very hesitant acceleration

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Re: very hesitant acceleration

Postby ebrewer89 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:23 pm

just tryed with a 9v battery and the relay clicks so shud i rule this out?
ebrewer89
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby ebrewer89 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:27 pm

have tested the relay with a 9v battery and it clicks fine so should i rule this out?
ebrewer89
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby ebrewer89 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:02 pm

just tryed putting the relay back in and if you hold it just touching the connector block it clicks on,i found with a few times doing that that the pump whirred into life for a split second but off again not long enough to prime jst like it got a connection for a second. when i fully connect the relay i get nothing tho?pls help
ebrewer89
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby brccrx » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:18 pm

U have to connect the power to make it click and test the other pins that apply the power to the pump does they have connection when the relay click then U can rule it out if ya get me :)

Look heres what U have to do step by step:

Disconnect the relay from block connector
With keys to OFF position test the block connector with volt meter, some of the pins should have the 12v even doe the ignition is off
Write down what pins have 12v
Turn the key to ON
Test the block connector again and write down which pins get 12v when the key to ON position

Now if there no 12v on the connector when keys off position the fuse is blown?
If there no 12v supplied to more pins when key to on position ECU reads something wrong or ECU has problem (could be wiring from ignition barrel to!)

Can U try to flash the fault codes?
Only one ever build 1.3 turbo Fto, 0.7 bar on stock internals...because your imagination is the only boundary :)
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Postby ebrewer89 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:32 pm

have checked voltage readings there and they all seem fine, the pins not showing voltage do when ignition is on.diagnostics read nothing wrong.if i plug the relay back in and check the plug at the pump for voltage this should show me a fault with the relay no?it seems strange tho that the relay still clicks and the pump worked for a second when fiddling with the relay and now im geting nothing from the pump again
ebrewer89
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby brccrx » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:41 pm

I'll test mine later this evening and tell ya what pins and key position get 12v, best i can do atm!
Only one ever build 1.3 turbo Fto, 0.7 bar on stock internals...because your imagination is the only boundary :)
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Postby ebrewer89 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:45 pm

thanks,much appreciated :D
ebrewer89
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby brccrx » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:27 pm

Key in ACC:

Them two have 12v:

Key in ON

This other pin get powered:

Is Yours the same now?
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Postby ebrewer89 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:56 pm

Yes :D :D least that's something haha
ebrewer89
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby ebrewer89 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:18 pm

im hoping this means it can only be the relay that is causing problems how can i test this just to make sure?can i fire my pump direct on a switch or is this a stupid idea?
ebrewer89
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby brccrx » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:54 pm

Right so it would be ideal if U could try another relay before buying it tbh, any scrap yards around U that breaking FTO maybe?
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Postby ebrewer89 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:06 pm

no not anywere round ere.think mit buy the one on ebay thats for sale before its gone as its the last thing i think it could be..cant find any info on how to test an 8 pin relay?
ebrewer89
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby brccrx » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:11 pm

ebrewer89 wrote:im hoping this means it can only be the relay that is causing problems how can i test this just to make sure?can i fire my pump direct on a switch or is this a stupid idea?

No ive seen it done, icnt the ideal idea but would get U out the trouble.

U still need to do it with relay anyway so less wires and no mess if U'll fix the problem lad.

Next step i'll test the pins with the relay on so i will be able to tell U where the voltage goes, so far it looks like Your relay is the problem but as ive said i would test another one first to make sure U wont have a spare part lying in the shed with no further plans to it lol

The info how to test it is my post with pictures :)

Just wait till i'll test mine this might point more light on the subject!
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Postby ebrewer89 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:21 pm

yeas might have to do that yet haha.i ment how to test the relay itself as it seems to be getting power from the plug,tested that thanks to you pics :D just need to no if the relay is letting the power out again and what pins on the relay itself do what.can i power the relay with a 9v battery and check the other pins for continuity that way?
ebrewer89
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby brccrx » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:29 pm

ebrewer89 wrote:yeas might have to do that yet haha.i ment how to test the relay itself as it seems to be getting power from the plug,tested that thanks to you pics :D just need to no if the relay is letting the power out again and what pins on the relay itself do what.can i power the relay with a 9v battery and check the other pins for continuity that way?

Just be patient please :) Im doing my best between my 2 years old boy, my dinner, white asti suspension overhaul and the FTO fuel pump relay :mrgreen:

The yellow arrows shows the plug ground points:

I'll do some pics how to test the relay in the mean time, just check this tread time to time or thick notify me when a reply is posted box, its just bellow the text pole when typing reply!
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Postby brccrx » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:13 pm

Remove the metal cover and look for obvious signs that the relay is faulty, look closely at all the solders!!!
There 2 relays inside.

At right side of the relay on this picture there 2 connector plates that make the "click" when U push them gently:

Now fit the relay back to the car with no metal cover on it and turn the key to on, does it click? no ?
Tap gently all the solders with something non metal, works when U tap any? No?
Touch gently the connector plates to make the fuel pump work! The other relay is for starter (have no clue witch one just press each at the time and listen for the pump buzzing in the tank)
Last edited by brccrx on Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Postby Kace » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:14 pm

ebrewer89 wrote:no not anywere round ere.think mit buy the one on ebay thats for sale before its gone as its the last thing i think it could be..cant find any info on how to test an 8 pin relay?

You might try this guy - he's in your neck of woods and is listed as breaking an FTO

http://www.partfinder.ie/cgi-bin/scripts/display_dealer_info.pl?ID=565
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby ebrewer89 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:29 pm

thanks for your patience im just a little anxious to get it running again :D just taken relay out of case and plugged it in,when i turn ignition one side of the relay connects and stays connected even when turn the ignition off again.the other side does nothing when i push it to connect.im confused.no sound from the pump whatsoever :x
ebrewer89
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby brccrx » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:01 pm

ebrewer89 wrote:thanks for your patience im just a little anxious to get it running again :D just taken relay out of case and plugged it in,when i turn ignition one side of the relay connects and stays connected even when turn the ignition off again.the other side does nothing when i push it to connect.im confused.no sound from the pump whatsoever :x

It does exactly what mine does except i can hear the pump in the tank, it stays connect for about 5-6 seconds more after the key turned to lock (off)

I'll go and check how the other one act!
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Postby ebrewer89 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:15 pm

strange..im guessing the side that connects on ignition is the side for the pump.it seems then that the relay is working and my problem is after the relay?
ebrewer89
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby brccrx » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:24 pm

More news for ya :)

Both of em clicks when key turned on!

The one on the left stays connected, the right one clicks back when key turned to off!

Does the car crank?
If so then the one that stay connected its the starter one the right one is the fuel pump one most likely, i will place something under the connector plates and see witch one will turn the fuel pump on :mrgreen:
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Postby ebrewer89 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:33 pm

ah nice.yes car will crank but pump will not engage when i press the other connector
ebrewer89
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby brccrx » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:48 pm

Well i jammed the one on the left and the other one didnt click at all so it looks like they some way looped together!
Did U check it visually, are the solder points fine?

I think first thing to check is the relay itself tbh and best if U could swap it with another fully working one!

Ive tried to bench test it but had only a few minutes for it so didnt get to far with it :)
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Postby ebrewer89 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:56 pm

visually it looks fine but yes will see if i can get hold of one and see what happens then,thanks very much for all you help so far :D
ebrewer89
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby brccrx » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:28 pm

You're welcome!
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

PreviousNext

Return to FTO Technical