Tappet cleaning on a GR

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Tappet cleaning on a GR

Postby Viper » Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:55 am

Has anyone here ever tried this to clear up the rattly tappet problems, and if so does it work? Was in a garage a few weeks back and the guy there said it was a easy enough job to do it and that it would definetly stop the noise. However all the recommentations seem to be to replace them/live with them.
Viper
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby steelroe » Tue Jun 29, 2004 2:10 pm

GR Tappets cannot be adjusted, if they are noisy you ned to replace them (expensive) or live with the noise. What a lot of owners do is to use a slightlky thicker oil. I do not think cleaning them will do anything, could be wrong though.
steelroe
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Tue Jun 29, 2004 7:04 pm

steelroe wrote:GR Tappets cannot be adjusted, if they are noisy you ned to replace them (expensive) or live with the noise. What a lot of owners do is to use a slightlky thicker oil. I do not think cleaning them will do anything, could be wrong though.

Apparently one or 2 english owners have tried cleaning them which has helped somewhat. I was considering doing this but Paul Nolan told me it was a much bigger job than people say - he said the tappets were pretty hard to get out and if you were going to go to all that trouble you should just replace them. I didn't bother cause mine hardly happens - only when I'm due an oil change and if the car has been left standing for a while (over 24 hours). And at that it only lasts about 30secs to 1 minute.

Best bet is to try do an engine flush and try using a thicker grade oil with forte top end treatment - this made my car sound really smooth - even Paul though the car sounded sweet......
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Viper » Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:08 am

I recently got some Top End Treatment and it sure does work a treat, just figured that seeing as all the stuff does is clean them, maybe actually getting at them with some pipe cleaners might do a more semi-permanent job.
Viper
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby soc » Wed Jun 30, 2004 4:02 pm

Viper wrote:I recently got some Top End Treatment and it sure does work a treat, just figured that seeing as all the stuff does is clean them, maybe actually getting at them with some pipe cleaners might do a more semi-permanent job.

If you do try let us know how you get on - I'd be interested to know. I'm just going on what Paul recommeded :-)
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Viper » Wed Jun 30, 2004 4:21 pm

Well the car is in for a service sometime in the near future, so depending on what the guy quotes me to get it done I might consider it. I'm kinda lucky with him in a way because although he probably doesn't know too much about FTO's in general, he like working on it (and test driving it) so is always willing to give a good quote in order to get his hands on it!
Viper
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Return to FTO Technical