Rear Brake Imbalance

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Rear Brake Imbalance

Postby Aido C » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:58 pm

Had my NCT this morning. The car failed on rear break imbalance, front side lights.

What causes rear brake imbalance? Do I need to replace the caliper?
Aido C
Have you seen my FTO tattoo?

Re: Rear Brake Imbalance

Postby CJ » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:06 pm

I'd say the caliper seal is gone, you can recondition or replace, probably easier to go with the latter option.
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Aido C » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:29 pm

Got a caliper off Gerry today. It's fitted and all now. Hopefully that will get me throught the NCT now.
Aido C

Postby MY-JAP-MISTRESS » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:40 am

mine failed mot the other week for the same reason. got a guy to take it off and have a look at it. didnt do anything else and it passed so im guessin it was a pass in the 1st place and they just wanted the money for a retest or had maybe passed to many cars that week. its a total joke
MY-JAP-MISTRESS
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby StewyD32 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:41 pm

MY-JAP-MISTRESS wrote:its a total joke

What you said is totally true.

It basically comes down to the tester you get. When I have mine the 5 car in front of me were in and out in 10-15 minutes but when I came to mine they had it for 35 minutes checking every nuck and cranny. (but still passed :r ).

Having a pre test is a scam and a waste of money. My girlfriend went for one and they said there were a few things it would fail and and would cost €678. I put it through and it passed.

Another issue is when you fail on something and go back for the re test. They only check on what failed. What happens if you do some damage to the car when your waiting for the re test....... They pass an un road worthy car!!!!

Also anyone remeber the prime time where they were accepting bribes a few months ago. Lol
Silver 97 Mirage Asti V coupe
Burgundy 95 GR
Silver 95 GPX
StewyD32
Full Throttle Owner!
Full Throttle Owner!

Postby Aido C » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:24 am

MY-JAP-MISTRESS wrote:mine failed mot the other week for the same reason. got a guy to take it off and have a look at it. didnt do anything else and it passed so im guessin it was a pass in the 1st place and they just wanted the money for a retest or had maybe passed to many cars that week. its a total joke

Yea, the caliper I took off looked fine. The seal looked good and the piston was moving freely.
Aido C

Return to FTO Technical