NCT - I have to change a cat again!!!!!

Discuss issues related to the NCT \ MOT

Moderator: Moderators

NCT - I have to change a cat again!!!!!

Postby mcgon1979 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:50 pm

Did the test in June. I had to throw in the CAT for this and remove my Miltek decat box.
Car went through but failed on a track rod end.
No problem. at least the emmisions are done so I can swap the decat back into the car, and get the track rod retested.
I did that. It passed. YAY. BUT......
I only got 3 months!?! cause my car was registered in oct 1999 apparently. so I got 3 months. after spending 78 euro.
they should just give you 24months from the time of the pass date, not this registration anniversary sh1te. I was pretty annoyed!!!!!
Decided to do it again Asap! your allowed to do it within 3 months of the expiry so I decided to do it straight away and try and get 26 or 27 months till expiry etc.
booked it in. took a cancellation. changed the CAT back into it (zzzzzzzzzz) and went down today.
It went through everything but FAILED on emmisions. Thats 130euro on this not including the track rod end and the hassle. ah FFS. The CO level was too high. you are allowed 0.3 mine was 0.4. everything else in emmisions was fine. I was really annoyed, so got the old pass sheet from july and went back in. told him I wanted to query this. I have only done 2000km since emmisions passed. Car is fine. your equiopment is off. he agreed to look at it in a minute. 5mins later the head guy said he would test it again on the other test appartus and thats all he could do really. I thanked him and said that would do.
when the guy was sitting in the car waiting to drive in, I aksed him to make sure he gave it plenty of revs. I was guesing the ECU had not adjusted yet as I had just put cat in about 1 hour ago. etc.
he said he would do his best for me (nice chap). said they test it for 10 seconds on high revs, and if it does not come in they will give it 3mins at high rrevs. if it falls within guidelines for 10 seconds in a row during those 3 mins they will let it pass. he did it for 5mins it seemed. went to the office came back with my cert. said it came in. CO was no 0.1. the only difference I can see on the two sheets is the engine temperature was 84C first time and 99C second time, so its old but true, make sure your car and cat are PIPING hot!!!!! the problem is I had warmed it up and went in and handed in keys as you have to, but it was 15 mins before someone actually came out to take the car in. it had cooled somewhat. anyway. maybe have a second key and have the car left running. it seems to make a huge difference. delighted I went back in and challeneged him anyway. they were really sound out about it and I could not ask more than for them to try it again on the other machine. as they said, maybe a sensor failed on my car in the past month. hmm..
anyway. I have the cert now till 10-11. sweet. thats the end of that for a while. :nwor thank god.
Ma olen kaine!
mcgon1979
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Re: NCT - I have to change a cat again!!!!!

Postby Bernard » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:15 am

mcgon1979 wrote:the only difference I can see on the two sheets is the engine temperature was 84C first time and 99C second time, so its old but true, make sure your car and cat are PIPING hot!!!!!

I passed at 69°, got a CO level of 0.11 low and 0.28 high...
I'd say different centres might have their equipment calibrated differently :?:
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CJ » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:40 am

mcgon1979 wrote:maybe have a second key and have the car left running

This is good advice, I always sit in the car with the engine running while waiting for the tester to bring the car around. Nothing gets an engine hot like idling on the spot!

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Kace » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:45 pm

I would also have reset the ECU after replacing the CAT (any any major component related to the exhaust), just so that it can re-learn the best possible setup.

Anyway - you got it through.
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby mcgon1979 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:40 pm

just checked the sheet again. the CO level was 0.4 at 84degrees and was 0.07 on second try at 99 degrees.
everything else was the same, lamda and hydro carbs etc.
anyway, its done now. 8) that''ll be end of that for a while. 130euros for 2 years of keeping the gaurds off your back
Ma olen kaine!
mcgon1979
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Return to NCT \ MOT