Buying private - someone to look over

Use this forum to buy or sell your FTO or FTO parts (Private adverts only)

Moderator: Moderators

Buying private - someone to look over

Postby Sleppeah » Fri Nov 05, 2004 3:09 pm

I'm thinking of buying a 95 GPX (Dublin), is there a garage or something where I can get someone who knows FTO's to just look it over? Does anyone do this type of thing?
Sleppeah
1st gear
1st gear

Postby CJ » Fri Nov 05, 2004 3:47 pm

Sleppeah, whereabouts in Dublin are you based? I'm sure one of us could go along with you when you're checking out the car.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Buying private - someone to look over

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Fri Nov 05, 2004 3:52 pm

Sleppeah wrote:I'm thinking of buying a 95 GPX (Dublin), is there a garage or something where I can get someone who knows FTO's to just look it over? Does anyone do this type of thing?

Would imagine that Paul Nolan would be your best bet in Dublin - details on the services page. He would be able to point out any potential probs or point to typical probs with an FTO of this age - belts/stepper motor/ARB bushes/ droplinks etc. Would be a good way also of getting someone down on their asking price. Imagine you'd probably need to bring the car over to him to have a look at.

MfFTO
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Fri Nov 05, 2004 4:03 pm

CJ wrote:Sleppeah, whereabouts in Dublin are you based? I'm sure one of us could go along with you when you're checking out the car.

CJ

CJ got in ahead of me again while I was typing - if he's good enough to offer I'd take him up on it - he won't miss a trick with regard to viewing the car. Would still be nice to get it up on a ramp though.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Speedyboy » Fri Nov 05, 2004 4:37 pm

Just dont take any advice from Cj about modifications using building products :D
Wavin - Unrivalled European supplier of plastic pipe systems
Speedyboy
I prefer my FTO to the missus
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Postby CJ » Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:03 pm

Speedyboy wrote:Just dont take any advice from Cj about modifications using building products :D

OT, but the 9" Wavin didn't work out, it was too big in the end (I did manage to make a Wavin headshield mind you, pics to follow), now if I could get my hands on some 8"....

Stay tuned for soundproofing tips using roof tiles...

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:20 pm

CJ wrote:Stay tuned for soundproofing tips using roof tiles...

CJ

:lol: Yeah - And I've managed to lower my car by just filling the boot with concrete blocks - also gives very entertaining handling on the roundabouts.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby steelroe » Sat Nov 06, 2004 12:15 am

I have bought 3 different models of FTO over the past 2 months and to be honest I never pay attention to droplinks, bushes etc. These are going to go with time anyway. Main thing is to ensure body is straight, engine and transmission have been looked after and after that cosmetics. One thing that I have noticed lately is that a lot of FTO's tend to have torn driver seat covers. Also check lacquer on headlights, water in lights, condition of CV joints. And there is a buyers guide available somewhere on this site.
steelroe
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to For Sale