just wondering

General FTO discussion only

Moderator: Moderators

just wondering

Postby sideshowstimp » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:29 pm

is this a domb question but keep seeing lots of fto's for sale as ralliart can anyone fill me in on what this should mean?
thanks stimp
sideshowstimp
Super unleaded
Super unleaded

Re: just wondering

Postby sideshowstimp » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:31 pm

ha sorry sounds even dumber if you cant spell dumb.
sideshowstimp
Super unleaded
Super unleaded

Postby Dragonheart » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:26 am

FTOs were sold as a grey import in the UK in 2001 by RalliArt. They are the ones they're on about, most FTOs are imported from Japan but the RalliArt ones are registered in the UK.
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Mitsumaniac » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:30 pm

Just preparing advert to sale my Ralliart FTO, but always thought that Ralliart ones were an "official import" and term "grey import" refers to the cars imported by people themself or by car dealers. :?:
http://www.newhorizonstyling.com - Wide range of GRP and Carbon fibre panels
Mitsumaniac
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby Dragonheart » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:44 pm

Mitsumaniac wrote:term "grey import" refers to the cars imported by people themself or by car dealers. :?:

Sorry, you're right, I always used grey import for any imported car but a grey import is one that is legally brought into a country but not by an official dealer or the manufacturer. So the RalliArt ones are an official import. (I presume RalliArt is an official dealer of Mitsubishi?)
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby richardc9052 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:59 pm

For insurance reasons (to scam people of there monies) the "official imports" (ralliart's) are classed as 2L GPX MI-VEC and the "grey imports" are classed as DE3A Imports... now the thing is every FTO a De3a import and a 2L GPX MI-VEC (not sure why the - is there??) so you can easily change the logbook to read either, preferrably the 2L GPX MI-VEC as this is what insurance companies preffer for some absolutely bonkers reason........... i will never understand insurance companies unless i get a job in one! lol
Cos they are "GORGEOUS" - StewyD32
richardc9052
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:23 pm

Dragonheart wrote:
Mitsumaniac wrote:term "grey import" refers to the cars imported by people themself or by car dealers. :?:

Sorry, you're right, I always used grey import for any imported car but a grey import is one that is legally brought into a country but not by an official dealer or the manufacturer. So the RalliArt ones are an official import. (I presume RalliArt is an official dealer of Mitsubishi?)

Ralliart is the performance arm of Mitsubishi and in 2000/2001 were importing/selling a few of the Mitsubishi sports models like the Evo and FTO. These model Ralliart FTOs could be bought new at 23,500GBP at the time in the UK (quite expensive really). They were all Mivec models and AFAIK mostly manuals and were near enough identical to the import spec GPX's apart from rear fog and an exhaust.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Bernard » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:33 am

Whoever had the idea of butchering the rear bumper for the sake of a fog light has a lot to answer for.
Especially given how easy it is to modify the inner brake lights.
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to General FTO Discussion