Web designers: FTO-Ireland needs you!

If you've any comments on what might make fto-ireland.com a better site, post them here.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby CJ » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:44 am

The look and feel of the main site is looking a bit dated now after 4 years, I've been planning to upgrade it but just haven't found the time (that and the fact that my web design skills are pretty basic if I'm honest).

Are there any web designers out there who would be willing to lend a hand to re-skin fto-ireland.com? Creativity and inspirastion required!

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CJ » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:43 pm

Assistance still required guys, the main site design if looking a bit dated after nearly 5 years and I'm keen to update it. All I need is a new template and I can do the rest.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby colm_mcm » Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:00 pm

On a side note

It'd be nice to have a proper spec guide. All the ones on the net I've found are missing info or are just incorrect. A page with full model lineup, spec and performance comparison with lots of detail and pictures would be nice.
I'm sure we could agree on what was standard and what was optional, maybe get some pictures of the extras (dials, scuff plates, momo wheel etc. get pictures of members cars with different kits and spoilers available. Answer a lot of the FAQ's that come up on the forum?
colm_mcm

Postby CJ » Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:09 pm

Point taken Colm, the buying guide attempts to answer many of these questions but I accept its not complete.

I'd like to get the 'look n' feel' of the site updated first, if people wouild be willing the take the lead in terms of content development on guides, info, etc, I'd fully support them (my FTO knowledge is finite after all ;)).

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby colm_mcm » Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:28 pm

I'd be happy to compile pictures, content etc. bit of a nerd you see!
colm_mcm

Postby CJ » Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:12 pm

colm_mcm wrote:I'd be happy to compile pictures, content etc. bit of a nerd you see!

Good stuff Colm, will keep you in mind :)

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Daz » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:36 am

It may be just me but i actually like the website as it is .... it's user friendly not overcomplecated and the colours aren't in your face or hurt your eyes when staring at the screen for a few hours, (unlike some other sites i've been on when looking for stuff) as a tech novice i find it ideal, Ok maybe a refresh won't hurt but i wouldn't make changes just for the sake of it.

Daz...
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive, anyway.
18 yrs an owner presently on my 4th a Manual Gpx with twin turbo conversion, in Daytona Blue
Daz
Financially Troubled & Overdrawn!

Postby colm_mcm » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:33 am

I think its the main site that's being updated?
colm_mcm

Postby CJ » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:22 pm

I've been tricking about with a design I leeched off one of the open source web template sites, comment please:

http://www.fto-ireland.com/templates/highway/

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby colm_mcm » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:31 pm

don't like it. too dark.

when's the lunar meet happening by the way? I presume it's MIVEC's only?
colm_mcm

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:09 pm

colm_mcm wrote:.....when's the lunar meet happening by the way? I presume it's MIVEC's only?

Well you need a fair bit of power to break orbit - so I guess the mivec manuals have the best shot of making the lunar meet. :wink:

BTW - I like the site as it is - its easy to use - most of the motor forums have way too busy pages and are difficult to navigate.

If we leave it long enough the site will have that retro look - just like the FTO. :lol:
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby colm_mcm » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:57 pm

Myfeckin FTO wrote:Well you need a fair bit of power to break orbit - so I guess the mivec manuals have the best shot of making the lunar meet. :wink: :lol:

A manual conversion and some tinfoil shouldn't be that expensive.

I like the forum as it is, just the opening page and information pages are looking old. I presume that's all you're changing CJ?
colm_mcm

Postby CJ » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:09 pm

Myfeckin FTO wrote:
BTW - I like the site as it is - its easy to use - most of the motor forums have way too busy pages and are difficult to navigate.

Point taken, if it ain't broken don't fix it.

lunar commander wrote:I like the forum as it is, just the opening page and information pages are looking old. I presume that's all you're changing CJ?

Yep, just the 'main' site, I think it could do with a bit of modernising and updating. I'm all for simple looking websites a 'busy' page is too much on the eyes.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Muad_dib77 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:03 am

maybe keep the layout and change the colour scheme - a new set of buttons could be done in a jiffy..

I too am a fan of the non-busy look...
when I 1st got my fto I found it very easy to navigate the site and it meant that I stayed a wee bit longer and subsequently found this forum..happy days..
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Tiomáint sé cosúil go bhfuil tú déanach i gcás maise!
Muad_dib77

Postby colm_mcm » Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:15 am

I know I'm back to the content thing, but maybe you could intergrate more of the FTO knowlegdebase into the main page, would be nice to find all the definitive answers on the main page without searching the forum?
I know when I was looking for my FTO I had a lot of questions, the main page relies on a lot of external info from other sites.
colm_mcm

Postby Sebastian » Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:31 am

colm give yer man a hand with this :wink:
no1. manual GR 96 l no2. tip GR 95 l no3. manual Gpx 95 l no.4 manual Gpx 95 l no.5 manual Gpx 96 l no.6 tip GR 95 - in 2011 took a break from the FTO scene
Sebastian

Postby Bernard » Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:39 am

How about something animated for the main site, flash perhaps...
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CJ » Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:52 pm

Bernard wrote:How about something animated for the main site, flash perhaps...

I'm not a fan of flash, again, too 'busy' looking and usually bandwidth intensive. IMO, the secret of a successful site is to keep it simple in terms of design and make sure your content is structured in an easy to access fashion.

More suggestions on layout and content appreciated, once we have sufficient input, myself and the mods will attempt to get some concensus on a final design.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dragonheart » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:15 pm

How about the main picture being one off one of the meets, where there were loads of FTO's lined up?
Or a picture of all the different types of FTO's there are?
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby ikeane » Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:27 am

Well seeing as everyone is throwing in 2 cents...

The main page could have a lo/hi bandwidth version but then it'd prob be a lot more work.

I like the sample template, it doesn't have to be any more complicated than this site with regards to use.

I agree the main page could do with a little something.
ikeane
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby Daz » Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:43 am

Dragonheart wrote:How about the main picture being one off one of the meets,

I don't think thats a good idea, every year the FTOOC do a calender and every year it causes arguements peoples ego's inevitable get in the way they think their picture is better or if it is a picture without their car in it they might get upset, i do behind the sceens like the idea but i've sceen first hand what can happen when you start to use owners cars, But cj if it is a way you would like to go don't worry about me pick one without me in it even, my ego ain't that big (laughing from back of the room) never entered into the FTOOC calender either, couldn't stand the infighting...

Daz...
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive, anyway.
18 yrs an owner presently on my 4th a Manual Gpx with twin turbo conversion, in Daytona Blue
Daz

Postby Dragonheart » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:52 am

Good point, I was thinking of the pic thats of the 5 fto's outside the castle in Galway I think it is? Dont know whose cars they were, but I know for one that I wouldnt be bothered about mine being in it or not, but a shot like that does make ftos look class.
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Sebastian » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:21 pm

Is there any update on this CJ .
Especialy now when all the new bizz cards are out ......
no1. manual GR 96 l no2. tip GR 95 l no3. manual Gpx 95 l no.4 manual Gpx 95 l no.5 manual Gpx 96 l no.6 tip GR 95 - in 2011 took a break from the FTO scene
Sebastian

Postby Mickthepieman » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:53 am

I am with lunar commander and Myfeckin FTO, I like the feel and ease of use on the site. A full spec guide would be usefully.
Mickthepieman
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby CJ » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:20 pm

Sebastian wrote:Is there any update on this CJ

Nothing Seb, I don't have the time or skill to do it myself - I'm a firm believer in doing something properly or not at all.

Final call - any web designers out there?

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Suggestions, announcements and updates