Bye Bye money! Hello new suspension?

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Bye Bye money! Hello new suspension?

Postby the real technikhaus » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:51 am

Hey Guys!

So it's taken me a while to sign up on here...but here I am!
My name is Nick Borich (you may have seen me on facey page), and I'm an admin on the FTO New Zealand site :nwor
I'll post an introduction later on but firstly wanting some advice!

This is simply copy and pasted from NZ site so please just ask If you want to clarify on something!

So went in for a WoF (Warrant of fitness) today! Was really good, got 20c off per litre for that and 4 cents off when I bought new Oil, Filter, Petrol Injector cleaner, and Antifreeze coolant! So like 24 cents off a litre Oh and petrol prices have dropped! YAY

But anyway... money is only half of the topic of interest. The main part is the WoF and its requirements (BTW, every time I go and get a WoF I get complimented on the car:D I Love it!... Wow... I'm getting off topic...)

Anyway. Thankfully had a really nice guy who passed the car, and pointed out moisture around the front passenger shock absorber. He said that before the next WoF it will need to be replaced. So I thought... maybe its time to do a full suspension kit upgrade? I don't necessarily want to lower the car... yet. So adjustable's are looking promising so that I can lower it now, but lift it back up when I get the body kit and new rims as well as many other benefits

However, they come with a huge price and the need for a Cert Plate...

Anyone have any recommendations or comments about this? I've seen a fully adjustable kit for around $1k not including shipping and a Tien Racing kit for around 1.5k not Incl. Shipping.
Dont really have that much...I mean, for that I can have body kit!!!

So that's the delio...
Oh and I need to reseal my foggie pods Had a bit of water in them... hopefully will be sanding the inside to remove the vertical lines making it clear!

Nick.
the real technikhaus
Unleaded
Unleaded

Re: Bye Bye money! Hello new suspension?

Postby Kace » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:50 am

Welcome ! Recommendation, buy a secondhand shock for peanuts an install. You would be mad to sink a grand into the car for new adjustable shocks.
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Kace » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:36 am

the real technikhaus wrote:Hey Guys!

So that's the delio...
Oh and I need to reseal my foggie pods Had a bit of water in them... hopefully will be sanding the inside to remove the vertical lines making it clear!

Nick.

By the way - you don't need to be sealing up your front fogs in order to get rid of the moisture, you need to drill holes in the housing to let the moisture escape.
Although if you have done it properly and expelled all of the moisture before resealing it may work for you - I wouldn't bet on it though.
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby StewyD32 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:49 pm

Kace wrote:Welcome ! Recommendation, buy a secondhand shock for peanuts an install. You would be mad to sink a grand into the car for new adjustable shocks.

:whs

And welcome to the club. :P
Silver 97 Mirage Asti V coupe
Burgundy 95 GR
Silver 95 GPX
StewyD32
Full Throttle Owner!
Full Throttle Owner!

Postby Bernard » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:34 pm

Did you have a problem logging in on the "technikhaus" account or was that not you?
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby the real technikhaus » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:03 am

Thanks for the response guys!

Firstly no, that's not me. That would be Braydon. We're close friends and we have nearly identical FTO's:) we both own technikhaus and since we both can't have the same username I got a little creative!

Drilling the pods seems like the fast fix option. Since I want to clear the glass anyway I may as well bake them an reseal after polishing and possible painting...? It also means I don't have to have a hole in my light!

Also that 1k is in New Zealand dollars. So about 600-700 GBP.
It's something I will do eventually, it's whether it's worth it now or later... Then plans is, an ill go into more detail in my intro post but, once the car is no longer my daily driver- it will become a show/track car. I also plan to see some track action soon too!

Installation will be done by myself so there won't be any labour costs. Also you guys will benefit too as whatever path we take, we will be uploading a detailed video guide to our collection!

Any ideas on brands? Preferably looking for a kit so I don't have to worry comparability issues.

Cheers and apologies for any mistakes, I'm on my phone:P
Nick.
the real technikhaus
Unleaded
Unleaded

Postby Bernard » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:34 am

the real technikhaus wrote: Also that 1k is in New Zealand dollars. So about 600-700 GBP.

Not even that, £500 or €600.

the real technikhaus wrote: Any ideas on brands? Preferably looking for a kit so I don't have to worry comparability issues.

I have Tein coilovers on mine.
To be honest, if they weren't there when I bought the car I wouldn't have fitted them.
I'm all in favour of lowering (the car is on stilts as standard) but unless you're driving on very good road the coilovers are just too hard.
If I was you I'd just stick a set of lowering springs in there (Apex are popular) and be done with it.
Having said all that, if you plan on using it as a track/show car then Tein might be an option.
Check Camskill for prices.
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby the real technikhaus » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:38 am

Thanks guys!

Yea, everyone seems to agree just to go lowered. So looks like I will mostly being getting a new shock (Says front strut in the test paper) and may as well get a set of lowering springs while I'm at it. Problem is that I cant go too low as will be getting 18inch rims soon and don't want too much problems... :shock:
the real technikhaus
Unleaded
Unleaded

Postby goz_83 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:37 am

If you're sporting 18's, you will definitely need to be running on low profiles, or will need to roll the arches. I have 17's on mine with Apex springs and sometimes, when im turning left onto a sidewalk ramp, I can hear the tyre rub the arch for a second. It's the combination of speed, ramp angle, turning angle and my own body weight causing the the arch to shift low enough to rub. It doesn't happen on the left, because my own weight (100k) makes enough of a difference. I'm not on low profiles either.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby the real technikhaus » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:04 am

Yea I am prepared to roll my guards... although will be adding a wide arch kit at some point!
Wrapping the rims will be Bridgestone Potenza Adrenalin RE002's which I believe are around 35-30 in hight :)
the real technikhaus
Unleaded
Unleaded

Postby the real technikhaus » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:20 pm

Found a great deal on Eibach springs on Camskill: http://www.camskill.co.uk/m3b0s584p1540/EIBACH_SUSPENSION_EIBACH_SPRINGS_-_Eibach_Spring_Kit_-_ALL_FTO

Seems to me to be a good kit at a good price? Thoughts, I'm quite tempted... I still have to get the front dampers though :/
the real technikhaus
Unleaded
Unleaded

Postby Kace » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:00 am

So Technik - has the FTO New Zealand site been wound up. Tried the URL and am currently visiting Waiheke, so wanted to see what was going on ?
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby StewyD32 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:27 am

Kace wrote:So Technik - has the FTO New Zealand site been wound up. Tried the URL and am currently visiting Waiheke, so wanted to see what was going on ?

When I was with Braydon last 2 weeks ago he was talking about the site and never said anything about it being wound up.
Although he said the site is pretty quiet.

So how many FTOs did you see so far Kace. its like FTO heaven here for me.
Burgundy 95 GR
Silver 95 GPX
StewyD32
Full Throttle Owner!
Full Throttle Owner!

Postby StewyD32 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:28 am

Kace wrote:So Technik - has the FTO New Zealand site been wound up. Tried the URL and am currently visiting Waiheke, so wanted to see what was going on ?

When I was with Braydon last 2 weeks ago he was talking about the site and never said anything about it being wound up.
Although he said the site is pretty quiet.

So how many FTOs did you see so far Kace. its like FTO heaven here for me.
Burgundy 95 GR
Silver 95 GPX
StewyD32
Full Throttle Owner!
Full Throttle Owner!

Postby Kace » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:50 am

The NZ site does indeed seem to be gone.

FTO count on my travels so far has been as follows :

- Melbourne : zero
- Auckland : 1 silver
- Waiheke Island : 1 silver

I'm not doing a lot of miles at present though - too busy kicking back on the beach and showing the locals a bit of my hurling skills ;-)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby goz_83 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:53 pm

Hurling where? Into the toilet after too many exotic beverages? Lucky besterd. I wont be hurling anything. didnt touch any booze yesterday.

Dublin weather = sunny, but deceptively cold.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby StewyD32 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:51 am

Well you won't find any at the beach,
Im in Auckland now about 9 hours and seem 3.

Braydon might be able to confirm if the site is gone or not
Burgundy 95 GR
Silver 95 GPX
StewyD32
Full Throttle Owner!
Full Throttle Owner!

Postby the real technikhaus » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:46 am

Again sorry for the bump, just going through some posts I haven't seen since I last posted.

The site has been down since December. I'll write up a big story explaining why etc shortly. Working our hardest on getting it back up ASAP, have a secret for the relaunch so make sure when it is back up you check it out!

Also realised I didnt update this thread, well I bought the springs and have now got them in! Loving the ride quality and the height is just perfect once you fill the gap with some bigger rims!
the real technikhaus
Unleaded
Unleaded

Return to FTO Technical