Passed :)

Discuss issues related to the NCT \ MOT

Moderator: Moderators

Passed :)

Postby CJ » Wed Nov 05, 2003 7:58 pm

Had the NCT this afternoon and passed first time :D
Click on this link for a copy of the test report.

I had the pleasure of meeting Garlaf and his missus @ the test centre, luckily the tester didn't get confused between the 2 steel silver FTOs in the car park ;) By the way, Garlaf, how did the gf's Punto do in the end?
Remember the 'Dub' tester you mentioned? He tested mine and was dead sound, recommended I get it undersealed which I was thinking about doing anyway.

Now where did I put that cat-bypass pipe...

Ciaran

As a afternote, I noticed that the weight of the car is down as 1307kg, where the hell did the extra 117kg come from?!? Half a tank of petrol dosn't weight that much ffs! Can any GPX Tip owners out there check their last NCT report for comparisions? GPX, no more cream cakes for you! ;)
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Eamon » Thu Nov 06, 2003 7:58 am

Nice one CJ.
I had trouble with mine the last time - the testers in Deansgrange initially failed it on emissions, but I told them that I had had the cat replaced since the previous test so the guy I was talking to at the front desk tested it again for me. He had to rev the sh*t out of it to get the engine oil up to a decent temperature and he finally managed to get it through. Can't remember exactly, but he couldn't get the temp up to anything like 81 degrees (unlike yours), as the fans kept cutting in and cooling the engine (which I would have though is a good thing).
PS - I had taken it for a hard spin before heading for the test centre.

E.
Eamon
Speed freak
Speed freak

Postby Kace » Thu Nov 06, 2003 8:20 pm

CJ - I notice your CO emission was 0.26 at high idle. Mine was right on the limit at 0.3 at my last test 2 years ago so I'm a bit anxious about it now.

What are the top tips for getting this number down a little for the day - aprt from the obvious driving the bejesus out of the thing before you get there ?

Is Super any better ?
Do any fuel additives help ?

Any suggestions?

Kace
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Thu Nov 06, 2003 8:30 pm

As regards fuel, I usually use SUL but I've been using 95 Octane UL for the past month cos I've gotton lazy! (theres a Shell garage just around the corner and the nearest Esso is a 20min drive away). As regards additives, give some injector cleaner a try, this has worked for others in the past. If you're cat is damaged or is full of deposits, this can bring the CO level up as well.

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Eamon » Fri Nov 07, 2003 7:32 am

Kace,
You guys can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the engine oil temperature is a factor when calculating the emissions percentages. It seems to me that the higher you can get the oil temp to be, the more favourable the emission results.

E.
Eamon
Speed freak
Speed freak

Postby Kace » Fri Nov 07, 2003 8:00 pm

Surely the oil temperature stabilises once the engine is heated up ? I presume the best way to get it heated is to cane the engine hard just before going to the Centre ?

On a separate note, anyone succeeded in passing the NCT without the CAT ?
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Daz » Fri Nov 07, 2003 8:10 pm

Kace wrote:Surely the oil temperature stabilises once the engine is heated up ? I presume the best way to get it heated is to cane the engine hard just before going to the Centre ?

On a separate note, anyone succeeded in passing the NCT without the CAT ?

I did two years ago but needed it this time round
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive, anyway.
18 yrs an owner presently on my 4th a Manual Gpx with twin turbo conversion, in Daytona Blue
Daz
Financially Troubled & Overdrawn!
Financially Troubled & Overdrawn!

Postby JD » Fri Nov 07, 2003 11:14 pm

I had my emissions checked out yesterday, (doing the NCT shortly) and as usual unless I can keep the temperature up high it's going to fail.

I've scoured the net for a product that clears out the crap in the cat and came across this one http://www.cataclean.co.uk/pages/contact.html

I've been in touch with their distributor in the UK and he's going to get me a litre to test out. When I've used it I'll have the emissions checked again and let you know if it works or not. It is supposed to be a once a year treatment.

JD
JD
I prefer my FTO to the missus
I prefer my FTO to the missus

weight?

Postby mark » Mon Nov 17, 2003 2:01 pm

Just back to the weight question,
My Manual GR came in at 1207kg which appears to be a hell of a lot lighter than the GPX-is this normal?
mark
I'm addicted to my FTO
I'm addicted to my FTO

Re: weight?

Postby CJ » Mon Nov 17, 2003 2:08 pm

mark wrote:Just back to the weight question,
My Manual GR came in at 1207kg which appears to be a hell of a lot lighter than the GPX-is this normal?

A manual GR is rated @ 1150kg while a Tip GPX weighs in @ 1190kg (+20kg for gearbox, +20kg for Mivec). The only things I have in mine that would add to the overall weight is an amp, 2 strut braces and about 5kgs of soundproofing material. I'd be interested to see what other cars weigh in at.

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to NCT \ MOT