Hatchbacks

Discuss other marques here

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Hatchbacks

Postby Bernard » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:38 pm

I'm surprised Mustang hasn't posted, doesn't he have a focus for sale?
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Wildhound » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:48 pm

Automatic Mfto? Tsk tsk, getting lazy. ;)

The Saab convertibles are lovely though!
[2009] 1995 GPX Manual - Silver (With added WIN™)
[2007] 1995 GPX Manual - Army Camo Green
Wildhound
My first-born will be christened 'MIVEC'
My first-born will be christened 'MIVEC'

Postby Mustang » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:49 pm

My choice would be either the mazda 3 -the lift back (longer shape one) Think that shape is better looking than the hatch back shape. Just for the Jap realiability etc. Never driven one. Or alternatively a ford focus -reliable, cheap and widely available parts, simple to work on -every mechanic knows their way around them. If going for a Mk II it'd have to be at least a 1.6 either perol or diesel -I'd be inclined towards the oil burner myself. Decent handling -for the class of car that it is.
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Mustang » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:00 pm

Bernard wrote:I'm surprised Mustang hasn't posted, doesn't he have a focus for sale?

:wink: Bernard I actually started typing my post before you (probably) but took ages to type as I was on the phone.
I have not been proactive with selling the car at all. Partly because I've gotten used to having a sensible car around -my "Clark Kent" car as one friend referred to it :) . And partly becasue I'd probably end up replacing it anyway. I might actually put some effort into selling it the next time the tax or insurance falls due.
When approaching a purchase such as this I think it's best to put your 'civilian' hat on and treat the transaction the same way you would treat the purchase of some white goods for the house. Such cars should be bought with the head not the heart.

Agree with above comments regarding the focus 1.4. Acceptable in the Mk 1, but just too underpowered in the mk2.

I know nothing about them but, on the assumption of jap reliability I'd maybe consider a mitsi Charisma. Cheap and way under budget.
Speaking for myself I'd consider an early naughties primera or avensis hatch (not that common -nearly all saloons on the Irish market). Again way under budget. Would this size car be too big?
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Muad_dib77 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:37 pm

Sorry Mustang.. I have to step in here having taken my driving license in a Charisma..

Oh dear god! Horrible piece of machinery..I was in the 2 liter version, and there was nothing happening at all. I've had more fun staring at a wall.

I suppose it is pratical, yes.. but no..
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Tiomáint sé cosúil go bhfuil tú déanach i gcás maise!
Muad_dib77

Postby Mustang » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:27 pm

Muad_dib77 wrote:Sorry Mustang.. I have to step in here having taken my driving license in a Charisma..

Oh dear god! Horrible piece of machinery..I was in the 2 liter version, and there was nothing happening at all. I've had more fun staring at a wall.

I suppose it is pratical, yes.. but no..

Fair enough -again think white goods, when was the last time you bought an exciting fridge!
My logic is just -cheap, Jap, reliable, decent size. 1.3 would be easy to tax and insure. I would fully expect it to be dull as dish water. It all depends on what you want out of it I suppose.
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Muad_dib77 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:51 am

you talking smack about my fridge-freezer? ;-)

I hear ya..

It's all very subjective really..
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Tiomáint sé cosúil go bhfuil tú déanach i gcás maise!
Muad_dib77

Postby Dilogoat86 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:31 pm

I'm just gonna get another ball rolling...Citroën C4 Coupé. I know you said not French, but I think the C4 kind of doesn't apply. The 2.0 HDi is very efficient too (after all the French are very good at diesel) has 135BHP and handles well. 5 star NCAP, 4 for child, 3 for peds. Engine is co-developed by Ford so it's not made of cheese and dreams.
Currently in my collection:
'98 Toyota Starlet...
'79 Mini Clubman 1380cc ~100BHP (I hope)
'79 BMW 728
Dilogoat86
I prefer my FTO to the missus
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Postby Mustang » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:46 pm

Dilogoat86 wrote:I'm just gonna get another ball rolling...Citroën C4 Coupé. I know you said not French, but I think the C4 kind of doesn't apply. The 2.0 HDi is very efficient too (after all the French are very good at diesel) has 135BHP and handles well. 5 star NCAP, 4 for child, 3 for peds. Engine is co-developed by Ford so it's not made of cheese and dreams.

I suspect that when CJ said no French cars what he meant was NO FRENCH CARS UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES but I could be wrong :wink:
Lets be clear on this as well, it's a 3dr hatch back not a coupe, unless you fall for the marketing BS. I'm assuming this will be a third car, and as such would get ocassional use - Despite the efficiency I think it would be hard to justify 2L tax for such a car.
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:57 pm

The C4 "coupe" is a good left field choice - though if doing smallish miles then I'm sure the 1.4 would suit just fine - http://www.carzone.ie/search/Citroen/C4 ... annel=CARS
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby colm_mcm » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:26 pm

The 1.4 is a dead duck though.

Also 3rd totally impractical for babbies, otherwise why not just keep the FTO?
colm_mcm

Previous

Return to Other Cars