Oil leak

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Oil leak

Postby CJ » Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:45 pm

I've an oil leak @ the back of the engine, it appears to be seeping down from above the head gasket. I havn't had an opportunity to get a good look underneath but the leak is coming from the rear bank above the head. I replaced the rocker cover gasket not so long ago so I know its not that. Anyone any ideas on the gasket required?

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby steelroe » Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:41 pm

CJ
I have the same problem since I bought my GPX, the oil on mine is leaking from between the top of the head and the bottom of the Camshaft block. Nothing major if yours is the same. The oil is visible around the altenator and down the back of the engine. I am going to repair this when i replace the back bank of plugs, some day soon. The seal used is tube gasket and the torque on the bolts is specified in the manuals
steelroe
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:55 am

steelroe wrote: The seal used is tube gasket and the torque on the bolts is specified in the manuals

Nice one Rory, is tube gasket the correct term (sorry never heard of it :wink: ) As in your case, its not serious but my driveway is getting blacker by the day and the engine stinks after a hard run. I'm also concerned about oil geting on the belts. You only seem to be able to buy the entire gasket kit, do you know which of the gaskets below if the tube gasket?

CJ

CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CJ » Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:08 pm

Just wondering did you get around to this Rory, if so, where did you pick up the gasket?

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby steelroe » Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:35 pm

I used WURTH black rtv instant gasket,
steelroe
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:36 pm

steelroe wrote:I used WURTH black rtv instant gasket,

OK, so theres no prefabricated gasket as such, I assume this stuff can be picked up in the motor factors handy enough. Is it listed here by any chance?

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to FTO Technical