NCT advice

Discuss issues related to the NCT \ MOT

Moderator: Moderators

NCT advice

Postby JohnM » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:20 pm

Hey guys. I have a question regarding fog lights. I have them on the front of the car so im assuming by law here the car needs a rear fog light as well. Im not 100% sure on what else it needs doing. The car is just in from Japan so any advice or tips on common probs with fto's that the car might fail on would be class :D
JohnM
1st gear
1st gear

Postby Bernard » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:23 pm

A rear foglight isn't legally required here, just the UK.
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby karlf » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:00 pm

Best thing to do is get a pre NCT done. That way you'll know exactly what needs to be fixed. They are not expensive about the same as the nct itself (I think). Atleast that way you'll no what it passed/failed on. Not all mechanics would do this but I have heard stories where people have been advised to get things done and find out it would have passed anyway.
karlf
I'm addicted to my FTO
I'm addicted to my FTO

Postby Uncle B » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:20 pm

I reckon its better to do the NCT first and then fixed whats needs to be fixed after...
Get out of here Nebulon! No one likes your style...
Uncle B
I prefer my FTO to the missus
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Postby colm_mcm » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:55 pm

karlf wrote:Best thing to do is get a pre NCT done. That way you'll know exactly what needs to be fixed. They are not expensive about the same as the nct itself (I think). Atleast that way you'll no what it passed/failed on. Not all mechanics would do this but I have heard stories where people have been advised to get things done and find out it would have passed anyway.

Would disagree with the above, a retest is only €27.50 or something, a pre NCT could cost in excess of €100 and they could still miss something that could fail you. some garages may also recommend work that is unnecessary in a bid to sell more parts and charge more labour.
colm_mcm

Return to NCT \ MOT