suspension woes

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

suspension woes

Postby nairnman » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:16 pm

i got cusco coilovers on my gr but i didn't fit them they were on the car when i bought it. when i jack up the car the whole wheel can move up and down freely. wtf i thought it was supposed to be solid or rigid. having a closer look it seems to be same on all four corners? the top mount does not move and secure but the actual coilover unit moves including all related components. what can i do or is this normal. the car is very stiff and bad on the road, on private land going anything over 100mph is scary as i feel i could lose control its that stiff. my coilovers seem to be the cusco zero 1 but cannot find any numbers on the except cusco on top mount. there's height adjustment and caber adjustment so how would i change the stiffness to a softer setting. please help i dislike the car for this one problem

1996 gr sport
nairnman
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Re: suspension woes

Postby optical illusion » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:30 pm

How much does it move by? That doesn't sound right. It wouldn't be absorbing properly if it's moving a lot.
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby StewyD32 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:47 am

Does that screw on top look not tightened or is that just me. It might seem like a silly question but did you check that. If it is moving as you say it is, it's fecked. Get a new set before you do more damage
Silver 97 Mirage Asti V coupe
Burgundy 95 GR
Silver 95 GPX
StewyD32
Full Throttle Owner!
Full Throttle Owner!

Postby nairnman » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:40 pm

its mves quite a lot if you can imagine going over a bump and getting air the wheel would still be on ground untill theres nothing left. or lifting wheel up and down about 5 inches or more. i was thinking getting standard components with lowering springs for comfort but in my mind im chucking expensive stuff away. i will take all four coilovers off one by one and check for damage and clean up. what does the nut on top do as i didnt want to make things worse. i know the nut on standard suspension keeps the spring together but these seem different and many thanks for the replies
1996 gr sport
nairnman
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby nairnman » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:07 pm

well i think i found out what the knocking is. i have pillow ball mount strut top and the pillow ball must be on its way out or the nut on top need to be tighter but everytime i turn it, its move the entire coil so will have a go at that tommor in the mean time heres a picture of coilover in question, what are the bolt bits sticking out from the coilover body, one last thing do i move the entire lower bracket up the threaded bit to lower or just the lock nut under the spring many thanks
1996 gr sport
nairnman
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby FTOCUZON » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:27 pm

Ive got the same coilovers on my GPX well actually just taken them off as one of the rears was leaking oil so gotta figure out what to do with them Ive been in contact with a few suspension / part companys and looks like the only way to get them repaired is sending them straight back to Japan !!!! which is annoying.

I know what you mean about the cuscos beeing rock solid but the handling on a smooth road is epic !!! not so on a uneven surface.

The bolts that are sticking out are for the GPX and some other versions to hold i belive its the abs cable ?

and the part numbers for the coilovers are under the dustcovers located behind the spring.

let me know how you get on fixing your problem
FTOCUZON
Super unleaded
Super unleaded

Postby nairnman » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:16 pm

im not bothering fixing which is a shame. i bought all four standard shocks of a broken car and also got apex lowering springs (new) coming. replacing all droplinks, will my car be softer on our roads or just the same with being lowered? i did get in touch with a company who takes the cusco shocks and sends them to a contact in japan but will cost a fortune thats why it was more cost effective the route i have taken, good luck ill try and find number again.
1996 gr sport
nairnman
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby FTOCUZON » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:23 pm

Was thinking about going that road myself standard setup with lowering springs but to be honest I dont drive my FTO that and love the feel of the FTO with the cuscos fitted.

Couple of questions for you nairnman

Have you still got the cuscos ? if so are the rears in working condition and if so would you consider selling me the suspension for spares ?
FTOCUZON
Super unleaded
Super unleaded

Postby nairnman » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:23 pm

i got all four still i have notice a washer rattling about on the rear coilover i cant remember which side will have a look for you but will sell cheap to you once i looked it over
1996 gr sport
nairnman
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby FTOCUZON » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:29 pm

Cheers mate I would appreciate it would be better than waiting months for my one broken coileover to travel accross the world i think with the rears as well you can swap them round as in there is'ent a percific left and right rear shock
FTOCUZON
Super unleaded
Super unleaded

Postby nairnman » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:42 pm

n problems my shocks should be here tommoro so will whip those off give them a clean and send the pictures then let me know. do you have anything for sale???
1996 gr sport
nairnman
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby FTOCUZON » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:27 am

Cheers mate

Yes I have got some dials for sale - some stainless steel dials for speedo, clock, volt etc they where purchased from here metalmonkey.co.uk
FTOCUZON
Super unleaded
Super unleaded

Postby nairnman » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:57 am

sorry m8 already got the dial kit with surrounds, name a price lol for the coilovers
1996 gr sport
nairnman
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby FTOCUZON » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:52 pm

Ok No worries

If you can send my some pics and just let me know what struts are in working order and if you can give me your address so I can work out a collection cost I can give you a price

cheers
FTOCUZON
Super unleaded
Super unleaded

Postby goz_83 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:52 pm

FTOCUZON wrote:Cheers mate

Yes I have got some dials for sale - some stainless steel dials for speedo, clock, volt etc they where purchased from here metalmonkey.co.uk

Got needle cups?
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby nairnman » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:01 pm

do you have a picture?
1996 gr sport
nairnman
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby FTOCUZON » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:40 pm

No needle cups I am afraid !

Wats your E-Mail address nairnman proberly would be easier to send some pics that way
FTOCUZON
Super unleaded
Super unleaded

Postby nairnman » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:48 pm

its robbiechapman2k9@gmail.com ill send my pictures via ur email
1996 gr sport
nairnman
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby FTOCUZON » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:02 pm