Thinking of selling the S2000...and good news!

Discuss other marques here

Moderator: Moderators

Thinking of selling the S2000...and good news!

Postby adrian » Mon May 15, 2006 8:02 pm

Hi all,

Well, to share my good news with you all.....I am going to be a Dad for the 1st time. My lady wife is due in November! We have the pimped up Hilux Vigo (http://www.carwatch.ie/hilux/jeep1.jpg) on the way this week which will be our 4 door motor with loads of room so no problem there.

But, I am really thinking that I may not get the use out of the S2000 that I do at the moment. We go EVERYWHERE in it and get roof-down driving whenever possible. But, with 2 seats...will it work for a new parent?!

I will try to keep it for a while, but I am not sure if it's the right thing to do as it may be a waste. I take it to work, but that's 10MPH average and I never get VTECing it. I am thinking along the lines of (importing from the UK):

2000/2001 CLK 230 cabrio as I would LOVE to keep a convertible and this one has 4 seats.
2000/2001 Audi A4 Cabrio

I am also thinking, forget the cabrio, drop a few years and release some money from the car so....

Mitsi 3000GT
1990 Porsche 944
Mazda RX-7 (if it has 4 seats.....CJ??)
Another FTO??

Can you please give me suggestions for 2 the categories above?! As I say, I will try to keep the S2000 but it's a serious motor for serious driving and may be wasted on work-only runs. I have the jeep for 4 doors, maybe that's enough? Have any of you folk experience of one 4 door car and one non-sensible motor?

A
adrian
Super FTO aficionado!
Super FTO aficionado!

Postby CJ » Mon May 15, 2006 8:19 pm

Many congratulations to you both Adrian :smt023

On the car front, I'd be inclined towards the A4 before the CLK in your first list, its personal preference really. The Rex is a 2+2 with about half the rear seat room of the FTO, while you'd get 2 small kids in there, I doubt a baby seat would fit.

If you want my advice, get yourself a later model manual GPX - theres plenty of power there for spirited driving and you can get kids, baby seats and the odd short @rse in the back ;)

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby adrian » Mon May 15, 2006 9:28 pm

Cheers mate. I am also thinking of a 2002 Honda Integra DC5, love them. A BMW 2002 318 Cabrio would be on the list too but I am not REALLy a fan. If I get the CLK I would get AMG alloys, making it look the biz. To be honest, a CLK is top at the moment... but maybe a bit settled for me??

The RX-7 is a monster, and I would just love one but I would also have the technical worries that most people have.
adrian
Super FTO aficionado!
Super FTO aficionado!

Postby pergau » Tue May 16, 2006 11:48 am

Congrats Adrain,

I got my FTO from someone who was just about to become a dad so, perhaps it's a part of the circle of life.

My feeling on the cars is to go for the Audi but that's because I hate Mercs. I don't know what the newer Soft tops are like but the old ones used to be a bit draughty and I don't know if that would be good for a baby!

Also CJ, if you're reading this skip to the next paragraph, The RX7 seems to be a bit too delicate to be the main car.

Hi CJ.
pergau
Nothing comes between me and my FTO
Nothing comes between me and my FTO

Postby IrishPhoenix » Tue May 16, 2006 12:27 pm

My bro became a dad in February and exchanged his BMW 318is for a CLK 240 (2.6 litre). It's a lovely machine (02) with plenty of room for the baby seat in the back and for adults too. I'd recommend it and if your worried for it looking too sensible stick some nice 18's on it etc.
You know, somebody actually complimented me on my driving today. They left a little note on the windscreen, it said 'Parking Fine'.
- Tommy Cooper
IrishPhoenix
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby CJ » Tue May 16, 2006 12:34 pm

pergau wrote:Also CJ, if you're reading this skip to the next paragraph, The RX7 seems to be a bit too delicate to be the main car.

Hi CJ.

I'm not sutre I understand you pergau :? There are plenty of people using RX-7s as daily drivers, as long as you stick to the service schedule, the car is pretty reliable. Getting back on topic, the back of a Rex isn't ideal for babies or kids, its way too cramped back there...

Adrian, you should consider limiting down your options early on, it will be easier to make a decision when the time comes. Take 3 cars max, do your research and compare the pros and cons...

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Colin C » Tue May 16, 2006 2:25 pm

Congrats on the baby. :smt023
I've a 7 month old & I have to say the FTO was usless for the first 6 months if I wanted to bring her anywhere. There was no problem getting the baby seat (rear facing) in the front as there's no airbag & it would only fit in the back if the front seat was almost through the windscreen. Also it meant my wife had to travel in the back which is a bit of a squash. Also access to the boot was too tight to fit the buggy etc. so we ended up just taking the wifes Octavia most places.
However once she turned 6 months I picked up a little stick buggy for 50 yoyo's and you wouldn't see it in the boot. Also she is now in one of the forward facing car seats which fits nicely in the back.
Personally If I was changing i'ld go for something along the lines of an Audi S4. I think I'ld compromise the convertable for the performance. Although I have to say I am also a fan of Mercs. Appart from the running cost being so high I'ld be tempted towards a E55AMG. There's one on carzone at the minute. As far as I can remember its a 00 & is approx 30K Euro.
Well best of luck with the car & the bambino.
Steel Silver GPX Manual.
Colin C
Speed freak
Speed freak

Postby Kace » Tue May 16, 2006 5:35 pm

Colin C wrote:...I have to say the FTO was usless for the first 6 months if I wanted to bring her anywhere. There was no problem getting the baby seat (rear facing) in the front as there's no airbag & it would only fit in the back if the front seat was almost through the windscreen. Also it meant my wife had to travel in the back which is a bit of a squash. Also access to the boot was too tight to fit the buggy etc.

No such problems on my side with FTO and baby. We have a 7 month old as well and a rear facing seat that fits in either front or back. When wife and I are in the car baba goes in the back (alone, as she's normally asleep in about 5 minutes anyway) - when there's just one of us baba goes in the front. We didn't buy a monster 3 wheeler buggy so all fits nicely in the boot along with all the gear bags.

Only thing I can't manage at present is 2 adults + baba + full set of golf sticks :(

I'm actually half thinking about buying a roof box for weekend trips - I already have Thule roof bars for the FTO.

Babas and FTOs aren't that bad really
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby adrian » Tue May 16, 2006 7:18 pm

Thanks for all the replies.... it's got me thinking anyway! Will TRY and hold out with my 2 seater..... but I'm, always looking :wink:
adrian
Super FTO aficionado!
Super FTO aficionado!

Postby soc » Thu May 18, 2006 8:47 pm

I'd go along with the S4 idea - there were some for sale recently between 16k and 20k. 2.7, bi-turbo, 265bhp, 4 doors, understated looks and bomb-proof build.

Other left-field options I'd consider are:

mk5 gti is a very good car. Fast, great handling and plenty of room for a baby

mk1 audi tt - room for a baby or small child, 4wd, 225bhp, immense grip, sweet interior

The one I'd definitely stay away from is the 318 cab - it's soo slow and is nothing special inside - vastly over priced and although a sweet looking car it has a bit of a poncy stereotype (NOI to anyone)
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to Other Cars