding anniversary. Wife asks " where are you taking me for our anniversary?". Husbands replies "I was thinking about Spain!". "Lovely", says the wife, "what are you going to do for our fortieth?" Husband replies "Go back and collect you"!!!!!!!.

Soc, gladly go along with what you mention and the poor attempt at humour is my 'break the ice' offering. Thanks for all the input guys/gals
roykeane
Octane king
Octane king

Postby mr.bishi » Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:56 am

Well.....the Celica is a very capable car and the 177bhp option will run qtrs in the mid 15's so it's not much slower than the fto.
Toyota reliability is second to none coming with virtually bomb proof engines and boxes and they aren't exactly ugly (although not as pretty as the fto) I actually prefer the looks of the st18* models rather than the later st20* that roy is selling.And of course you get the GT4 options with the tunable 3S-GTE engines for a bit of rally slag action.

I've owned 5 different Celica models ranging from a '74 imported gen 1 (TA23) to an MA61 2.8 Celica/Supra to an ST182 gen 5 and have loved them all but prefered them when they were RWD.
It's only by luck/timing that i stumbled on the fto when i was really looking for an st205 gt4.

I hope this answers a few of your questions peeps :D
mr.bishi
Unleaded
Unleaded

Postby soc » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:42 am

roykeane wrote:Husband and wife are coming up to their 30th wedding anniversary. Wife asks " where are you taking me for our anniversary?". Husbands replies "I was thinking about Spain!". "Lovely", says the wife, "what are you going to do for our fortieth?" Husband replies "Go back and collect

I wonder what the reception would be if someone said this at home for a joke.... I know I'm no brave enough :wink:
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:44 am

mr.bishi wrote: I actually prefer the looks of the st18* models rather than the later st20* that roy is selling.

With the right set of wheels (nice wide 18's are a must) and a touch of lowering I think the st20 looks pretty sweet ;)
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to Other Cars