My Levin BZR

A forum dedicated to quick Japanese motors

Moderator: Moderators

My Levin BZR

Postby johnny » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:23 am

Folks,

Since I sold the FTO and got the Levin I feel I'm not being taken seriously on here anymore (joke :lol: )

So I thought I'd share some info/pics about my Levin BZR.....

She is currently stock apart from:

- 5zigen cat back
- TRD grounding kit
- Apexi panel filter
- De-badged
- Bomex bumper and cusco power ball manifold to be added SOON!

For those of you not familiar....the BZR has a 4AGE 20V blacktop engine and super struts as standard.

Future plans include (money permitting):

- Pipercross PX600 cold air box
- Toda cams/valve springs
- TRD flywheel
- TOMS ecu
- Few other bits and bobs such as seats, clutch etc

I believe with the right combination of mods the blacktop engine can produce 190bhp at the fly!!!! Wish me luck!!!

Any comments good or bad welcome :lol:

johnny
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:50 am

Looks like as nice an example of a Levin as I have seen.

If it was my car - I'd whip off the rear spoiler and delock the boot (clean lines), tint side indicators, lower it slightly and add a set of Gunmetal Rota rims.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby colm_mcm » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:55 am

Very clean car. Congrats.

As far as I know, Corolla standard clear indicators (00-02, 02-07) will fit the Levin.
colm_mcm

Postby Muad_dib77 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:37 am

Very nice & Clean..

a levin was in my "list of options" when I bought the FTO - in the end I fell in love with the FTO before I had a chance to test drive a levin.. how do you find the cornering?

oh and yes - they can become quite nippy with the right mods - or so I've been told anyways ;-)
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Tiomáint sé cosúil go bhfuil tú déanach i gcás maise!
Muad_dib77

Postby johnny » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:28 pm

Cheers lads....kind comments!

Yeah myfeckin lowering and boot lock are on the list of things to do now thanks to you :lol: .....am happy with the spoiler though, rims are fine for now and yeah maybe side indicators could be sorted. Thanks for your input!

Maud - the cornering is excellent. It was miles better than my old GPX BUT...and its a big BUT....my GPX had cracked bushes all over and nearly bald tyres
:lol:

Would have loved to have the FTOs handling sorted to compare. Saying that, the Levin is a fabulous handling car and I wouldnt be at all suprised if she was better than an FTO.

She is very twitchy in the wet however, but thats down to my cheap summer tyres.

Ive long term plans for her as it is a good base to modify into a very quick car....Ive heard of lads having 0-60 times of under 6 seconds...all be it a lot of cash spent and no rear seats etc.

When I think she is ready ill bring her on a quater mile day and humiliate you big boys with your V6's :lol:

All that said... still wish I could afford a GPX :cry:
johnny
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:14 pm

johnny wrote:.....When I think she is ready ill bring her on a quater mile day and humiliate you big boys with your V6's :lol: ....

That'll be a first then - there wasn't any Levin within an asses roar of my GPX at the Limerick 1/4mile over the past few years and its not like there was any shortage of them there. You are unlikely to be able to get a Levin to the same power to weight ratio (180bhp per ton) as a stripped GPX manual.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Wildhound » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:39 pm

I wasn't going to say anything because I knew you wouldn't be one to let a comment like that go unpunished Mfto. ;)
Wildhound
My first-born will be christened 'MIVEC'
My first-born will be christened 'MIVEC'

Postby johnny » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:40 pm

Myfeckin FTO wrote:
johnny wrote:.....When I think she is ready ill bring her on a quater mile day and humiliate you big boys with your V6's :lol: ....

That'll be a first then - there wasn't any Levin within an asses roar of my GPX at the Limerick 1/4mile over the past few years and its not like there was any shortage of them there. You are unlikely to be able to get a Levin to the same power to weight ratio (180bhp per ton) as a stripped GPX manual.

Haha....I was being sarcastic myfeckin..... :lol:

I owned a GPX....I know it would take a lot to keep up in a Levin
johnny
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby colm_mcm » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:49 pm

What was the reason for changing to the Levin?
colm_mcm

Postby johnny » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:56 pm

colm_mcm wrote:What was the reason for changing to the Levin?

Flipped my GSR into a ditch :cry:

Had to sell the FTO for the GSR coz got €3800 insurance renewal quote. I imported the GPX before getting any quotes...sure the price of it meant I could sell for a profit anyway....

Paid nearly 1000 euro to insure it for the remaining few months of my policy but couldnt stomach to pay the 3800 renewal (am only 20, was 19 when I had the FTO ).

The Levin is only 1100 to insure!

Oh, myfeckin, a standard non-stripped GPX would only make around 160hp per ton. (Im aware yours was on a diet)

I reckon I could get the levin over that.....with a fair chunk of cash.
johnny
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:43 pm

johnny wrote:Oh, myfeckin, a standard non-stripped GPX would only make around 160hp per ton. (Im aware yours was on a diet)

You will no doubt get circa 160bhp per ton if you knock 50-60kgs from the BZR but you still wouldn't better a stripped GPX Man. Good luck in getting 190bhp from a 1.6 litre engine regardless of expensive mods like TODA cams + ECU etc. I reckon the Levin engine is every bit near the limit of its tuning as the FTO mivec engine is. Like you say you'd have to throw a wad of cash at it and its not worth it anymore than its worth throwing a wad of cash on performance parts on a 10 year old FTO.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Sebastian » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:55 pm

very nice & clean car . lower it
no1. manual GR 96 l no2. tip GR 95 l no3. manual Gpx 95 l no.4 manual Gpx 95 l no.5 manual Gpx 96 l no.6 tip GR 95 - in 2011 took a break from the FTO scene
Sebastian

Postby johnny » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:25 am

Myfeckin FTO wrote:
johnny wrote:Oh, myfeckin, a standard non-stripped GPX would only make around 160hp per ton. (Im aware yours was on a diet)

Good luck in getting 190bhp from a 1.6 litre engine regardless of expensive mods like TODA cams + ECU etc. I reckon the Levin engine is every bit near the limit of its tuning as the FTO mivec engine is.

Yeah if Im honest Im doubtful of hitting 190bhp BUT APPARENTLY it can be done. Ya see the blacktop engine differs from Vtecs and Mivecs in the sense the VVT technology kicks in to improve TORQUE. Drive a Civic Type R and then a BZR and youll immeadiately notice the superior low down torque of the Levin.

In terms of the Levin being near the limit of tuning.....far from. For example, the stock exhaust manifold is the biggest afterthought imaginable. It is very restrictive to the extent in has tabs inside it to quieten the engine note. Then theres the individual throttle bodies...if got right they can make a huge difference.

Bla bla bla :lol:
johnny
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby ftolam13 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:40 pm

Very nice car
if you still had control, you haven't been fast enough 8)
ftolam13
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Return to Japanese Performance